Need some advice please on 2014 receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by porscheman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi guys, I am probably being a bit of a plum here, but I cannot find any 'best buy' or 'award winner' categories on the forums for AVRs. I am looking at possibly getting a very good AVR with HD audio (not too bothered about Atmos etc, if this means I can get a higher sound quality non atmos device.)

My priority is superb sound quality, rather than functions for the sake of functions that I will never use. I only play blu-ray and dvd through my 5.1 home cinema speakers (dedicated garage room) at present.

Also, with 4k knocking on the door, I would like the AVR to be able to route this and can some explain about HDCP as I keep seeing this terminology whenever I look at AVR specs etc.... ! :)

As you can guess I am not up to speed with the latest AVR ! And I know that asking "what is the best xyz etc" is an open ended question. Budget is MAX £500, but I am more than happy to spend less ! p.s - does anyone rate the what hi-fi awards or are they rubbish?

Many thanks guys. :)

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,759
    If you want a 4K reciever with HDCP 2.2 you will need a 2015 model, maybe look at yamaha as they don't have atmos or DTS:X.

3. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thx Simon. Just a quick question. Assuming in a few years I buy a new 4k PJ or TV, and a new 4k disc player (UHD blu ray or whatever it is going to be named), could I just connect HDMI between the player and the display, and thus not route through the receiver at all? And then connect an HDMI for audio from player to AVR?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    The new Denon AVRX2200W would be one option. It is a 7.1 receiver and does include Atmos and DTS:X, but is very good value for money with a suggested retail price of £499. This receiver is due art the end of this month and will also include HDMI version 2.0a and be HDCP 2.2 compliant. As mentioned, the new Yamaha models are also an option, but you wont gain anything by buying one without Atmos or DTS:X capabilities. A similarly priced Yamaha will not be any better than the Denon in terms of its basic audio handling abilitiss and amplification.

I think it will be a shootout between the Denon AVRX2200W and Yamaha's RXV679 for you?

5. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,759
    It depends if the player has dual outputs for audio and video, pointless routing it to your tv and then to your amp though.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    Yes you can do this, but the player would need 2 HDMI output. You'd use one to convey the UHD encoded video directly to a capable device while the other is used to convey HD audio to an older non UHD compliant AV receiver.

7. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks guys. Dante and I have had some good chats about routing video though the AVR on my other thread ! :) I do slightly prefer denon over yammy, though I cannot back this preference up with any science ! So, just so I am clear, this HDCP 2.2 protocol is to allow copy protected media to be displayed on the tv/PJ ? I was thinking a higher quality £700 ish non 'atmos' 2014 receiver would now potentially be a better value choice than a current 2015 new'atmos receiver, seeing as I will be paying for sound format that I cannot use ! Looks like I might be best to wait until next year and see what happens in the AVR market.

8. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,759
    What makes you think 2016 models will be any different ?

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
  10. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    ^^ I hate all this tech stuff !! :)

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    Atmos and DTS:X are not costing you more, in fact this years new Denon models that include it are cheaper than the models they are replacing that lacked the new formats. The licensing agreements with Dolby and DTS that the manufacturers already had cover the new formats so no additional license fees are paid in order to include the new codecs. You will not get better pperformance by buying a receiver lacking the new formats. Concentrate on the receiver and not the formats. If you don't use them then that is fine, but don't exclude receivers just because they include them. :)

It could even be argued that DTS:X is actually facilitating better processing due to its requirement for more powerful processors onboard a receiver? Even it not wanting DTS:X you'd still get better processing power, which the Denon receivers do appear to have when compared to last years models?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  12. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    What I meant was this. Rather than being an early adopter of the latest and greatest, I like to take some time and see how things evolve. Based on this, I would prefer to buy the best AVR I can, but buy waiting 12 months or so I can potentially purchase that kit slightly cheaper. So, a 2014 AVR that was £700 last year, might only be £500 presently. This 'in theory' means I can by a better sounding AVR buy waiting a year or so. Seeing as AVR seems to fall into budget, mid range and high end, one could possibly buy 2014/2015 'high end' for mid price?

13. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Ignore above, I have just seen Dante's post #11. Thanks Dante, you have made things a lot clearer for me. So, what are the high flyers this year in the circa £500 range?

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    The aforementioned Yamaha and Denon models look favourable, but none of the new models are yet available. You should start to get them in stores by the end of this month?

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    By the way, you would still get this years new models cheaper next year. This will always be the case as old stock is discounted to make way for new.

16. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    ^^ Sounds like a plan Dante01. Many thanks again guys. These AV Forums are superb.