need some help extending my sky hd into my kitchen

stolt

Standard Member
Hi I have sky hd installed in our house but i want to extend this into the ktchen using one of those sky eye type things, had a quick look on ebay for cable and there are various grades. The run will be max 20m.

theres some rg6 cable with two f connectors for about £8.00 which i thought was good price, is that the sort of thing i need to go for.

thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi I have sky hd installed in our house but i want to extend this into the ktchen using one of those sky eye type things, had a quick look on ebay for cable and there are various grades. The run will be max 20m.

theres some rg6 cable with two f connectors for about £8.00 which i thought was good price, is that the sort of thing i need to go for.

thanks

You don't need f connectors for this. The sky video output plus power for the magic eye comes out of rf2 out which is a standard belling lee male socket requiring a female plug. Simply run a coax from rf2 out to the magic eye in the other room and then to the TV. The sky output by defaukt will be on analogue channel 68 on rge kitchen TV. If you put your normal aerial into rf1 in on the skk box and use use rf1 out to pass it on to the rest of the equipment you have finishing with the Tv you will have the same terrestrial channels analogue and digital available on your kitchen TV. The magic eye's only used to transmit remote control commands back to the sky box.
You can use the f connectors though with suitable belling lee convertors

stolt

Standard Member
You don't need f connectors for this. The sky video output plus power for the magic eye comes out of rf2 out which is a standard belling lee male socket requiring a female plug. Simply run a coax from rf2 out to the magic eye in the other room and then to the TV. The sky output by defaukt will be on analogue channel 68 on rge kitchen TV. If you put your normal aerial into rf1 in on the skk box and use use rf1 out to pass it on to the rest of the equipment you have finishing with the Tv you will have the same terrestrial channels analogue and digital available on your kitchen TV. The magic eye's only used to transmit remote control commands back to the sky box.
You can use the f connectors though with suitable belling lee convertors

thanks for replying, so this is the kind of thing i need
20M SAT, FREEVIEW DIGITAL TV COAX AERIAL CABLE PLUS F's on eBay (end time 14-Oct-09 11:06:32 BST) and just put the standard ariel connectors at each end. its a sky hd box if thats makes any difference and will I get HD through that cable?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
thanks for replying, so this is the kind of thing i need
20M SAT, FREEVIEW DIGITAL TV COAX AERIAL CABLE PLUS F's on eBay (end time 14-Oct-09 11:06:32 BST) and just put the standard ariel connectors at each end. its a sky hd box if thats makes any difference and will I get HD through that cable?

Any coax cable should work fine, if you buy the cable just screw a male f to belling lee converter on one end a female at the other. You certainly can't get HD through this arangement, it's transmitted as an analogue SD TV channel with only mono sound so you have to tune a spare analogue slot into the transmission on the remote TV (By default it's on uhf channel 68). If by any chance your local transmitter uses 68 you will have to change the sky box modulator channel.

If you want to send HD you need a hdmi splitter and a pair of baluns which are wired with cat5e lan cable

HDMI over Cat 5 (Dual) Balun Pair - Long Distance HDMI

stolt

Standard Member
made me think about things now, maybe it would be better to put the hdmi cable so i have hd in there(kind of future proof it although not sure as its just the kitchen whether its needed) decisions, decisions. Is that HDMi like a signal sender and is it reliable. certainly a lot less hassle for me:)

will have to check to make sure there a good product though..

Just re-read that and you still have to use cables between the two hdmi cables, back to the standard coax cable then.

Last edited:

stolt

Standard Member
just need to ask another question, managed to get the coax cable from the sky hd into the nw kitchen, also thought it would be good to get the rf2 from the sky plus in the kids playroom into the kitchen, can i feed to signals into the same tv? just thinking that the whole point of having a tv in the kitchen was that if someone wanted to watch something else then they could go into the lounge, so in the kitchen we have the option of either sky box. Nightmare trying to get that under the hallway floorboards and along into the kitchen (not something i want to do again.

Is there perhaps a small switching unit that will switch between the two cables?

llama

amplifier thats powered, run RF2 in, both rooms as outputs. you can choose when/ how to watch each with control on each

MartinPickering

You need a Skylink compatible splitter. Dependent on the cable lengths, you may need a Skylink compatible amplified splitter.

Tony Hoyle

Any coax cable should work fine

Over 20m the standard brown stuff isn't going to fare well (been there, had to rip it out). You end up needing amplifiers etc.

You're better off with WF100.. it's not exactly expensive and there's far less loss over long runs.

stolt

Standard Member
Over 20m the standard brown stuff isn't going to fare well (been there, had to rip it out). You end up needing amplifiers etc.

You're better off with WF100.. it's not exactly expensive and there's far less loss over long runs.

Arrgh dont say that, just spent all weekend putting the brown stuff through walls and under floorboards....

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

MartinPickering

In my opinion, nobody should even be selling the so-called "low-loss" cable. It causes too many problems. Stick with WC100 or WF100 (or RG6 indoors for short runs).

stolt

Standard Member
You need a Skylink compatible splitter. Dependent on the cable lengths, you may need a Skylink compatible amplified splitter.

this the sort of thing you mean-

Labgear CA121-F. This is a 2-way distribution amplifier (8dBgain) which is compatible with the SkyLink "magic eye" remote extender systems (TV Link, DigiLink, SLXlink etc. on page 3), providing a 9 volt supply for all types of "magic eye". Requires threaded "F" connectors on the cable. Use double-shielded cable throughout. It can be powered by the Sky Digibox "RF Outlet 2" (or with any regulated 9 volt DC power supply fitted with a 3.5mm jack plug). Where amplification is not required (short cable runs) you may be able to use our low-cost 2-way passive splitter instead. The CA121-F is a budget version of the F120 below.

Attachments

• SLX2CF_2.jpg
    SLX2CF_2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 105

stolt

Standard Member
In my opinion, nobody should even be selling the so-called "low-loss" cable. It causes too many problems. Stick with WC100 or WF100 (or RG6 indoors for short runs).

Just had a look at what i bought and its ''RG6 U grade Satellite cable '' however i noticed you put indoors! mine goes outside then back in again...

stolt

Standard Member
bear with me, is this how i can get the amplifier set up, not aT the sky box end but at the tv end where i want both signals going to... apologies in advance for the picture.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SKY SETUP.JPG
    SKY SETUP.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom