Need some advice regarding a soon to be replaced 50" Kuro.

Walkden86

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need some advice. Looking to upgrade my 50" Pioneer LX5090 Kuro at home to a 4k HDR TV.

That aside I've not decided whether I'm replacing the Kuro or re-locating it to my Static caravan to replace a Samsung 40" LED.

So I'm wondering what the general consensus is on 50" 1080p sets, what's considered the best?

Is it even worth considering a 1080p set? Broadband speeds aren't good enough for 4k & gaming would be in 1080p. Is that relevant or is an older 4k set better than any 1080p TV's?

I'm not convinced the Kuro will perform best in the Caravan, as I think a bright TV for daytime viewing is needed.

Help please!

Full HD is being phased out unfortunately, so it's generally the preserve of budget sets that don't get high end features like HDR. I believe the only model with even partial support is Sony's WE75 and that's limited to just a wider colour gamut.

High end TV ranges also typically start at 55" or 65" these days, so while going for 4K will get you a competent HDR TV you'll need to upsize to get access to the top of the range models.

Basically your choice for a 50" HDR TV comes down to last year's Samsung KS series or this year's Sony XE90.

I'm not sure that I explained clearly enough, the 50" Kuro is getting replaced by a 55" 4k HDR TV. I've already decided what TV to go for.

What I need advice on is what to do with the 50" Kuro I own, do I keep or sell and replace with a good LED backlit LCD. I don't need 4k or HDR in the caravan. I also don't think the Kuro would be the best for the application. 50 or 55 is fine.

Not bothered about smart tv or 3D, just what 1080p (LED) set over the last few years have the best picture.

Two things that benefit a tv in an areas with lots of light:

1. Anti reflection filters
  2. High Brightness

Your kuro will have 1, but not 2.
A FHD LCD will have neither. Maybe ones a few years old will have 1. The FHD LG 910v has 1, but not really 2 albeit brighter than your Plasma.
A budget UHD LCD may have 2 but not 1
A higher end LCD/OLED will have both (like Sony XD93/XE90 and higher or Samsung KS series tv's/Q series).

Since you aren't really going to want to get a high end tv as it's kinda a waste in a caravan I suggest you either stick with your Plasma, perhaps trial it too see how it works if you can.

If not opt for a budget UHD tv that gets bright enough like the Samsung KU6000 or Sony XD80. Neither will have as good pq as your kuro, they will also be pretty reflective and sd sources will likely look a lot worse...but at least they get bright.

Thanks that helped, I've been looking into what my Kuro is worth 2nd hand & it does make more sense to keep it.

Most content will be viewed in 1080p via plex, Netflix etc.

Yup, good FHD tv's aren't there anymore. There is the LG 910v OLED from 2015 if you can find one still, hopefully LG will also release the A7 FHD OLED here.

The OLEDs could do with getting a little brighter though.

Mind made up, I'm going to keep the Kuro. Might be worth getting it calibrated for day use. Albeit I don't want to spend a fortune.

Know of anyone in North Wales?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom