Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adwhitworth, Jun 30, 2003.

1. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, sorry if any of this has been answered before but I know absolutely nothing on which projectors and screeens are best.:blush:

We will have a budget of a very maximum of £1500 + Some money for a screen.

We want to be able to use the projector say not in total darkness but not in full light either, just fairly dim and it must be 16:9. We will be using Sky+, Toshiba SD220E Multiregion and the Denon AVC11SR Amp. We will feed the PJ with a component cable from the Amp as everything goes to that anyway.

Quite a lot of people talk about things like Iscan. Is this necessary for all projectors and what basically do they do.

Regarding screen size. We are have a bay window and a pelmet so we would like to have the screen up there. We just want a manual pull down. Not too bothered about electric. It must be about a maximum of say 84". The Projector can't be mounted on the ceiling as it is already decorated and cables can't be fed but we are thinking of having it on a small side table which is on a tilt and project slightly upwards. I have read the other thread but haven't got a clue what keystone correction is so I just got confused
    :( :rolleyes: :confused:

So what is the best PJ to get and what is the best screen to get and where from?

Sorry to bore you all but I just don't know where to begin really.:boring:

2. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone as we want to get one soon but don't know where to begin?:( :hiya:

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You could do worse then the Panasonic AE300. Nice a bright with good contrast. I've got a Panny AE100 which is fantastic (and quite cheap at the mo) but the AE300 is the next step up and comes in your price range.

Keystone: Hold up a piece of A4 paper in front of you so that all four corners are at the same distant from your eyes. That's a perfect rectangle.

Now tilt the paper so that one edge if futher away from you. Now your getting an image that looks something like a wedge of cheese.

Your projector image will do the same if the lens is not perfectly parrallel with the plane of the screen.
    Modern projectors can correct this to an extend but there is always a trade off in quality. The more keystone you use, the more the quality deteriorates.

Hope this helps.

4. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's Brill:smashin: I think we'll go and have a demo of the AE300 then.

Do I need one of these Iscan thinggies or is it just to do something else?

5. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Ad,

You could always consider running a projector directly from a PC instead of using an Iscan. Decent processor, rad 9000 gfx and a soundcard with SPDIF out. Connect either via VGA, or even better DVI to the projector for the best possible image. Check out the HCPC forum on here for some good tips and advice.

Joust

6. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen that Lektropaks do a Component (3 Phono) to VGA Lead in a long length. Would this be pretty good?:)

7. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ad, have a look at the Sanyo Z1 as well - try a few places to have a look at a few LCD pjs - I ummed and ahhed about it, but am "over the moon" with my Z1.

Just no looking to see what the SETI screensaver is like at 7' wide ;)

8. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    adwhitworth, I ordered the VGA-component cable from lektropacks - just to let you know that you don't get the silverscreen connectors as shown in their catalog, just basic gold plated plastic ones - don't feel let down like it arrived like me :)

I'm in the same position about the iScan. I've ordered a pj and don't know if one will be necessary for tv, ps2 etc. I think I'll wait untill the pj arrives and see how it looks and decide then.

9. adwhitworth

adwhitworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the advice guys. Will also take a look at the Sanyo:clap: