Question Need some advice on new purchase

LeeDavis87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I'd come here and see what people think.

Looking to buy new tv, either 50 or 55" on a tight budget of £550 but I have a few questions.

I've been offered the chance to buy a 2016 49" KS7000 for £450 which isnt too bad. I know it's 10bit and a decent nit rating etc, but does it still beat say the hisense U7A? Im just wondering how far advanced has the processors, panels, connectivity, software has come in 2 years.

KS trounces the U7A. Only slight issue may be lack of HLG - but that’s still very much in the early stages.

Does the KS range have HLG?

I went on displayspecs website but in real world viewing it doesnt say whats better really.

No HLG on KS range.

Despite that, it still is the better tv. By a margin.

Does the KS range have HLG?

I went on displayspecs website but in real world viewing it doesnt say whats better really.
Only works via HDMI using an external device but its up for debate if its working correctly or not.

Closest TVs now to the KS7000 would be the Sony XE9005 (2017) and Samsung Q7F(2017) but if those aren't available you may want to wait for the XF9005(2018) and Samsung Q7FN (2018) or better to come down in price.

I would not buy the Hisense for HDR gaming, at very least you'll want a TV that can reach 1000 nits, even better if it comes with good local dimming like the Sony's.

In terms of whats important for good HDR, 10 bit is about bottom of the list so I wouldn't waste any time looking at TVs that are 10bit or not. Be careful with displayspecifications.com too it's not always accurate.

Only works via HDMI using an external device but its up for debate if its working correctly or not.

Closest TVs now to the KS7000 would be the Sony XE9005 (2017) and Samsung Q7F(2017) but if those aren't available you may want to wait for the XF9005(2018) and Samsung Q7FN (2018) or better to come down in price.

I would not buy the Hisense for HDR gaming, at very least you'll want a TV that can reach 1000 nits, even better if it comes with good local dimming like the Sony's.

In terms of whats important for good HDR, 10 bit is about bottom of the list so I wouldn't waste any time looking at TVs that are 10bit or not. Be careful with displayspecifications.com too it's not always accurate.
Sadly all the tv's you've suggested is well above my budget. I did like the look of the MU7000 but only the 49" which isnt as good as the 55 Im told?

Main use for tv is gaming on xbox one x, and SKY Q (Mainly sports)

Sadly all the tv's you've suggested is well above my budget. I did like the look of the MU7000 but only the 49" which isnt as good as the 55 Im told?

Main use for tv is gaming on xbox one x, and SKY Q (Mainly sports)
Well what is your budget? If you were buying a month or two ago you could have obtained the 49XE9005 for around £800.

The secret isn't just in the TV you get, but when you buy and unfortunately now is a bad time unless you can get hold of a 2017 model still.

The 2017 models are all but selling out whilst the 2018 models having just been released carry a premium.

You would be better off waiting and saving for a higher end TV. If you go less than the TVs mentioned you lose a lot of HDR performance and in some cases they may look better with HDR switched off.

The Samsung MU7000 is a lower-mid range model, it doesn't have high peak brightness for HDR but retains a wide colour gamut for better colour. Sadly the 49" version Samsung gave only a 60hz panel but this doesn't matter for gaming really.

In the 2018 lineup there are also TVs with adaptive sync so it will definitely be a better time to buy once the 2018 models come down in price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom