Need replacement Yamaha RX-V377 FM antenna cable

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by King Mustard, Jun 5, 2018.

1. King Mustard

King Mustard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm looking for a replacement FM antenna cable for a Yamaha RX-V377 AV receiver.

The manual shows this:

eb_antenna1.png

eb_antenna2.png

I live in the UK.

Any idea what would work?

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Should be a standard Belling Lee plug on the back of the receiver... male, so a 'socket' will be needed on the end, which is normal for FM radio aerials nowadays. But some may still come with a standard TV plug on the end so a 'barrel' double-ended socket adapter will be needed to connect up. {Check the back of the receiver with a standard TV aerial lead to be sure}.

Room aerials (most often ribbon T-style) are not always successful for FM reception, though. Depends on where you live. FM / DAB Radio Aerials ofers some useful advice.

3. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't have your receiver but I have used that sort of antenna many times over the years with various receivers. Unless you are very lucky, they are pretty bad. If you want it to be discreet and hence limited in locations then they can be even worse. I probably have one or two rotting in my shed. I have an FM antenna on my roof but I am disappointed with that as well.

I recently upgraded my Onkyo 605 to a Denon X3200W. One major gain is the Internet radio. It's much better than FM. Back in the Onkyo days, I gave up on FM (even with the roof antenna) and listened to radio via my Tivo. The Denon was a discounted ex-display model. The FM antenna was missing but I didn't mind.

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Either a bent halo design (gain of -3dB, i.e. throws half the signal away) or you live in a difficult reception area?

5. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, it is one of those. A mistake from many years ago. However, I still hoped that being on the roof and hence a lot higher and not surrounded by walls would more than compensate for the poor design. I have considered occasionally replacing it with a better directional antenna. I only ever listen to BBC Radio 3 and 4 so directionality would not be an issue.

However, as mentioned, I have stopped using it. Even if improved, I would not expect it to beat Internet radio so I just don't need it. I am more likely to take it, and the TV antenna, down.