Need some grille cloth for my subs

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of M&K MX5000s and am restoring them to their full glory :) They recently came back from a professional furniture restorer who did an epic job of restoring the oak burr veneer - they look amazing now, almost hard to believe they are real. Next - and final job - is to fit new grille cloth to the frames. One frame is entirely missing its cloth and the other has what I assume is the original cloth, but it's stained and a bit faded.

I'm thinking of contacting L-Sound(?) or maybe KK Sound directly for some new cloth so I can say its at least 'original' although since M&K doesn't exist it's not really 'original' is it?

My other two thoughts are to go for coloured grille cloth, something to match the oak veneer, as frankly black cloth looks rather dowdy. I really like the light buff colour used on classic Technics speakers so might go for something along those lines, or maybe some shade of brown or even a wine red. The other thought was to go for a printed pattern! What I might have printed though, I have no idea...

OTOH again, I will have to sell these one day and I guess whoever buys them would prefer an original finish........

So anyway, would it be easy to buy from KK again, or are there other suppliers of good quality grill cloth, and what sort should I be lookin for? I recently re-clothed a REL sub with REL cloth, but that struck me as rather coarse looking, so I want to buy some material befitting the quality of the subs' finish.

I did my M&K in black cloth I bought from Maplins. Looks better than the original to me as it looks thicker and higher quality:smashin:

It probably doesn't exist but I think it would be cool to have the option of
'speaker look' on the material.

as I love the naked driver look of all my speakers but I'm afraid of the dog damaging the cone :laugh:!

Might be worth going to a fabric shop and looking at some of the glossy "sheer" fabrics to see if any are suitably see through. I've got some on our glass hifi cabinet door to darken it a bit but you can still see through it easily enough. Although the more see through it is the less dog proof it probably is :)

I used cara acoustic transparent on mine. It's good stuff but it is quite thick.

Do you have a link, m4ccam? A quick google turned up nothing.

neillers - I could maybe find a printshop that would print something onto some stretchy fabric... I could go with an urban camo background with a big bass driver design in the centre... :p

Seriously though, I think I will give KK/Sound a call I think. And maybe look into a second set of frames for a custom finish or two...

The company is called Making waves audio. They do all kinds of stuff and the customer service is fantastic, I ran out of fabric and called them in the afternoon on the day before Christmas Eve and it arrived the next day. They sent me a swatch of all the different colours.

Sorry I can't do a link I'm on the iPad.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom