Question Need solid, high (84"/215cm+) tripod

steebu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm needing several tripods that can reach 84"/215cm or higher. While the Manfrotto 161 MK2B's are solid I'm wondering if there's a cheaper option?

Thanks a ton!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi steebu . . . perhaps you can say why this height is needed....and what you've tried in the past that failed.
+ Is this for carrying about? -or- for use near a car, for example..... Is this a quick-set-up, or one where you will be staying-put?
You may have to give us some idea of the Budget, too.

I'm amazed that most tripods are so short . . . most incapable of achieving "eye-height" unless the target human is seated, or a child.
Professional ones are taller, but heavier and selling in small numbers ( plus the "Pro" tag) raises the price considerably. I have a Manfrotto pro that is almost 6' - but that weighs as much as a small child and is rarely used.... Esp. now that most cameras+camcorders have active stability built-in.

Have you considered a jib ? - placed on a modestly robust tripod, it will easily reach yr target height - but monitoring the view then becomes an issue.

Cheers.

I'm amazed that most tripods are so short . . . most incapable of achieving "eye-height" unless the target human is seated, or a child.

While not reaching the OP's height spec, this tripod at 1.8m (70.8") is well above my eye height.

Nest Video Tripod NT-777 + Fluid Damped Pan Head

With it I get a sore neck if looking up at V750's LCD screen for extended periods. (I normally use it fully extended for a static/unattended/fixed-focus goal camera so I only look up for a short time during setup while I'm adjusting the MF on the V750.) Its head is OK as long as you don't need fast panning (e.g. following end-to-end soccer action) as the drag of the fluid-effect head is non-adjustable.

BTW, although not mentioned in this listing, the bowl diameter is 75mm if you wish to use another head with it.

Dan.

Last edited:
Nest 1.8m tripod NT-777. w. fluid-damped head and 75mm bowl.

Thanks Dan, unfortunately that tripod is only available from outside the UK - I wonder why?
+ It appears to be similar in spec to some of the taller Manfrotto* and whilst it's not cheap ( the link you show is Euro 149 + 12 shipping.).... the weight is almost 3kg - putting it really in the realms of Pro-kit, ( from reading the spec. ).
+ Yes, I'd like the chance to see one!!!

Cheers.

* most of the Manfrotto (below very expensive), do not have any extra bracing. However, I note that the NT-777 has only bracing at the topmost-section, leaving the legs somewhat less supported.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom