1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some friendly advice on my speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Huggy, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Over Xmas, we had a lot of friends/relatives round. All very impressed with my new set up. However, Mrs H (and I will admit - me too), was a bit put out by adverse comments on the size of the Mission M72 speaker set - particularly the fronts. We now have the fronts back on stands at ear level, and whilst they sound great - they look a bit too industrial for the room.

The other day, I accidentally diverted Mrs H into Sevenoaks Sound at Tunbridge Wells (as you do), to look over subs (I have none). I mentioned the problem to the friendly assistant, and he directed us to the KEF eggs, and I could see Mrs H warming to the idea, as she molested the black version with the velvety feel! Then he told us that they were £100 a pop and £800 for the set (including sub)... ouch.

What do you lot think? The eggs have a much better WAF, but are a lot more money than the Missions. Are they worth it? Is the sub any good.

Any thoughts?

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Although good I fear you will be disapointed after your Missions.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are a few comments around the forum that the sub is the weak link in the egg setup and your proposal would not be an upgrade in my opinion but at most a sideways step.

Perhaps you could look at replacing your front three with a less industrial looking trio, but most of these will work out more expensive than eggs.

4. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ian, Petrolhead, understood. But let me pursue this a bit more.

OK, so received wisdom says the Kef sub is weak. However, I understand that you can happily mix and match subs with different speakers, so maybe I could use my current favoured MJ Acoustics 50 Pro as the sub.

My rears are Mission M7DS's, which are good and cause no offense.

As to alternative fronts, frankly, my choice is very limited. To Mrs H, all speaker boxes look crap, but at least the Eggs could be passed off as... well, "objects d'art".

Now when I mentioned a similar compromise to the sales assistant, he rolled his eyes and said that it probably wouldn't work as the Eggs and the Missions have very different tonal quality and I would probably end up with a bit of a mess.

So my options really boil down to:

1. Change all the speakers to Eggs, and use the MJ Acoustics 50 Pro as the sub. Hopefully beefing up the sound quality.

2. Use the MJ as the sub, keep the M7DS's but change the front's (and possibly the centre to Eggs).

3. Save the money, and live with what I've got (adding the MJ when I'm ready).

Probably nobody has this kind of set up - but what are your instincts?

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the egg centre to be below average sound (a bit compressed)
    Found the centre couldn't reproduce speech accurately.

Fronts and Rears ok (good enough for av), but replace with a better centre and it'll be much better system overall. Also sub is another weak link.

if you replace the centre egg with a Kef Model 100 (alot more expensive but defently worth it)- it'll have a much better sound. Or perhaps a Kef Q95C. Ok it won't match, but you could always demo both.

I’d keep what you've got already. Use Missions for fronts, buy dipole or bipole rears (miles better than monopoles)

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be inclined to tell your visitors to mind their own business and enjoy the set up you have!

It's a bit cheeky to come round and take advantage of all your facilities and then make comments about how it looks...

Maybe a a bit of green cheese from them?

My front room looks a bit like a TV or film playback room at times, although everything is propery mounted and tidy with no cables showing etc etc.

My partner loves using it and even her mother was impressed by the pictures and sound at Christmas - and commented "What a nice room..."

So the Missions should stay.

7. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looks wise,I think you would find it hard to find a better looking speaker than the Kef Q1's at the moment,the only speakers I have ever had that made the front room look better, and cheap as well at only £600 for the complete set.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Now that you have moved the goalposts slightly there is no doubt in my mind that the way forward is to keep what you have and add a subwoofer. The MJ Pro is quite good if you have to have a small sub.

Next time your friends and family come round they will be even greener with envy.

It is accepted wisdom to keep fronts and rears from the same family but my Mission M7DS rears live quite happily with M&K fronts despite being tonally miles apart.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian you said keeping things the same. But sometimes you can't do that.

Say you have L/R speakers and are awesome say the ABC range
    The matching centre speaker from the ABC range is awful
    and the matching ABC range rears are monopoles
    Yet the XYZ range centre is fab
    and the XYZ range rears are dipoles and fab.

Do you go for naff centre/naff rears (but matching system) or fab centre/fab rears (non-matching)

I went for the non-matching but better option.

BTW, fronts are Kef Q75, centre Kef Model 200, rears NHT HDP-2's.

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have to agree with Ian about mixing and matching Mission rears with other brand fronts. The dipole Missions are very neutral and will work well with most front setups.

However I am going to go against my "best sound instincts" and recommend you get the Eggs if you are really serious about keeping the peace at home :rolleyes:

Why? Well I assume you have the full Mission setup meaning you have the Mission M7C1 centre speaker? You only need to look at it and the compare with the M72 fronts to see that they are a VERY different design and so tonally don't match too well:( . Some guys say here have said the Egg centre is a bit weak - I say the Mission centre is even weaker!

So controversally I recommend - sell all 3 Mission fronts & keep the rears, get 3 Eggs for the front and (essential) get the Pro 50 sub :)
    Pros: Better front soundstage, matched tone, happy missus (priceless), excellant bass from new sub
    Cons: (Very) slighty IMO poorer sound from Egg fronts with music

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I must have been lucky as I haven't experienced that scenario. I currently don't have a dedicated centre speaker but use three identical M&K speakers which I know is not an option for many people.

I am willing to bet that Huggy is as confused as ever now :D but as Nobber said it depends how the priorities lie between wife acceptance and pure musical ability.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Stick with what u got and add a sub :)

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Do you have the black M72's? Swop with someone who has the prettier beech models :clown:

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a small point but a big operational difference the mission m7ds as other mission ds speakers are Bipole.

15. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Should have called them bs then. Er...maybe not actually. :rolleyes:

16. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try Dolby Surround:)

17. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So...

I like Nobber22's answer best as it's the one I wanted to hear. Between what Ian, Nathan.Silly and he has to say, it seems that mixing and matching the rears and the fronts may still be feasible. I think I'll arrange a sound test at Sevenoaks with the Kefs at the front/Centre, the MD7S's at rear and the MJ sub.

And jim.rae... Mrs H may be difficult to please, but her Ma is truly frightening, I think I'll hold off telling her where to go :D

Happy New Year all!!!

Huggy

18. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No wonder there are so many mother in law jokes!

I guess I must have hit it lucky with my girl's mum...mind you I softened her up by playing her favourite tune out of Fantasia 2000 when she sat down.

Enjoy whatever gear you end up with.

19. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Mate of mine got around this problem recently - married an orphan! :D