Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need some help here!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by asdff, Dec 20, 2004.

1. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm about to buy a plasma tv (the PW6) now as you know it has pretty much nothing but just the screen..

anyway, im hearing this stuff about buying a tuner and all that, im quite a n00b here and I hardly know anything about it, but can't I just put it on my receiver (AVR130) en my satalite set or on my simple Philips DVD/receiver in-one thingy? If no, what does a tuner exactly do? I'm also reading that with a tuner u wont have loads of cables (can't think up the right word?) hanging out of the back of ur screen? How does this work?

and second, do you have to buy boards to actually plug anything in? for example the TY-42TM6Y? Or which do I need? I need 1 scart, 1 DVI input (pc) and an input for my receiver (which one?).

Anything else I need except wallmounting/stand?

Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think you're main problem is that the HK AVR130 doesn't output component IIRR & you'd be better off replacing it with one that does so that you can do the following *:
    • AV Receiver to the plasma via component
    • DVD player to receiver via component
    • Tuner to receiver via whatever standard the tuner will output
    So the only terminal board you would need for the plasma would be the RCA component board.

* Assuming you don't have the budget to buy all HDMI kit :p

EDIT: What you could do is to buy the dual slot BNC component/S-Video/composite board & connect via S-Video & then upgrade the other kit to all component or HDMI as money allows.

3. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gosh, getting even more complicated :(

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218