1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Bhavik, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Bhavik

Bhavik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just managed to get hold of a PA20R thanks to Mr Barley. Now on the back it has XLR outputs to the power amps and phono outputs as well. My 125M's only have a phono input. Now what I need to know is will it sound better connecting to the power amps using phono to phono leads or XLR to phono leads. The reason I ask this is that when ever I have use proffesional gear such as Pioneer and Allen & Heath mixers using XLR to phono has always sounded much better than phono to phono.

Any handy information would be very helpful :)

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XLR was originally designed for very long (100m + ) connections in the studio. It appeared on US domestic hifi equipment in the 80's then appeared in the UK. It has little benifits in the average home set-up (unless you have very long connections between pre/power or active speakers).

Unfortunately, the XLR option for the PA20 was never taken up (only 1 or 2 units had the option) so you will only be able to use the phono connection to your power amps. The XLR sockets are not connected inside the PA20R.

You wont lose any sound quality using phono to phono.

3. Bhavik

Bhavik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right I see, thank you very much :) No need to buy any new leads then :)

4. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bhavik,
    I tend to agree with roversd1 regarding distance and sonic benifits, nevertheless I would like to share with you my experience.

I bought a 250x3R which contains XLR outputs nevertheless my AV32R don't have any so (getting back in a few words)... As I detected some higher noise floor than in comparison with my 100x5R, I decided to try the XLR-RCA(Phono) aproach, and bingo! Noise completely gone :D . In this case the distance is very short, a meter or less and I had that problem. Most of the times the AV cables mess, induct noise on each other (not that i'm not using quality cables) causing problems like this...

Why it works, the XLR connection carries the signal in a differential way meaning any interferences inducted in between are banished at the arrival because the signal is obtained by the diference of two and not carried simply like in the phono plug, which would contain also the inducted noise. Not sure I was clear on explanation, but the lesson is:

- If you don't have any problem with phono-phono, don't bother;
    - If you notice something that shouldn't be there then you could benefit from XLR.

just my 2 cents...

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13