1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on 42 rear projection screens

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bimbeemer, May 24, 2002.

1. Bimbeemer

Bimbeemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi,

Choosing a tv is doing doing my nut.....!

Can anyone help?

Looking for at least 40 - 44 Widescreen for less than £1800 - Rear Projection I guess...?

Any major downsides vs crt thats worth knowing.......?

Sound must be decent (although something above nicam would be good) but picture quality is more important ......

Tempted by the Tosh 42WH18B as we've had Tosh's in the past and they've looked and sounded great...

But....there's also Panasonic TX42PT10 that looks good and also the Samsung Sp43J6HD although not too sure about LCD.....as well as most of the other older Toshiba models in that size range..

Can anyone offer any suggestions / alternatives or highlight any problems with these.

Thanks

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the tosh 42wh18b and it is fantastic. Sound is great and picture is amazing, especially on dvd. I had 3 sony tvs before this all with faults so i avoid sony altogether now. I then had 2 panasonic 42pt10s. Both these had bad problems and I see the set is now discontinued. I now have the tosh and I am well chuffed with it. Tosh are now doing another RP tv also 42 which I think replaces this one. the only difference is that the new model accepts these free channels on tv like bbc choice etc. there is a thread on here somwhere about it. Good luck but I would go for the tosh

cheers

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the new model is the 42WT29 and there is a thread telling you all about it on this forum

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the build quality on the tosh was ultra naff.

I did a search and shaunthedude here said the same thing. He nows seems to like it though, so maybe he superglued it back together.

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true. I did prefer the build quality of the panny but after getting the tosh in the house and looking at it properly I am quite impressed and there is very little in it. There build quality has come on a long way since my brothers tosh a few years ago. Hope that answers your question bendover. Ill not ask you why there is a pic of a man bending over next to your name!!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ones I looked at in the shops seemed to have an ill-fitting hardboard back to them. Very crap. I think this was a 47 inch.

I think Sony rule the roost with their equipment. Particular the DAV units (not a tv I know). Very stylish and cracking quality.

Well - my sister Eileen thought it would be amusing.

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    With Shaunthedude on this one...

I had the Samsung set... rubbish and faulty. Then I had the Panasonic... not so rubbish... but still very faulty. Now going for the Tosh.

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh does have a hardboard base to the rear but it is very solid. In fact the whole set, now I have looked at it properly is far more sturdy and solid compared to the panny I had. JON, hope you find the Tosh as a good as I have found it.

9. Bimbeemer

Bimbeemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for the input guys, after much thought and hrs of lookin at various tv's I guess its going to have to be the Tosh 42" w/s with Dolby Digital...or maybe even the 50".......

A couple of questions about the Tosh then....

1) Does anyone have the optional glass stand that goes with it...? does it look naff sitting right at the bottom of the main stand...or would you say it helps to improve viewing by lifting the screen higher up...?

2) Having mainly viewed the tvs in the same old high st. shops the picture quality varies in every single shop...depending on how its been hooked up....can someone reassure me that the picture quality will be majorly improved when its connected to a decent digital source...dvd / digibox or is the picture generally much more grainy and not as precise as a top notch CRT... I can understand that for the larger screen sizes any imperfections in the source will be amplified...but I can't beleive some of the RP screens look so bad Vs the CRT screens in the way they've been displayed in some of these shops...

3) Price...i've seen this going from £1450 with bugger all to £1800 with all the bits - xtra stands, warranty etc. Anyone know of anywhere that sells it for less...?

Thanks

10. ]|EGG|[

]|EGG|[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bimbeemer,

I'm in a similar situation and plan on buying a new RPTV in the next week for when I move into my new house.

I've decided on the 50" Toshiba WH18B or if it's out by then the newer replacement 50WT29 due in June.

I was put off the 42" version because it sat too low to the ground for my liking when I was sat in a natural sitting position and when you see the 42" set on the optional stand it makes the TV look kinda daft and disproportianate, as with the stand added the total base size is far greater than the total screen viewing size...too many horizontal lines in the base area for my liking too!

See here for what I mean:

http://www.tescohs.co.uk/images/elec/large/83R15.jpg

In my experience I've found the 50" looks better and eliminates the need for a stand to bring the height of the TV up to a decent seating position on my couch.

The best prices I've seen for the 50" are as follows:

www.qed-uk.com (£1863.55 + Free Delivery)
    www.robertsons-online.co.uk (£1850.00 + Free Delivery)www.avshopdirect.co.uk (£1849.99 + Delivery £49.99)

With regard to seeing them set up properly all I can say is take a DVD your familiar with along to your nearest branch of Curry's/Comet and get them to give you a demo using this source material of your chosing. The picture from a digital source is far better than the usual analogue stuff that they use to display from the instore TV aerials.

A fellow forum poster called Tomas has given me a link to his webspace that shows his 50" set in use and I find the picture quality of the TV from the photo's to be very good, have a look here:

http://www.dvdforum.nu/galleri/index.asp?act=sa&id=1105&user=1560

Hope you enjoy whichever set you buy mate, take into consideration the size of your room too as you don't really wan't to be sat directly ontop of it and also it may look overpowering.

Cheers

]|EGG|[

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when these sets are first switched on new from the factory, the contrast is at max. Most retailers just leave this so the picture looks crap. I have my contrast at about 37% and the brightness at around 40%. I have now got the convergence spot on and I can honestly say that the picture is stunning. Especially on dvd with rgb or s video input. My last tv was a panny CRT and the picture on the tosh rp is by far the better of the two. I dont have a stand but they do look ok under the tv and they bring the tv to a better height. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THE TOSH RP. let us know how you get on

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm...

Previous Post
    Previous Post
    AND FINALLY

Flavour of the month is Tosh though...:confused:

PS. got fed up of posting all the relevant links, but they are all there. Do a search.

13. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I love Panasonic and have always had them. UNTIL my last one. It went mad after I had it for about 3 weeks or so. I then went for TOSH which is rare for me coz Ive never had one before. I am well impressed with it. I still like Panasonic and if I could I would have another but they dont do a RP that I am happy with. Have you not got owt better to do than scroll through my posts. What are you, a private eye. Why not go and "BEND OVER" in front of you boyfiend, gay boy.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a bit personal.

I had simply noticed your apparant change of opinion and thought it a bit strange.

If you can't comment without throwing nasty insults around please don't bother. Thanks.

I believe I have simply shown up the facts, whereas you resort to hitting out.

15. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i explianed myself yesterday when you had a go. I would reccomend a panasonic to anyone. They are a fantastic make. However, I had 2 RPs of them and both were faulty so I went to Tosh. They have since discontinued that model which was only out for about 3 months. That almost proves they were having trouble with it. It had a great picture and was very well put together but it kept breaking down. When i made those posts about it I was happy with it. Now I have a Tosh which i was a bit worried about getting to start with. However, they have proved me wrong. Its a great set and Im pleased with it. When I come to change it again hopefully Panasonic will have a fault free model out and I can go back with Panny. There, are you happy now, will you leave me alone and go pester somone else. Sorry about the insult but i thought it was funny. If I had known you were a sensitive boy I would not have said it.:D

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apology accepted.

I am not in the least sensitive, but that's not the kind of comment you would throw around normally.

For what it's worth, I cannot afford either a Tosh or a Panasonic, but I am very interested in these expensive tv's.

I own a 28" Beko. Although this is a budget set, it is very good and I believe competes with the likes of Toshiba/Phillips/Panasonic etc. If they did a projection TV - I would be looking at them.

I am now off to bend over and have a good ****. :D

17. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have an old ITT tv downstairs. It is 18 years old and still has a great picture. Half the time you just pay for a name. When you can afford one of these Ben go for the TOSH. NO go for the PANNY, NO go for the SONY, NO go for the japunag 12inch B/W portable. Only £20 from the corner shop. No warranty but it will work trouble free for the next 20 years. By that time one of the big companys may have got widescreen tvs working fault free. I still find your name funny. cheers

18. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I progressed from a RPT Tosh 40" to a 56" some 18 months ago, provided that you are not reliant on watching terrestrial channels (picture is unpleasent/ grainy) and are using it for viewing via a Digibox / DVD then the picture is great, certainly not an issue even with a reasonable amount of light in the room.

I did take out an extended warranty for 5 years as I was of the belief that the lifespan of the bulbs were far less than that of your standard CRT, I have however since been advised that there is no reason why the bulbs should not last as long as a CRT?