1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on something extremely annoying...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by davester, Dec 8, 2004.

1. davester

davester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I start, I'd just like to point out that I'm not an expert in these matters, but I've more or less reached the end of my tether trying to work this out.

I've got an Asus P4P800 motherboard with integrated SoundMax controller (can't remember which one off the top of my head - maybe AD1980?) I also have a receiver - a Sony STR-DE585, which works great. I've also got a coax S/PDIF output on the back of the motherboard, so I thought "what the hey, let's get some digital output going".

I get 5.1 Digital when playing dvd's and have got normal audio going through it as well. I have to say, everything works great, apart from one really, really annoying thing. Whether this is normal or not, I don't know, but instead of there being a constant audio output from the sound card (even when I'm not playing mp3s or whatever) the S/PDIF signal cuts out, and it takes about a second for the audio to kick back in again when I do start playing an mp3. It's particularly annoying because it means I can't hear any alert sounds - by the time they've played, the receiver only just notices there's a signal there and I don't hear anything.

If anyone could help me out with this, it'd be much appreciated. Cheers.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Unless anyone has a similar mobo and setup and experienced the same problems, you really need to lean on Asus support or any forums they have.
    I actually work for the company that makes the AD1980 (and other Soundmax chips) but all the big manufacturers modify the generic drivers that we supply for their own motherboards.
    http://www.soundmax.com/ is mainly a marketing site.
    You can click on "support" and see if anything in the FAQ is of help .
    You can also follow the link to get to :
    http://uk.asus.com/

For my own MSI mobo, I found the MSI forums of most real help as they are moderated by real users.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you mention SPDIF, what sort of connector are you using? Are you connecting to your amp via the Optical connector or the COAX?

I have a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 mobo, and have it connected via an optical cable to my Yamaha AMP, it was indeed a swine to get going but I did the following:-

Downloaded the nforce drivers from Nvidia and installed them, then I went into the sound manager and had to select the optical connector from there.

Made sure the Yamaha was set to use the optical input.

The strange thing recently is, when I did a fresh install of XP Home and installed every update from Microsoft, Nvidia and Gigabyte, the sound came optically without me having to select it!!

What OS are you running? and have you checked out any possible newer drivers? I'm afraid I do not know much about the mobo you have!!