Need some advice on rear positioning, stick with bipolar or go monopole?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Attached below is a layout of how my lounge is at the mo.

The centre is under the TV and we have floorstanders either side of the TV for front L+R.
    The problem I have is positioning the rear spakers. I currently have a pair of Gale 3060 bipolars which at the moment are sat on the arms of the 3-seater sofa!! Not exactly a great spread for the rear soundfield!!

I was originally going to mount one on the wall to the right of the 3-seater and hang the other ffrom the ceiling at an equal distance from the left of the sofa. Only problem with this is that bipolar sound different when wall mounted as opposed to free air so I think this might sound odd. Likewise if I were to position the left rear on the far left wall, even with SPL adjustments I feel it would sound more distant than the right rear channel.

Would they work positioned on the back wall? The right one would end up in the corner, problem?

The other option would be switching to monopoles. I have a new pair of AE Aesprit 309 floorstandres coming so could switch the to matching Aesprit AE301 rear speakers. I belive they are meant to be wall mounted which would suit as I'm not a fan of rear speakers on stands.
    Incidentally, I read this in a review
    ". The AE301 is a conventional, direct radiating design, and is best used behind the listening position, and above ear level. "

Would this mean that if located forward firing ona rear wall the sound is diffused slightly?

Would these work directly on the back wall, or would I need to toe them in a little?

I'm thinking the switch to the 301's may be the best option as it would match the fronts, however will the bipolars give me the better soundfield?

I need advice on which positions with which speaker swill give best results.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I would try mounting them on the wall behind you and listening to them.

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The bipolars?

I will do, however I don't really want to drill holes in the wall if that's not where they'll stay, maybe I need to get someone to hold them, or use something make-shift!!

Bipolars are best 60-90cm above ear level right?

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the advice, I'll try them behind and see how they sound. Still reckon the rear right will sound different to the rear left as you will get reflections off the wall from right, but left will be firing out into open air either side.

Think I'll make up the bracket for ceiling also and try them either side, one on wall & one on ceiling bracket. Then I'll just have to switch about and see which sounds best.

Also interesting stuff on the front positions being toed in by 22-30 degrees. In my room I only manage about 11 degrees. To get 22 deg I would need 3.06m between the front mains, and for 30 deg I would need 4.38m between them!! :eek:

6. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, what an arse, just noticed that the rear left poistion on the back wall where I'd be mounting 1 fot in and 1 foot down is right in line with a double socket & coax outlet!! I'm sure I could be lucky to miss the cables but I'd have to be careful, wouldn't do it with the power on anyway!!

As for side mounting would a difference of 1.8m to the right against 4.3m to the left be too much of a difference , even with compensating levels?

Haven't managed to find anything to prop them up on yet, and I'm home alone at the mo :(

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi
    Hallsy i used to have mission bipolars and had them mounted just under the coving either side of my sofa as you could where the three seater sofa is,My sofa is right up against the wall also and they did sound good.
    Cheers gonzo.

8. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers gonzo, I can mount mine on side walls but the left side would be 1.8m fron the listening position and the right would 4.3m away. I'm guessing that this would sound a little unrealsitic as the sound would have diffused a lot more from the further speaker, even with the levels turned up. I don't know for sure - just guessing.

Also, rear placement, the left speaker would be close to a isde wall, but the right would be nowhere near one again.

Always a bloody compromise this stuff :(

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi
    Hallsy mine are on the back wall either side my sofa not the sides,I doubt the rears would sound different even though one will be closer to the side wall this would matter even less with monopoles sited high up slightly toed in pointing downwards and the balanced with a spl meter.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    Ps home cinemas in the lounge always have some compromise due to mrs hallsys and mrs gonzos :D .

10. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry, gonzo, misunderstood your post!
    You're right though, it's an ongoing compromise against the other halfs of this world!! If only she was interested, but she says she can't understanbd why I want it all :rolleyes:

Yes, I can see monoples working better if close to walls, with the really cheap prices at AE at the mo, I may well buy a pair of the AE301 rears to match my fronts and try these against the bipolars.
    If i stick with monopoles I can sell them on, if I stick with the bipolars the monopoles might do for a small kitchen stereo :)