1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on Roku M1000.....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by big_dan69, Sep 7, 2005.

1. big_dan69

big_dan69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I currently have all my music and video files on an external hdd.

What i wanted to do was to get one of the Roku players and play the music files through that in another room.
    The hdd has no OS and is just connected to the pc by normal usb. The pc has a wireless connection.

If i purchased a Roku player would it be able to play the files on the external drive?
    I am also thinking that i would have to have the pc turned on whenever i wanted to use the Roku?

Any help, or other suggestions would be helpful!

Cheers
    Dan

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'm not knocking Roku, but the Squeezebox 2 is a far superior bit of kit.

The SB2 comes with superb propriety server software called SlimServer and you can use this to set up your music directory, preferences etc...I believe the Roku can use this as well.

I deliberated a long time as to which one I bought - on the one hand the Roku is a great looker, but it was the functionality, performance and features of the SB2 that sold it to me (such as 54G wireless).

You can download SlimServer for free and use it with a software version of the SB2 called SoftSqueeze. A great way to make up your mind.

Slimserver: http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

SoftSqueeze: http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

Have fun which ever one you choose!

D.

PS - you will need to have the PC on when playing music from your USB drive, but another great thing about the SB2 is something called SqueezeNetworks which is a collection of Radio Stations/Podcasts etc which don't require the PC to be on at all.

3. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    What he said ^^

I owned a Roku and replaced it with a squeezebox and it is far far better.

The web interface and 30 second buffer are brilliant, the Roku always took a while to load up the tracks which was annoying at times.

As for your question, you will be able to keep them on the external drive, just point the slimserver software at the external drive. You will, however, need to have the computer on as well. The only way around this would be one of the newer NAS boxes with support for slimserver, but they are expensive.

If you have any questions, drop me a PM, I sell and install these so might be able to give you any advice you need.

Andrew

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Again, a vote for the SQ2. It doesn't look as good as the Roku, but it gives top performance, analogue and digital (not heard a Roku, but read plenty).

As Andrew said, PC on at all times (mines on 24/7). The PC's operating system will run the software, and get your music collection from your HD via USB as and when necessary.

You can then add more Rokus/Squeezeboxes for different rooms (kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc) and all can play different music from the same Hard Drive at the same time, or you sync them to play everything together. Best kit ever.

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible to run a version of slimserver on the NSLU2 Nas appliance. This acts as a NAS server for USB drives and is about 50 quid. I haven't tried slimserver on mine, I use it to transfer recordings from my Topfield PVR.

This would save you having to have the PC on all the time, and uses very little power (about 7 watts).

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

6. big_dan69

big_dan69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice guys.
    Although the Roku looks good, the Squeezebox 2 doesn't look that bad, especially as you can get it in a silver finish!!

I've seen a few sites selling them, i guess around the £180-£200 mark is the going price at the moment.

Thanks again
    Dan

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I've got a platinum one in front of me now, playing away. There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't look like other high quality hi fi kit. It look cheap in comparison. But it is cheap. What's great, is that the functionality and audio quality aren't cheap, they're great.

I bought 5 direct from Slimdevices, so they gave me a discount. I see they've also dropped the prices to $279 & $199 (not wireless), though they might not be suitable for only buying one unit.

8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Dabs did used to have them on offer, but that has just ended.

They should be around the £190-£200 mark online (thats what I sell them for).

The price drop sadly is America only and that isn't likely to change for the forseable future. Buying from America is certainly a good way if buying 5 or more, but for just the one, once you add postage and taxes it doesn't work out any cheaper, plus you have to wait for them to arrive.

If you want to try one out before hand, download the slimserver software (www.slimdevices.com) and then get a copy of softsqueeze (http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/) which is exactly the same as the squeezebox, same menu's, remote etc.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you are in the Newcastle area, I could arrange a demo for you to give you a better idea.

Andrew

9. big_dan69

big_dan69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer mate, but I live in London!!

Don't think i'll need 5 either i've only got a small flat!

I think i saw that www.scan.co.uk are doing them for about 180, could be interesting....

10. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thats a shame, just a little bit too far ;)

I think scan charge about £7 postage for everything or something daft like that, I remember almost ordering some software a while ago and it was £7 on that.

I can supply them for £190 inc, but would have to double check the supply at the distributor as I think dabs drained quite a few with the last offer!