Need some advices for Loewe Aconda ....

Y

yod

Hi all

First post here :). I am looking to replace my old tv. Went down to John Lewis yesterday and saw the Loewe Aconda 9381 ZW. It is a great looking tv and the picture was fantastic, instantly felt in love with it. I like the retro look of Mimo too, but when compared with Aconda, the Aconda just stood out a little bit. Don’t get me wrong, Mimo has great picture too and i think they have identical features. I guess thats where the extra money goes with the aconda, perhaps aconda has a different tube. Then i went down to Harrods which was recommended by the assistant and had a look to see what collection they have. They had a Loewe/Linn show room there with some decent collection. The assistant was very helpful there and gave me a brochure to take home. Had a thorough look at it and came up with a few questions which I hope someone could give me some help.

1. Has anyone used the T1 stand which comes with a build-in subwoofer? Any comment on the subwoofer?
2. Has anyone installed the IR-link upgrade? Can this upgrade work alone or do i need to install the VGA upgrade as well? How does it go with other manufacturers components, any problem with it?
3. Has anyone uses the RC 1? This controller looks cool and simple and i am tempted to get it to replace all my other remotes if i install the IR-link.

Any advices are welcomed and thanks in advance :)

I can recommend the Vitros which looks great in the basalt. One very useful thing to know when buying Loewe is John lewis will price match www.tvandvideodirect.com and chuck in a 5 year warranty

Whatever you do, don't buy any TV in gloss finish (gloss black, gloss silver etc)

It looks nice initially.. but once you live with it- it will reflect light onto the frame and be very distracing!

Thanks for the info :).

Mick: The chap from John Lewis told me that the 5 years warranty comes in standard for all Loewe TVs, regardless of old or new model, and the delivery charge is included on the listed price. Price match wise, I have read some threads about it, it seems that it has to go through a lot of personnals in different departments in JL, its the least i would think of at a moment. Right now, I just want to clear my confusion with the IR-link upgrade and the T1 stand. Btw, I searched through the tv and video direct website and i couldnt find any info regarding upgrades, am i missing something? Anyhow i think i need to visit John Lewis again to see whether they will do the upgrade installation if i opt to do it.

Nathan: Thats a very good point, unfortunately Aconda dont do non-glossy/matt finish. From what i have read in the brochure, 9381 only do High Gloss Black and Stratos Metallic Light. I guess I could lower the light if the reflection from the frame gets to me in the future.

Anyone could shed some light on the T1 stand and the IR-link upgrade?

The light output from the tube itself causes problems with the gloss finish, not ambient light.

Originally posted by nathan_silly
The light output from the tube itself causes problems with the gloss finish......

No such problems on my High Gloss Stratos Metallic Aconda and I've lived with it for a long time now. The Gloss Black would be a little more reflective but to advise people against purchasing for this reason (as you seem to at every opportunity) is just plain rediculous.

No it's not!

I'm not advising not to buy a Loewe, I'm just recommending to get a boring matt finish if one's available.

Just because you've got a Loewe yourself stop taking it personally.

Originally posted by nathan_silly on 04-02-2003 11:40 AM
I read of someone had owned the gloss black Loewe TV- the reflections on the frame (cos it's so shiny) annoyed him- so he got the dull finish.

Nice looking TV= a Gimmick.

Originally posted by nathan_silly on 04-05-2003 05:38 PM
Aye the Loewe high gloss black is awful- it acts like a mirror.

Informed opinion Nathan or just what you've "read" :rolleyes:.

I'm not taking anything personally by the way - I wouldn't hesitate to out my Aconda for something else if it offered any improvement.

When you go to a cinema is the front of the cinema high gloss black? No. Everything is blacked out, sides, walls, floors, ceiling and seats. The only bright objects are the screen and the Exit signs.

I stand by the design aspect. If you pay for a nice designed case, the designer takes a cut from the retail price of the TV. A standard boring shaped TV has no expensive designer.

I don't think Groundy is taking anything personally. Can we please refrain from taking the thread off the rails. Thanks.

Was on display at JL Bluewater last week, nice picture, styling is an aquired taste.

John Lewis on Oxford St only has the Mimo Rack 2 (the box one, asking for £400+)... It looks good and comes with 3 shelves inside the box. To be frankly, i think you really need to install the IR upgrade to be worthwhile cuz the cover will block all signals from your remote control, unless u have the shelf cover down all the time which will destroy the whole image of it.

I have also seen the Mimo Rack 1 too in Harrods. It looks good as well, very simple. In fact its just a simple rod (approx 3 inches in diameter) which support the whole tv. All the cables can be hidden inside the rod and u can also spin the tv too.

One of the sales guys told me that there is a new Loewe stand coming out which will fit a lot of the loewe models. I think its called Rack C30, anyone got a picture of it?

Thanks, yeah i went down oxford street yesterday to have a look.
It does look nice, it really needs a modern minimalist room to look good though i think. This tv would not go with terracotta.
It looks like a flat screen from the front, but its very deep by the looks of it.
Picture looks identical to the over loewes it was along side.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom