Need some advice as to what to do with PC

demonboarder

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my PC. Last I fiddled with it was around 4 years ago so definitely time for some tuning.

Here are my specs.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3 (SOCKET 0)

Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI)
Storage
111GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Crucial CT2000MX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))

I'm looking at a budget of around £600-900

I am toying with upgrading the motherboard so I can slot some better DDR4 ram into it. I should probably upgrade the GPU to a 3060, but with the lack of supply at the moment, I don't mind holding off till they come back in the future and save up for it then.

What do people reckon? Still better to wait out for the GPU?

I imagine the CPU maybe holding you back now with a 1080.
I would probably look at a ryzen 3600, motherboard and 16GB DDR4. Should set you back around £400.

Ok - I'll look into those. Any thoughts on motherboard?

Ok - I'll look into those. Any thoughts on motherboard?
All comes down to preference. The X570 is top of the line but also has the top of the line price tag.
I would personally look at a B550. B450 is old now.
I have an MSI and it has been great, the reviews for MSI are also good. But it all depends on the features you want/need (for example, number of SATA/USB ports, size (ATX/mATX) and if you want lighting or not)

All comes down to preference. The X570 is top of the line but also has the top of the line price tag.
I would personally look at a B550. B450 is old now.
I have an MSI and it has been great, the reviews for MSI are also good. But it all depends on the features you want/need (for example, number of SATA/USB ports, size (ATX/mATX) and if you want lighting or not)

I have no desire for lighting - but have a big case so ATX would work - USB don't really bother me as I can use extenders - which is the one you have?

I have no desire for lighting - but have a big case so ATX would work - USB don't really bother me as I can use extenders - which is the one you have?
I have the MSI B450m Mortar. Can be picked up for about £70 and can be used with the new 5xxx ryzens. If I was building now I would get something like this

I have the MSI B450m Mortar. Can be picked up for about £70 and can be used with the new 5xxx ryzens. If I was building now I would get something like this

Is this one any good?

X570 is a better board even though it's older?
Depends on the features you want. The main difference it seems is that X570 supports PCIE 4 while B550 doesn't. Will this make a difference? Maybe, but GPUs are starting to utilise all of the PCIE 3 speed

Depends on the features you want. The main difference it seems is that X570 supports PCIE 4 while B550 doesn't. Will this make a difference? Maybe, but GPUs are starting to utilise all of the PCIE 3 speed
You've been a huge help thank you - I'll look into the x570.

One last question - my PSU is a pretty basic 600w job. Should I upgrade that while I'm at it or do you think that will suffice. The Ryzen CPU comes with a cooler - so not sure if I will need a seperate cooling system, but possibly I do?

You've been a huge help thank you - I'll look into the x570.

One last question - my PSU is a pretty basic 600w job. Should I upgrade that while I'm at it or do you think that will suffice. The Ryzen CPU comes with a cooler - so not sure if I will need a seperate cooling system, but possibly I do?
Depends on the PSU manufacturer. It is is a corsair, EVGA or other big brand, then it should be ok depending on the GPU.
The ryzen comes with a half decent cooler. It is up to you if you replace but if your not overclocking it will be fine

Depends on the PSU manufacturer. It is is a corsair, EVGA or other big brand, then it should be ok depending on the GPU.
The ryzen comes with a half decent cooler. It is up to you if you replace but if your not overclocking it will be fine
The PSU is definitely low end - Fractal Design Essence 600W ATX Power Supply Unit OEM

Current GPU is GTX 1080 - eventually I will upgrade that to a 3060 though

I would probably upgrade that as well.
I'm running a 650 watt EVGA gold rated with a 5600x and 3080 and it runs fine. Nvidia recommend 750 watts for the 3080 but this, I think, is for the more power hungry Intel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom