• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need some damn good advice for next Video Editor

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Well I've just bought myself a nice new PC, with stacks of power and RAM and a lovely Viewsonic VP2130b LCD screen. I was looking forward to using my Ulead MediaStudio 8 Pro, but have now found that Windows Vista doesn't support it. Looking at what I've read, it may not come out with a patch.
So my question is, what else could I go for that'll work with Vista. MediaStudio does everything I need so any advice would be most welcome. I've been looking at Sony Vegas 7. Any thoughts.

Huge thanks in advance,

Mark.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Well I use Vegas 7, and I love it. But it isn't officially Vista supported; when Vegas 8 comes out (no date announced) it will. Though people are using it with Vista and it generally works....

marty2005

I read some where there is a free update to Vegas 7 out soon to work with Vista.

Another reason why I haven't bothered with Vista is that a lot of software I use won't work including Vegas.

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Thamks Mark.

The MultiTrim allows you to cut the video into sections you want to use. It basically makes your original video into segments which you then drag and drop onto the timeline.

Mark:)

senu

Distinguished Member
Vegas certainly does that..and more ;As with most of these software's there is more than one way of doing that

Most of the current crop of NLE software do ( I have used them all but 1 or 2:rolleyes:)

The main differences are the GUI

jwramsay

Installing Vegas on my new Vista Premium OS based PC scoops the Media Center, so I'm only using it on my old WMCE 2005 PC for now.

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Well I downloaded the Vegas 7 trial and it looks to work ok. It'll take a little getting used to considering I've always used Ulead. Now for another question. Does it support de-interlacing. I mainly save my videos in wmv format for hosting on my website ( www.rcflights.co.uk ), so de-interlace is a must.

So I take it you guy's are pleased with Vegas. What about transitions and video effects. Do you think there's enough to choose from and are they up to the job.

Sorry if any of my questions seem a little daft.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Yes Vegas supports deinterlacing.

It has loads of transitions; you can also create your own "transition" using track motion or event pan/crop. It is very powerful.

senu

Distinguished Member
It has loads of transitions; you can also create your own "transition" using track motion or event pan/crop. It is very powerful.....

:D, ...so sayeth St Mark:rotfl:

(FWIW: I agree with him;))

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Is there a way of de-interlacing only part of a video, or do you have to de-interlace the whole rendered video. In Ulead MSP8, you could right click on a clip and select whether to deinterlace it or not.

Another thing, can you import Quicktime movies. I seem to be having trouble, but thought it could be the trial version that could be causing the trouble.

Thanks again,

senu

Distinguished Member
Is there a way of de-interlacing only part of a video, or do you have to de-interlace the whole rendered video. In Ulead MSP8, you could right click on a clip and select whether to deinterlace it or not.

I've never tried or needed to try selective deinterlacing but I suspect if it is possible it wouldn't be in the way you describe it with MSP8

Another thing, can you import Quicktime movies.
You can , In fact you can mix video from various sources and formats on the time line.
This is equally possible with Avid Liquid 7
My experience from using Avid Liquid 7 as well as Vegas suggests that there is probably very little you could do with MSP8 you couldn't do with Vegas or Avid Liquid. (maybe even more with them)
The specific ways to do things would however be different
For instance I find the ability to do 2 and 3D keyframing with clip editing in Liquid almost second nature whereas in Vegas I struggle .. .a bit.(getting there slowly :smoke: )
On the other hand, with Vegas I find that assembling, trimming clips , applying fades and transitions etc is very easy and fluid
It just takes some getting used to: You can actually rearrange its layout to what you may have been used to

See THIS Screeengrab , you just might notice one solitary MOV ( quicktime) file amongst the avis':rotfl:

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member

When you render, you render to a specific format, which can be interlaced or progressive. I don't think any editing software will create an output file which is a mix of interlaced and progressive (nor would you want to do this).

However - the clips which make up the project can be a mix of all sorts of things, which can include interlaced and progressive clips. So for example, if the chosen output format is progressive and the project is made up of both interlaced and progressive clips, then only the interlaced ones will be deinterlaced (as the others are already progressive).

In Vegas you can look at and change the properties on a per clip basis. So if you right click on an interlaced clip, you will see the field order (either upper field first, lower field first, or none (progressive scan). You can change this on a per clip basis; so if you have a clip showing as lower field first (interlaced) you can change it to be none (progressive scan). Then when you render to a progressive format, that clip won't be deinterlaced, as you've told Vegas it is already progressive. Though if it really isn't you might not get the result you want.

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Thanks for the prompt reply guy's.

As mentioned before, most of my vids are for PC ( progressive scan ) playback. Lets say I want some really slow motion in part of my vid. I find that you get better ( smoother ) slowmo's if you save the file as a field based and don't de-interlace. What I would do is save the slowMo part as an AVI file, lower field first. I'd then import this into the main video. I can then select the other clips in the vid to deinterlace and keep the slowmo clip as field based. It seems to work well.

My general save settings are....

wmv 9 file format, 1500 kbps CBR, 480x360 resolution.

So in Ulead you can have an output with both interlaced and deinterlaced footage.

BUT...

I can't mix if its from the same original file, thats why I have to save as another AVI first.

Hope I haven't made it sound too confusing.

One more thing.....

Do you guy's think its wise to go for Vegas 7 now with Vista or wait for Vegas 8. Has anyone got issues with Vista and V7.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Mark,

I could be wrong, but I’m not convinced that the final wmv file you are creating is a mixture of both interlaced and deinterlaced. Or maybe it is just terminology.

Taking your example – in Vegas I can render out a slow motion segment as a interlaced .avi. So the slow motion will be applied using field based format. I can import this into the main video (as I said earlier, there is no problem having a mix of interlaced and progressive clips in the project).

But when you render the entire project to a .wmv progressive file, that’s what you will get.

So whilst you can create a project from a mix of interlaced and progressive footage, when you render out a new file, that new file needs to be one or the other. (At least that’s my understanding).

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Hi Mark,

WMV9 supports de-interlacing and interlaced output. What you get with Ulead is two options. You can either select each clip seperatly and select either to deinterlace or not, or you can decide to Auto de-interlace before you press the final save button. Filming RC planes, there's a lot of fast moving objects moving around so anything that isn't deinterlaced sure does look bad ( ghosting ).

I've just tried it out on Vegas. My original video is PAL DV 720x576 lower field first. I saved this as an AVI lossless, but as progressive scan. Playing this back on the PC is fine, there's no interlace artifacts at all. I then import this into Vegas and save again but as lower field based. I now get the ghosting artifacts. How can this be when there's only one field in the original.

So it looks as if Vegas won't do both interlace and de-interlace on the same vid. Ulead certainly does. Shame:(

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Here's a video of a wmv vid which includes interlaced and deinterlaced footage.

VIDEO

There's a slowmo on the 2.52 mark which is interlaced. If you pause it on the 2.55 mark you'll see the ghosting of the two fields. Pause the video anywhere else apart from in the slomo and you'll get no ghosting as its been de-interlaced.

Mark :)

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Hi Mark,

Yeah you've got to play with the pause to get the plane moving over the frame fast, but it sure is there. Here's a still from the vid.

Anyway thanks for the help Mark, I'll play around with Vegas some more before I make up my mind.

Attachments

• Image0.jpg
    Image0.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 40

senu

Distinguished Member
It would seem MSP8 is unique in the ability to have a mixture like that. I just tried to do it in Avid Liquid 7 , with great difficulty

It seems to be a fairly unusual need

While was able to reproduce the very slight "ghosting" ( just once) from your grab, I must say it was because I was looking for it and the video looked smooth as a whole
I have a dual screen setup in which screen 2 is Hi-Def, so the video was playing on it on full screen

MarkJayne

Standard Member
An unusual need maybe, but it sure is nice to have the control. As mentioned you can only do this if you have two seperate sources. You can't de-inter and inter from the same video file. When I did the slowmo on the above vid the first time, I had it de-interlaced, but it didn't look as smooth as it does as an interlaced file.

Just to be clear. I'm not knocking Vegas, its just that I've got to know its up to my needs. So far Vegas is looking pretty good, and I'm only scratching the surface.

tugboatbill

Standard Member
Can any of these editors change a negative/colourised video back to it's positive form?

Probably a stupid question but I am thinking of getting a video editor to try and restore some film of my daughter's rock band which was taken when she was at Dartington a few years ago.

The film was transferred to a videotape, which is not too much of a problem (I hope), but being at Dartington they got an AV student to mess around with the original film - resulting in each song clip being in a different set of negative colours, can I somehow get it back to it's original form?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom