Need small front speakers

Hurricane434

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Currently I have a Denon AVR-587 and a pair of old Infinity bookshelf speakers that my aunt gave to me when I moved into my house. I have them on top the entertainment center (have a corner entertainment center) and I am looking to get some new speakers since those just don't have much power and don't sound good. I like stereo listening, but also would like a good surround sound setup for movies. I already have wiring coming out of two corners of my living room ceiling from where the previous homeowner had some back speakers.

My question is this. When looking at front floorstanding speakers I am coming to the conclusion that they may be too big for my room. Not really talking about sound, but just in pure size. I would like something that does not overpower my room. A pair of Klipshe at Best Buy for example are 42" high. Will a pair of good bookshelf speakers do the trick and can they be placed on the floor? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

it all depends on the space they have to fill. good bookshels on good sturdy stands can sound big in certain rooms it just depends on the rooms acoustic tendencies.

it also depends on your budget is to

maybe some bookshelfs + a sub might be a good comprimise that way you get the timing and accuracy of the bookshelfs plus the grunt of a subs low end. also the sub can be placed elsewhere then where your speakers are. it takes more setting up but when the levels are done right (although rarely people actually get them right) it sounds great. problem is if your not into setting stuff up and want something out the box that will work straight away with minimul fuss then floorstanders would be better. there are always the small floorstander options something like kefs iq50's are only about 32 inches tall. it all depends on your budget though without that we cant really recomend anything

My living room (carpeted) is about 15' x 14' and is open to a small dining area and then I have a bar which is a slight barrier to the kitchen. It is a large open room if you count all of that. When you figure in the dining area and the kitchen you have about 34 ft (14 + 9 + 11). The dining and kitchen has porcelain tile floors. The distance from where the front speakers would be beside the entertainment center to the couch is about 10 ft.

As for the budget, I would say I'm looking to spend around $500 for a pair. I realize I will have to add a center speaker (another $200-$250?), probably a subwoofer and two small back speakers. Hadn't thought about the back speakers too much but since movies aren't really my main priority I don't need the best or anything.

Also would rather get some that sell in a store around me so I can hear them first. I don't see anywhere close to me where KEF is sold but I'm not that familiar.

What about bookshelf speakers with a small stand or something to aim them upward a little? Was looking online at Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 5 1/4". They seem to have good reviews. They are 220 a piece.

Last edited:
Bookshelf speakers can not be placed directly on the floor but would need some form of stand to raise them up to the right height. As above a budget would help with recommendations.

i cant really comment on definitive technology as iv never heard a set. as for klipsch i have demod them and found them to be quite harsh but then again sound is subjective to taste what i dont like you might and vice versa so id suggest to demo them first and if you like them then obviously thats a good choice

what other brands are stocked near to where you live?

i wouldnt recomend small stand pointing upwards for bookshelves i think proper sized stands with the speakers pointing forward would be much better

i would suggest if possible to get floorstanders with that space to fill

if you can let me know what brands are stocked i can have a look around later and try to help you get a shortlist to demo (im not expert myself but i will try and help find some worthy of auditions and then let your ears make the final decision)

Thanks for the thoughts. Some of the brands that I know are stocked locally are: Klipsch, Bose, Polk Audio, Sony, Pioneer, Definitive Technology (sold by Magnolia Audio video), Energy (also sold by Magnolia). There are a few others from Magnolia that are a bit expensive...Martin Logan, Bowers & Wilkins.

I'm gonna go take a look around this afternoon while I'm free for the day. Thanks again.

PSM1, my budget for the front speakers is about $500 although if there were some I really liked for slightly more I may be flexible since I will most likely be keeping them for a while.

if you can stretch to some b&W's then theyd probably be worth an audition as they make some pretty nice speakers

iv seen people round the forum say polk audios are nice to some maybe audition them

im not personally a fan of bose at all and i have no experience with sony speakers

I believe Definitive technology are a reasonable make but then so are B&W. B&W are normally a good match to Denon amplification so although they may be expensive they could be worth a listen. As kendal suggests I would pop into magnolia and have a listen to a couple of speakers they have around and maybe just above your price range. Then let your ears decide which is worth buying.

Kendal, I agree on Bose. I'm not much of a fan myself.

Unfortunately I was wrong about the Magnolia brands...don't have at the stores around here. They were online at Best Buy but only have them at certain locations. Maybe I can listen to some if I go out of town. Think there's one in Metarie, around New Orleans area, which is two hours away. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Kendal, I agree on Bose. I'm not much of a fan myself.

Unfortunately I was wrong about the Magnolia brands...don't have at the stores around here. They were online at Best Buy but only have them at certain locations. Maybe I can listen to some if I go out of town. Think there's one in Metarie, around New Orleans area, which is two hours away. Thanks again.

thats a fair drive away but would be worth it if your finding speakers that match what you want ie not to big but sound it

only thing that brings up is what other speakers can you find there?

thats a fair drive away but would be worth it if your finding speakers that match what you want ie not to big but sound it

only thing that brings up is what other speakers can you find there?

Not sure but I know Def Tech has models of center speakers, subwoofers, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom