1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on whether to buy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bigmonty69, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have been scouring the web recently with regard to possibly purchasing a 42" Plasma Screen with an All in One Sound System.

I had pretty much settled on a Panasonic Plasma with a Jamo DV50 All in One System (the reviews seem to suggest these will go well as both have Progressive).

Anyway my problem is the fact I cannot get Sky on my building as it is a listed building (Converted block of flats from an old mill) and I cannot get Freeview as my aerial will apparently need upgrading and this is not possible as my whole block (8 flats) share the same aerial).

Should I just put buying on hold until I can get a Digital signal or should I buy the latest Panasonic which has a TV tuner?? Is it really worth getting a Plasma to use with Analogue TV and DVD?

Cheers.
    Dave

2. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how much DVD watching you do. If i was you I would pop down to a store that will show exactly what the picture will look like using just an aerial to see if you would be happy with it

If your aerial needs upgrading for Freeview then I'm assuming the signal is not brilliant. The 42" screen will only highlight this fact.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Absolutely, Dalorp. Garbage in, garbage out holds true for RF just like any other. What you might be able to do is find a TU600 tuner to go witha panasonic on ebay, or unless he's sold it, one of my customers might still have one. Then you can have a decent screen, and if/when digital becomes available, you can ditch it if you want to, and replace with digi. tuner, or keep it if you think it worthwhile. Personally I'd forget about all in one sound as well as all in one plasma tv, I appreciate you don't need to rock the world if you live in a flat, but you'd be a zillion times better off with something like a Pio. VSXc100, some eltax speaker pack and a £100 DVD like a Yam 540. And all for £350 ish

4. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers guys.

The only reason I am saying that I might not be able to get Freeview is the fact that the Postcode checker says 'I may' need an aerial upgrade. I don't want to buy a box and then find I do as this will not be possible. I wonder if it is possible to buy a box and return it if it does not work with my exisiting aerial??

Anyway as for the All in One sound setup. The only reason I was going for this is that I was finding it too confusing trying to find reviews for the speakers, dvd player and whatever other bits I need, so that I was not going to end up buying crap. Finding a review for an All in One setup was much easier Is it really that much different?

Cheers
    Dave

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Short answer yes. Freeview, where are you? Someone, one of us or retailer or both maybe (all in one system, member/retailer) would lend you a box to try, if it works great, if not hand it back. I will if you are anywhere in p***ing distance.

6. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the offer but I am up in the sticks known as Edinburgh.

I wonder if a local retailer will sell me a box and let me take it back if the signal is crap.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Try the media factory, EH4 www.tmfsolutions.co.uk Joe is V. helpful, might know someone even if he can't help, and will offer you a good deal on plasma and maybe sound too.

8. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers mate, you have been very helpful!