1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need reccomendations for new speakers for PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Advocate, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Advocate

Advocate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Have just taken delivery of my new Creative X Fi Fatal1ty soundcard and had presumed that I would be able to connect it to my Creative Inspire 5700 Digital speakers and get 5.1 sound, sounds like a solid assumption right? Creative soundcard, Creative Speakers, should be a no brainer!#

Unfortunately Creative in their infinite wisdom decided to change the digital out minijack on the X Fi from a 3 pole just digital to a 3 pole digital+mic. This means that this digital jack will now only output 4.1 sound and not 5.1 grrrr!

So I am in the market for a new set of speakers for my PC. I'd ideally like something that can double as a decoder for my dvd player.

Budget isn't too much of an issue here (within reason) but sound quality is. I've been looking at the Logitech Z5500 but tbh was wondering if there wasn't an AV amp I could buy that as well as featuring the necessary digital inputs for DVD etc also had seperate analogue inputs for 5.1 audio (ie front, rear, center/sub).

Anyone have any idea whether there is such an amp (reasonably priced) or whether I'm hoping for the impossible?

Thanks in advance.

Alistair

2. bradleyjonesuk

bradleyjonesuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought some speakers and amp which Ive hooked up to my pc, sony ps2, freeview box and dvd player.

I was loriginally looking at the computer speakers and in particular the Logitech Z5500 but decided to go with some stereo manufactures to better sound and flexibility.I was also recommended by many peolpe to go this way too.

I have Infinity Ts450 speakers(part of the same group as harman Kardon) and a harman kardon avr130 amp. These together make quite a lot of noise !!!

You can buy them as a set from Pixmania for £385.00 which is a very good price. The amp often retails at GBP350 alone and the speakers are great quality too.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/84238/art/harman-kardon/home-cinema-system-with-r.html

I spent a long long time looking through forums / recommendations for amps / speakers and was also on a farily low / tight buget. I looked at Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, Sony etc etc and found HK to be the best amp for around the GBP350 budget.

Personally I am very impressed with HK as they have so many connections available including 3 x optical, 3 x coaxial etc etc and have great sound quality. It also looks very smart too !! Although it is fairly big.They also have an exclusive to HK logic 7 mode aswell which is very good as well as the usual dolby prologic1 & 2, dts etc etc

Brad

3. Advocate

Advocate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply but does this setup have the necessary inputs to get 5.1 sound from my X Fi? The X Fi will not output 5.1 audio through either coax or optical (unless it's an AC3/DD/DTS stream as these are already encoded, the X Fi doesn't encode to any of these).

Thanks again

Alistair

4. bradleyjonesuk

bradleyjonesuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not too sure about that sound card.

I have the creative live 24bit and that has a digital / spidif connection and that is the one I use. I get 5.1 this way with a 3.5mm mini jack and coaxial cable.This is only a cheap soundcard and is about GBP18.00.

5. Advocate

Advocate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I think the digital minijack on the SBLive has the necessary outputs for 5.1 digital whereas the X Fi (£170 bloody quid) doesn't. What I'd need is an amp that has seperate inputs for front, rear and centre/sub. Any chance you could take a picture of the rear of the unit so I could check?

TIA

Alistair

6. bradleyjonesuk

bradleyjonesuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah ill show you a photo next week.

My only worry is that if you are after inputs for front, rear and centre/sub etc you will be using analogue (phono to phono from PC to AMP)and not digital.

Im not 100% of your setup either and to be fair Im no techie !!!

Brad

7. bradleyjonesuk

bradleyjonesuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alistair,

I forgot to take a photo but if you go to www.harmankardon.com you can find the online manual with very good photos and full details of the amp. They do not have my amp manual (AVR130) on there but have the AVR230 which has pretty much exactly the same back setup but is 7.1 rather than 5.1.

i hope this helps

Brad

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hmm...If I was you i'd just get them Creative Gigaworks THX speakers, there analogue and expensive but they would do your X-Fi justice, forget about the amp/decoder combitnation, too much hassle, just get the gigaworks for around £250...the Z-5500 are rock solid, very good, get those if you want a decoder solution to as well as analogue 5.1, bear in mind the creative gigaworks are 7.1, anyway the Z-5500 are pretty much the best out there PC wise, well if you can sand that constan humming noise that comes out of the subwoofer during standby mode, that's the only real problem the z-5500 has, it suffers from interference, the sub is not shielded well, maybe an AC Conditioner might fix it, just make sure you have good electricity, and i'd advise you that when you buy your speakers buy them from a place that will let you retun them if their is a fault, like PC World or a big website, as Logitechs reutrns policy is crap, you really need a good retail return policy...later...

9. Advocate

Advocate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ended up buying a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R amp with Gale 3010 satellites and a Mordaunt Short 309 sub, sounds lovely and does justice to my Xbox 360 as well :)