1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some adivice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by evolution400, Jan 17, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am looking at setting up my spare room which is 13ft by 15ft is this big enough for a projector ?
    Which is better LCD or DLP I have a DLP tv at the moment and I must say I am impressed with that so anyone give me some good models ?
    Are the model numbers same here as in the USA ?
    I go to the USA quite regular so I could purchase one out there and probably hlaf the price really.
    Thanks in advance.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That room's a good size, especially if you project in the 15' direction it gives you the option of a longer-throw model to have the projector behind the seating position.

As for your other questions .. neither LCD nor DLP is better, each have pros and cons, the choice is a trade-off. That said, DLPs generally give better contrast (ie. deeper blacks) and brighter colours, the down-side is the problem of 'rainbows' .. do RPTVs suffer from that, if they do and you're not bothered by them then that allows you to consider those.

Before making recommendations though, what's your budget? That tends to help narrow the focus. :)

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well if the DLP RPTVs do suffer it either mine doesnt or I dont notice so DLP is on the cards for me then :)
    about 1000ish is my budget can go higher just I was looking at the prices in the USA circuit city supply infocus and theres one on ther for $1000 which is like £500 more or less :)
    I want it to be able to handle 720p so I can hook up the xbox and be HDTV ready so accept HDMI etc
    I think they have std PSU and you just change the plug but even if I have to buy a transformer still loads cheaper but if anyone can help with models I am willing to look at DLP or LCD I would be using the 15ft length also :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For that price I don't know of any DLPs that are 1280x720 native, if that's the case then you're looking at an LCD like the Panny AE700 or maybe the Sanyo Z3, there are very few machines available right now that are HDMI both these are DVI/HDCP which work fine with an HDMI source.