need some help deciding on a receiver please??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kulataz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. kulataz

kulataz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I have been deliberating for a long time now on what Receiver to buy. I currently own two Sony STRDB 930's in my house which are great amps and I will be keeping one of them. My problem is they dont switch hdmi etc and my TV only has one HDMI input into it. I also have a hdmi hub as well that feeds three tv's so I need something to manage this(I know the max is two on mid range amps)

The system so far is

Samsung 720P Plasma(will get changed to either PJ or LED in next year)
    Sony STRDB930
    Panasonic Blue Ray player
    Bose Acoustimass AM15(mainly cos I have dogs and the speakers are off the floor and I got a good deal from a friend on them)
    SKY HD box

Is it worth me buying a decent amp as the AM15 does not allow for amping etc as it takes over. Basically I need to be able to use HDMI for cabling etc. It also needs to have pass through as well cos my mrs does not like the bass coming from the Bose all of the time. my other option is to use my B&W centre and rears that I have from my old system and buy new fronts and a sub so that I can control the bass easier from the amp??

All help greatfully received

Graham

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    what is your budget?
    Replacing the Bose with B&W should give you good gains in sound quality but will not be the cheapest option.
    I thought the AM15 allowed the speaker inputs from the amp into the bass unit and then the speakers are fed from here. So should still be able to control the sound from the amp although I could be wrong about that,

3. kulataz

kulataz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

I already have a pair of B&W DM601's and a matching centre speaker from an old system. I sold my TDL RTL3's sadly. i also have a set of JBL Control 1's here so I could use them as rears and the three B&W's for the front. That would maybe save me some money.

Yes all of the outputs from the amp go to the AM15 sub but the only way to reduce the bass is on the unit itself which is a pain every time I want to change it.

My budget is under £500. I dont know whether to spend a lot less due to the Bose or spend more and move the BOSE to my office.

I also like the idea of streaming music from a NAS and having the amp control two zones

Thanks

graham

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Apart from the higher end Denons the second zone on most AVRs will only play analogue sources or those from the network abilities. So anything connected via optical, coaxial or HDMI can not be played on zone 2. This may not be an issue for you but worth bearing in mind.
    Using the B&W up front would certainly help and you probably could get away with the JBLs as rears to save some money. You would need a sub and BK Electronics would be a good place to look as a start.
    There is plenty of options in terms of receivers for your budget so go have a listen to a few options to see which you like the sound of.
    The Sony 1040 could be worth a look and has built in WiFi making connecting to a network a little easier.

5. kulataz

kulataz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I have been playing a bit today. I brought my 601's up and wired them in as the zone b fronts and have compared them to the Bose. At first I wondered where the B&W's were getting their bass from when I realised the sub from the Bose was still working. I disconnected it but it deffo needs either bigger fronts or a sub to go with the 601's. Listening side by side the Bose dont cut it any more. They were used as a compromise when we had four dogs and no space in the living room but I think the time has come to have good tunes again. Had them running all night and the kids loved dancing to the music.

I am thinking of the Yamaha 675 to replace my old Sony which I have noticed is a 925 not a 930. I have also found out my neighbour is now a Yamaha dealer so any returns would be easy and the price he charges is the same as everywhere else. I need to nail him down for a demo as he has one in stock.

At the moment I will be using the B&W but I used to own a pair of TDL RTL3's and they still seem to be a great speaker so will keep my eye open for a nice set. Sadly I sold mine for less than they are worth now.

I got a wee bit of money the other day so i would love to get a BENQ1070 and a screen as well to finish off the refresh. I will also be installing a NAS drive to store my music, today taught me that using a phone is OK but every time I got an email it stopped which peed me off

Graham