need some advice with making a kitchen and house suitable for a disabled person

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shahedz, Apr 24, 2007.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    Can anyone recommend any websites that sell kitchen utensils etc for disabled people. Also any advice on how we can care for her when she is back? I would like someone there fro,m 9-5 whilst we are at work- is there any help i can get with this or do i need to paysome for all of it myself.

Is there anything i have forgotten about? that i need to consider?
    Cheers fellas

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    blimey mate, I've no idea but I'm really so sorry to hear about your Mum and I just hope that her mental state improves.

All my best wishes

3. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  4. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Sorry to hear this , I've been caring for someone who's bi polar for 4yrs, and its a full time job as they can go off at anytime you need to see if theres a P.E.S.T team as they will come out 24/7 and are better at helping than a normal doctor. Being as you work payment help is very limited, you will have to get hospital doctors involved in this , I do not work only from home, you've got to socal services and get the packs , and get as much info as you can , if you have your own house , or she owns hers help is limited, basicly if you have nothing you get loads of help as some help is means tested, on the kitchen side look at some of the big manufactors as Magnet do ranges now. hope this is some help

5. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry to hear about your ma shahedz. I hope both you and your brother are also ok.

You've probably tried this site, but if not here it is.http://www.rethink.org/

Not sure how much home assistance you could get; my friend has serious depression and just gets trialled with different drugs until they work. He gets a good allowance though, which helps with his mortgage!

We have a crappy magazine posted through our letterbox called bettaware or betterware, it's kinda aimed at old folk so has a lot of decent utensils in, maybe worth a look. Other than that, just the obvious like low cupboards and the easy taps that can be pushed on and off instead of twisted. Sorry i can't think of anything else, but if i do I'll drdop you a line.

I think whats important is that you have a good doctor, both for your mother, and her immediate family, as this will be a very difficult time for all of you.

Hope this helps mate.

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    Cheers for your thoughts and help lads.:) some of those websites are great, everyday things i take for granted are going to have to be re thought now. Alot of work, Still sinking in but have taken mum off the ventilator today !!

I am bit worried about leaving her alone now. I appreciate she wont be home for a while but even then i will feel a bit scared. I also wanted some just to help with every day things that she may struggle to do alone at first- not even a professinal carer.

7. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Sorry to hear your news... it is not easy looking after someone when you have a full time job, the first thing to do is get in touch with social services...they will tell you wear you stand regarding help. Also will give good advice..

I recently had to put my mother in a home after looking after her for 4 years...I had an extension built onto the back of the house,shower,toilet,bedsitting room..........

It can be extremely stressful and this may seem harsh, but see if there are other alternatives, as I said get in touch with social services, seek advice...I also had a family member who suffered from depression...my thoughts go out to you...if you need any advice, please feel free to p.m me..........

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Sorry to hear about your mum mate, nasty stuff to deal with depression.

How old is your Mum Shahedz? That affects the majority of stuff available to help...
    If she's under 65 then DLA would be worth a look straight away. In your mums circumstances I'd be fairly confident she'd qualify for the high-rate care allowance, and probably the mobility component too if it's affecting both arms...
    My sister was in a similar situation recently after a bike accident, and it was a suprisingly trouble free process for her, getting her claim sorted out.

Otherwise, I'm no kind of expert on disability stuff, I've only my sympathies to offer.

All the best mate, and take it easy. :thumbsup:

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    Hi the Dude

hope your sister is better now, Mum has just turned 60. so not sure what help she can get. Have to say the Staff at Royal Free are fantastic, really have us all and my mum feel at ease

Guys really aprreciate all your thoughts and help so far

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,688
    Social Services can be brilliant, I would contact them if the Royal Free haven't done it on your behalf already.

Dave

11. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Check out the website, under 65 and your eligible..... and I'd guess your mum qualifies in just about every respect possible.

It's a handy amount of cash and can go straight towards paying for somebody to be with/around her.
    If there's anyone in the family only working part time, there's a potential £60 cash, plus car, for somebody to be with her full time. ;)

It's definitely worth enquiring.

By the sounds of it she might need somebody to be with her full time, for quite a while yet.

Minus 1 arm is bad enough, Minus 2 arms needs total care if her injuries are really that bad, it's not just the physical aspect you need to worry about.
    Even the sanest person would go :censored: crazy if unable to so much as pick their nose for a few days ( let alone weeks?), and there isn't anybody in my family that I'd particularly describe as being 'sane' :D

Sorry if that's harsh mate, but this honestly isn't going to be easy for you.
    Me and her bloke were doing 24/7 shifts looking after my sis for the first few weeks, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Ironically enough, this was all around a month after I'd just learned to walk again after smashing myself apart in a car accident.
    Her and Adam had just spent 6 weeks wheeling me to the bathroom, and making Tuna sandwiches on demand (1 minute SLA).

Poor Adam has been known as 'jeeves' ever since.... I think even his mum calls him Jeeves now. :rotfl:

You'll be right mate, but it's gonna be tough for a bit so get ready to be strong for your Mum, she'll really appreciate it. :)

12. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    pretty scared about the future , worried big time about how she will cope. thsi can only push her further into depression which is why i want help around for her.

the link you gave is great and i will be looking into getting that sorted asap :smashin:

13. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    "depression is still an illness not talked openly about"

A lot has changed, it's not pushed under the carpet in the slightest now so help will always be around (in many forms).

Can't imagine having to go through what you are, I hope it goes okay..

14. JayPJay

JayPJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    IronGiant quote that Social Services can be great may depend on each area, sometimes you will have to push firmly for support and many work on tight budgets so will not always be forthcoming with the support you require

Dont be put off from asking for the help you need as the support you require will assist both you and your mother. it is not going to be easy for either of you. best of luck mate

15. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Your mum should apply for Disability Living Allowance. This can be paid to people who suffer severe depression and have attempted self harm.