Need some help, distortion through sub, replaced AV receiver and sub twice!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keiran85, Feb 18, 2014.

1. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all I need some help if anyone can.....

I originally had a Yamaha 371 Av receiver and Tannoy sfx 5.1 set up. About two years ago the unit over heated and since that day I had issues. Bass went completely to effectively nothing. Prior was fantastic. I started getting a lot of distortion and in the end had to just put up with the crossover being set pretty low on both the sub and the receiver. I used the YPAO mic to see if the receiver had reset and whereas before I had clear rich bass coming through half of setup had no noise what so ever and the bass sounded like a can of coke being opened.

I ended up selling the tannoy sub and the person who bought it said was it was working fantastically and has since had no issues so that made me assume the issue could of been the receiver but I opted to try a new sub 1st as I obviously needed one. I ended up buying a new sub and centre speaker. I got the wharfdale sw150 and diamond 10.cc.

Still the same issue. But of course I assumed it was the receiver causing the problem and was going to replace that at a later date, I had the cross over on the sub set to 85 and on the receiver to 80. I ended up with the sub at 55 and the receiver set to 60 to lower the distortion. I was constantly having to manually change the sub level depending on what I was watching. For music I'd have to set it to full to get any bass whatsoever. On films on scenes I know there was bass before I'd get nothing then fantastic bass for someone closing a door for example. I tried setting it up with the YPAO mic and same issue, pathetic bass, basically a little crackle and then the remaining set up silence on the subs turn also this time phase warnings which I could never get rid of. But like I said before assumed the unit had gone and was going to replace it in due course.

I took a year out of bothering with it all (due to a death within my family) I've now decided to get back into sorting it out. I replaced the Receiver this weekend with a Yamaha 475. I still have the same issue! Tried the YPAO and its the same as on the other receiver the bass sounds horrific, tinny and it only gives out one minute burst at the beginning of the setup then during the subs turn nothing at all. Exactly like with the Tannoy on the 371 and then the sw150 on the 371.

So my problem is, I don't know if the original 371 and the sw150 are both screwed or the new unit's just the same, or the sub is gone (which I replaced to sort the original problem out) Its really beginning to annoy me now. I cant of been that unlucky that the sub I got was also gone as well as the original unit.

I know for a fact on the YPAO setup there should be bass other than one fizzy, tinny growl at the beginning. I remember the set up well when I originally did this with my last set up, it was like the heartbeat of a giant. There's literally 40% of the setup now with nothing even though the indicators showing the sub as the output on them parts. Originally when I used this set up I'd go and have a cup of tea and wait for the last growl and that would be when I knew it was done. Now nothing (same on the other unit after it over heated)

The only thing I can assume is when I replaced the sub and put it onto the 371 this has damaged the sub from when the original receiver was broken. Can someone help me with this please as I'm out of ideas. I can't keep replacing subs and receivers willy-nilly and getting the same results. There has got to be something wrong here. The fact the setup puts nothing out is now baffling. Its like the sub isn't getting them frequencies or isn't bothering to put them out that's for sure.

2. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One other thing I've got the set up via optical for sky and bluray, replaced the sub cable 3 times and same results on all. Tried via hdmi as the audio source and the same.

3. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Bit of a conundrum indeed..
    Surely got to be a common link here..
    ...are you using the new mic ?

4. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yer used the new mic on both the old and new to check the original phase issue on the 371. The 475 sets up fine not a single issue and allows me to save. Just no bass on the test which is baffling me. I get one distorted fizz at the beginning then nothing when the subs highlighted. Same when I do a tone test all the speakers are fine just the sub.

I've been running it through some tests today had serveral sources of media going through it and from different inputs.

Regardless of mic though there should still be bass, it's like now it sounds fine until there's a scene change or certain action on screen.
    Spoke to wharfdale and they said take it back to the store, spoke to them and they said no problem if it's broke etc. But it can't be another one. Like I said the order went.

Avr blew> tannoy replacement for sw150>same issue replaced 371 for 475> same issue. Yet the tannoy works perfectly for the person I sold it to.

It had to be the avr then. I can't suss it. It's like as I'm talking now an add for the news has just come on and it sounded terrible. It's just an add I shouldn't be having these issues.
    Found a new issues which I've sorted. The reciever wouldn't put out DTS HD MA and would only do PCM when streaming to the wd server. Yet the same file through the bd player would come up as DTS HD MA when streaming, yet bluray disks with DTS HD MA would only play as PCM.

5. Mumu

Mumu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you tried a new lead from the amp pre-out to the sub?

A poor connection or damaged conductors in the lead could give the problems you describe, beyond that it is possible to get ground loop problems if you are plugging the amp and sub into sockets in different parts of the room (or more normally on different ring circuits). This normally manifests as humming at 50Hz before it blows the pre-out on the amp though.

One more thing, you should *always* connect the amp and sub when they are both turned off at the wall to prevent damage.

6. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I've tried several leads now, One from the original then bought several. From your bog standard ones all the way up to paying £60 from richer. Still the same issue. Both the Receiver and sub are on the same surge protector so in the same socket. Tried separately but I'm not getting humming nor is it continually distorting. Its on specific levels where it comes through. Plus lack of bass what so ever where it should be.

I've never connected any wiring when either the receiver or subs been powered on. The original receiver over heated one afternoon when I was hammering some bassy music. It cut out and then therefore after wasn't right. I spoke to Yamaha at the time and they said the 371 probably was the issue and I honestly though now I've illuminated all original hardware it would sort itself out but nope.

The fact that the YPAO setup should have bass levels and sound coming through during that process yet has nothing besides the 1st distorted muffled hit is really annoying me. It was the same on the 371 after the overheating with the tannoy that's why I replaced the sub. Before that the 371 had several intermissions when setting it up then went to a 1st fizz then nothing, Then it was the same with the sw150 and I assumed it was the receiver. Now that's gone the problem remains. I'm just wondering if the subs become damaged somehow after I put it on the 371. Like I said though from day one it sounded as bad as the tannoy and had gone and the YPAO setup had no bass. For that it would have had to of arrived broken.

No ones that unlucky though that each piece of equipment is broke never mind the exact same issue with all. At one point I assumed it could be the BDP so replaced that and did the same with the sky box. Everything has been replaced now. I've gone through several optical cables too. Making sure there's a tight connection etc etc.

Tonight also when BBC HD cuts to regional news and you get the message on screen telling you to turn to the main bbc channel, the sub sounded like a tin of metal being shuck and that was just on that signal! I know sky can't be held up there for signals but this wasn't on loud it was at about -45db yet that calm non bassy audio caused issue with horrible distortion.

It seems to be deeper bass and lower tones that play havoc.

7. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Your amps not overheating? Issues with power supply?

8. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Has the sub always been in the same place..
    Are you always in the same place ?

Maybe some really weird room acoustics ?

9. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's not the acoustics as I said you don't get bass on the YPAO setup where as originally the tannoy did. When I've run the setup with a mates sub on sunday there was bass as I've said the sub won't put out nothing other than an initial fizz at the begining of the setup then nothing when the subs indicated. The sub works fine on certain scenes then sounds totally distorted on lower bass levels. Some media is unbearable for example there's several faithless songs I've had to switch to using headphones to listen to whereas before they were clear what I loved listening to.

If anyone's got a deep voice it's a case of totally forgetting it.

Also to lokyc i bought this one on Saturday was the same issue again as the previous 371 yet this is only just the 475 out of the box feels cool as does the back of the sub.

Can't see that being the issue as this sub is on a different reciever and it's now the same fault, all new equipment what would be the chances :(

I've contacted superfi so shall wait for the sub to be tested and replaced which I think it's going to need. I think maybe the 371 stuffed it, I reckon the 371 blew and that's blown somehow the sw150. why the tannoy worked perfect off the 371 is baffling and now the sw150 on the new 475 is the same issue as it was on the 371. It's got to be the sub this time. Maybe just a series of events that I've had bad luck with.

Just glad it's in warranty. If this does get replaced and the next is the same god knows what I'll do.

10. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To rephrase "why the tannoy worked perfect off the 371 is baffling" by that I mean why the tannoy worked fine when it wasn't on the 371.

11. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Maybe the 371 was problematic. It wasn't feeding the sub channel properly. Tannoy was not irreversibly damaged. But the SW150 might be. The 371 blew because the SW150 shorted perhaps?

Anyway, stop using the sw150 until you can get it tested. And did you say you tried a mate's sub on the 475?

12. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yer he brought round his onkyo sub from his setup and it seemed to work through the setup although didn't have a change to test it fully due to the time, was quite late by the time is faffed around with all the wiring.

So should I avoid using it completely the sw150 I wasn't sure if it was damaged whether it could damage the 475 as it's not feeding anything to the amp

13. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Well, its not working anyway. So best to avoid using it. YOu never know if there could be current surge or something, unlikely though it may be.

14. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Could in theory short out the sub output..or
    Be seen as some weirdly heavy load..unlikely

Tbh it sounds like the whole situation is unlikely..but it's happened so i wouldnt take any chances

Do you listen to really bassy music at particularly high volumes for long periods by any chance
    :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  15. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not really tbh, that particular day I did have bassy music playing but these days it's the odd weekends I'd have maybe an hour or so with bassy music but it's mainly films these days I prefer. But the damage was done I lol

16. keiran85

keiran85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just an update, sub was returned today and has had the driver replaced and all problems resolved. Touch wood, bass back and also no more low hum as there was before which I didn't even have issue with tbh. Very happy.