Need some advice :)

R

Roost

Hi, the missus has said she'll get me a AV Receiver for Xmas :)

The budget is basically £200-£250 it needs to have DTS, 5.1 and Pro Logic 2.

I love my bass, have it on full on most devices so it needs to pack a good punch :)

I've looked at the marantz sr4200 but i'm not too sure as it seems rather old.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot lads an lasses

You can try the Yamaha RX-V430RDS from Richer Sounds, its meant to be very good.

Any difference between the Yamaha RX-V430RDS and the Yamaha HTR-5540RDS other than colour?

I'm getting conflicting info. Some sites say its got 100w per channel, then on others it says 65 and i've seen one saying 70 as well!

Any other amps i should look at?

hi roost
ive got a yamaha htr 5540 it is 65watts per channel the only differance between rxv 430 is the colour the 5540 is titanium .The output should be loud enough for most rooms my room is 16x14ft and its plenty loud.
gonzo

Hows about this one? DENON AVR1802

Seen it on richer sounds website for £249.99

Denon AVR 1802 is definitely worth looking at,and it's successor the AVR1803 has more facilities and a similar price....I had the 1802 before upgrading to a TagMclaren AV32R,and whilst there is no comparison really,for it's price,the 1802 is excellent.

I bought an SR4200 from Richer last month. It is old, but that is reflected in the price. Though it has all the right facilities (DPL-II).
I am very pleased with it, it goes loud and has been highly reviewed in the past. I use it with Mission FS2-AV's and can't fault it - apart from it's bulk.:)

I'll second the Marantz SR4200. Got it for £200 and can see a big improvement over my two year old Kenwood. Musically it's excellent, delivering a rich, warm sound full of detail. It does all the 5.1 stuff including DTS, DD and PLII but is not future proofed for 6.1 or 7.1.

What hifi gave it 5 stars and said it was the first budget AV reciever to sound truly musical.

It's also well built with plenty of digital inputs as well as a couple of digital outs for MD etc. The speaker connectors are proper screw in ones which can also take banana plugs. My Kenwood had the crappy spring connectors.

The remote's good too as it emulates the main buttons of up to 8 other controllers. Mine works for my tv, dvd, md, cd and vcr although I still need the originals for stuff like teletext and other advanced controls.

It is bulky but I no more than most AVR's that I've seen.

Cheers,
Cal.

Do you think it worth forking out the extra to get th 4300 over the 4200?

Originally posted by planbeta
Do you think it worth forking out the extra to get th 4300 over the 4200?

i got the 4300 a couple of days ago and the sound is very good.it replaced a sony amp i had, which didn`t fair well with music matched with my mission speakers, the sound was overly bright. the marantz has a much warmer sound, and the 4300 has ddex and dtses so you have plenty of options.

I think you really need to decide whether you want the extra features (DTS-ES) with the centre rear channel. Personally speaking if I tried to add yet another speaker to the 8 I already have it would be a long time before the wife would stop making me sleep in the garage !. If you want the extra channel - or think you might in the future then buy the 4300. Its that simple.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom