Need set top box compatible with 4.3 mode

Saramol

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

My digi box (Asda own) gave up the ghost, so yesterday I bought a Goodman GBD11 which has turned out not to be compatible with my old portable tv. I set it to 4.3 but it keeps reverting to 16.9....everyone looks really skinny!

My old box was fine,didn't have that problem.

Does anyone know of a make that will be 4.3 compatible? Got to be cheap I'm afraid!

Thanks a lot.

Sara

Sara, welcome to the forum.
All Freeview boxes can be set to output 4x3 or widescreen.
Make sure the scart lead is connected to the TV scart socket on the Freeview box...not the one marked VCR or AUX and make sure it is firmly seated at both ends.

Hi Jaycee

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

Everything is set up ok, only one scart socket, all working fine except the picture width. I set it to 4.3 mode, but it only stays in that mode for a couple of seconds then reverts to 16.9 automatically.

I phoned customer services at Goodman and he told me that this is a problem with some boxes if they are connected to old tv's. Unless I can set it up on the TV itself (which I can't) then there is nothing I can do about it. According to him, the TV is basically fighting the box! :)

Never had this problem with the old box or any other in the house (got 4 of different makes). Unfortunately, Asda has stopped selling the one that's just died or I would have had that one again.

I'm going to try another brand today and see if that works. There's an Argos 4 miles away so will keep trying theirs until I find one that doesn't make the peolpe look like they've been on a starvation diet! :facepalm:

Thanks again.

Sara

Hi Saramol -

My Wharfedale DV832B freeview receiver, bought from Argos in March 2006 for £40, failed this week, generating a puff of smoke in the process. Up to the point of failure, I had been very pleased with the box, which I used with a 7-year-old LOGIX 15 inch LCD TV with a 4:3 screen, giving a wonderful picture. On a 16:9 transmission, it gave a picture of the correct proportions, though obviously with the sides cropped off by the narrow screen.

The next day, I went to Agos and bought a Bush Twin Scart Digital Set Top Box for £17.99. I had exactly the same problem you described, that even when the box was set to 4:3 aspect ratio, after a second or so the picture would revert to 16:9 - which on a 4:3 screen meant that everything looked tall and thin. Strangely, the problem did not occur on BBC channels, where the picture had the correct proportions with the sides cropped off. The picture definition and colours of the Bush were much inferior to my old Warfedale.

Doing hours of searching on-line, I have found many people complaining of the same problem from modern cheap set top boxes, which I suspect all use the same basic chip set and software inside. Many users, I think, are not very discerning and just suffer the terrible picture proportions. I couldn't tolerate it, and took the box back to Argos and got a refund.

I don't have a solution at present, but I am going to try the TVonics MDR-240 (Tesco have it at £35), which I am confident does not use the same chipset and software as the others, so there is hope. If it has the same problem, Tesco will get it back!

Hi bluemere2

Since my last post, I have tried an Alba from Argos and had the same problem. Took it back.

Although Asda have stopped stocking the one I had before, I did manage to get one from their website. I thought I'd cracked it but, I'm having the same problem with it, although the previous one was only bought 8 months ago and was fine.

Must be a new batch, sounds like they are using different software as you suggest.

I must say that the picture is better on this one than the others I tried. Even in 16.9 they don't look too bad. Although I can't read the clock in the bottom corner on the BBC news. lol

At the moment I've got it on 4.3 and am putting up with the black band! It's only a tv I use in a spare bedroom where I have my computer so it doesn't get used that much.

Would appreciate it if you could let me know if you do find one that works.

Good luck!

Sara

Hi Sara

I've ordered the TVonics MDR-240 from Tesco Direct. Unfortunately, the snow has prevented any possibility of delivery to my rural area. When I eventually get the box, I'll let you know how it performs.

Best wishes and happy Christmas
B.

Hi Sara

Sorry about the delay in responding to my last post. I received the MDR-240 and I can report that it performs perfectly on a 4:3 television, and I would think for any SCART-connected television.

On setup, for 4:3 TVs the box offers a choice of letterbox or cropped picture on widescreen broadcasts. My preference is for cropped (where the sides of the picture are cropped off by the narrow visible screen), as I don't like the top and bottom black bars of the letterbox presentation. In both choices the aspect ratio is correct (people's faces are not tall and thin), and the setting stays set irrespective of what channel you switch to, and irrespective of switching the box on to standby or removing the mains supply. Perfect.

The picture quality is also excellent, and the remote control has good sized buttons.

Hope that helps.

B

Hi bluemere2
. I thought I'd cracked it but, I'm having the same problem with it, although the previous one was only bought 8 months ago and was fine.

Sara

If your old one was only 8 months old, you are entitled to a refund as it was clearly "unfit for purpose". With twice the dosh you should be able to pick up a decent box!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom