1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some general advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thingsandstuff, Sep 27, 2005.

1. thingsandstuff

thingsandstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony DAV S550 is on it's way to packing up, so I've decided to sort myself out a new home cinema package. I am gonna spend about £600 and want to get a system with 6.1 capability. For that reaon I was looking at the Denon 550, as I can get it online multi region for £550, but I have now found out that you can't get the extra rear speaker as denon saw fit to discontinue it(?)!!!
    So, are there any other 6.1 capable systems in that price range (that do have the extra rear speaker available!!) or can anyone recommend a decent setup of budget seperates?
    Thanks

2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I have just gone back to seperates (albeit on a budget) after going the "all in one" route with a Denon DHT500SD.

The Denon was ok to an extent but I was never particularly happy with the sound quality after previously having a good seperates system and there were one or two little niggles with it that I didn't appreciate.

As I say, I was really on a budget and spent ages making a decision, but plumped for the following........

TEAC DV7D DVD Player
    TEAC AG7D 6.1 Receiver
    ELAC Cinema 2 speaker system

I got the DVD and matching receiver for just over £200.00, (although I think a mistake had been made on the price of the DVD player from the website I used and I only ended up paying £53.00 for it!!) and the speaker system was £299.00. All prices were delivered by the way. That's just under £500.00 all in for a system that blows the Denon (best in class????) into the water.
    Both of the companies I used were first class, the items were delivered within two days.
    I am now one happy chappy. The sound quality is superb from the speakers, they have really surpassed my expections on what to expect from a sat/sub system. Plenty of bass, and the centre speaker is spot on.
    The DVD player too is exceptional when connected up via component for progressive scan.
    I was worried about the DVD player in particular because as I say it was showing at a price of £53.00 and I thought it would be crap! But checking on other websites confirmed that it should have been £140.00 or thereabouts so I felt a little more reassured of it's quality.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The websites I used were........

For the speakers www.superfi.co.uk

For the receiver and DVD player www.homecinematv.co.uk

Hope that helps a bit for you. I am no expert and recognise that my system may not be the all singing all dancing set ups that other have, but my ears and eyes tell me what I want to know and for this price, I honestly don't think you will buy a better sounding set up, unless you were to buy second hand.
    Rob

PS The receiver is 6.1 capable and I am absolutely certain that you can buy an extra speaker for the Elac system. I am sure I have seen them sold seperately somewhere.