Need purchase advise on Dolby Atmos in a small room

TJOY

Novice Member
Reaction score
HI All im new here
I wanted to set up an atmos home cinema in my room. As im in UK the main issue i think is the lack of space the room.
My room size is 345 cm * 410 cms. Height : 243 cms.
I already have a 75 inch TV on which i watch the movies.

My question is i am planning to get the Klipsch R-625FA , Klipsch R-34C Centre Speaker & Klipsch R-41M Speakers as rears. Planning to get a Denon AVR-X2700H too.
So is this set up too big for my room. Please Advise
if not what would you suggest. a good set up for me

Last edited:
Hi.

It's extremely difficult to answer/advise you, without a picture or a sketch etc showing TV & seating placement etc
What's the saying: "A pictures worth a thousand words?"

Fwiw - I run a 5.2.4 setup in a similar sized room, so it can be achieved. Posting a picture will help members trying to visualise your room. For example, door & window placement may impact on your speakers placement options etc.

Hope this helps

If you post some photographs, or a diagram, of your room it would make it easier to give some guidance. Going for a Denon X2700 you are limiting your speaker arrangement to a 5.1.2. As a rule of thumb for inceiling speakers then they should be placed above where your knees would be in a seated position at the main listening point (MLP). They should also be in line with the front left and right speaker.

With a low ceiling then the alternative of upfiring modules would work quite possibly just as well. These speakers would have to have a direct line of sight to the ceiling and the ceiling would have to be perfectly flat and made of a reflective material.

It's more than possible to have a 5.1.2 in your room.

B8CBAD48-6EB4-4CF5-BAA9-1D7DDC43EB2F.jpeg
747A3A9F-D41C-4A2D-AA53-A165F86D02A3.jpeg

This is the room hope it helps

Also what do you guys think of Marantz SR6015 Receiver? better than Denon AVR-X2700H?

Please advise

Can you move the main couch opposite to tv more toward the door so that you can do the same for the tv/av-unit as you are so limited with the space at the left side. Then you should look some higher quality bookshelf speakers with speakers stands to get better speakers than the Reference range you wrote. They are not good plus they are overpriced in UK. You also need to wall mount the tv slightly higher so you can place the center channel on top of your av-unit. Floor tv stand is one option, but the lower part would need to go under your av-unit.

Yes the SR6015 is better than X2700H. X3700H would be very similar to that Marantz and 100£ cheaper. Depending how limited you are with budget that can be put toward better speakers or better subwoofer.

What is your max budget for the 5.1 system incl. speakers, sub, receiver, cables?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Can you move the main couch opposite to tv more toward the door so that you can do the same for the tv/av-unit as you are so limited with the space at the left side. Then you should look some higher quality bookshelf speakers with speakers stands to get better speakers than the Reference range you wrote. They are not good plus they are overpriced in UK. You also need to wall mount the tv slightly higher so you can place the center channel on top of your av-unit. Floor tv stand is one option, but the lower part would need to go under your av-unit.

Yes the SR6015 is better than X2700H. X3700H would be very similar to that Marantz and 100£ cheaper. Depending how limited you are with budget that can be put toward better speakers or better subwoofer.

What is your max budget for the 5.1 system incl. speakers, sub, receiver, cables?

Thanks, yes i can shift the couch to accomodate the speakers. BUt im not a fan of wall mounting TV's is there any other way to raise the TV to accomodate the centers.
my max budget is £2500(more that the cost of my TV) :p Yeah i agree they are over priced in UK so
Please suggest some good speakers too

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
BUt im not a fan of wall mounting TV's is there any other way to raise the TV to accomodate the centers.
I was not allowed to mount the TV to the wall so had to look for a solution for a large centre. I had a bespoke bridge made that matched the cabinet. My TV just had a central plinth unlike yours with legs on either end. Moving the TV to the centre of the wall is going to give you an excellent front soundstage. You have more room than me for sure. TV in the image is 65''.

169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

BUt im not a fan of wall mounting TV's is there any other way to raise the TV to accomodate the centers.
Yep there sure is. It's called a TV floor mount stand. Something like this. It sits on the floor behind your existing TV cabinet and the TV mounts to it instead of the wall:

Deal: FITUEYES TV Floor Stand with Tempered Glass Base for 32 to 60 inch Max. Height 48.8” Slim Corner TV Stand with Swivel Bracket Height Adjustable Cantilever TV Stand Easy Assembly (Black) Amazon product ASIN B07RXNQXHJ
Note: 3rd image in on the link above shows gow you'd use it with an existing TV cabinet.

So tricky the back of room to have surrounds at seated ear height close by. Due to atmos you don´t want them much higher than that. Basically means you would wall mount the surround speakers on the rear wall and they should be bipole type to give bit more dispersed sounfield or otherwise it becomes annoying to have speakers shouting directly to ears. Change the finish to see pictures on below link, these are good example now going almost half price:

Can you push the couch forward?

Are you planning to have upfiring (bounce) type atmos speakers or front wall high up below ceiling mounted height channels like below?

0bbae698-1c8c-418a-b13a-383bae1e584a-jpeg.1132051

So tricky the back of room to have surrounds at seated ear height close by. Due to atmos you don´t want them much higher than that. Basically means you would wall mount the surround speakers on the rear wall and they should be bipole type to give bit more dispersed sounfield or otherwise it becomes annoying to have speakers shouting directly to ears. Change the finish to see pictures on below link, these are good example now going almost half price:

Can you push the couch forward?

Are you planning to have upfiring (bounce) type atmos speakers or front wall high up below ceiling mounted height channels like below?

0bbae698-1c8c-418a-b13a-383bae1e584a-jpeg.1132051
What kind of speakers are these ? the monitor audio ones are they for the rear?

yes i could push the couch a bit forward if needed, its already a bit forward as its a recliner so need some space for it.
Being in UK i think most american ones are super expensive to buy so what brand of speakers do you recommend, given the space i have. Do you think i should go for a tower speaker or bookshelfs as the front two speakers?

Polk audio signature series looks priced ok, how are those ones. They have a small center speakers which wouldnt take much space. Or should i look into the likes of Jamo?

What kind of speakers are these ? the monitor audio ones are they for the rear?

yes i could push the couch a bit forward if needed, its already a bit forward as its a recliner so need some space for it.
Being in UK i think most american ones are super expensive to buy so what brand of speakers do you recommend, given the space i have. Do you think i should go for a tower speaker or bookshelfs as the front two speakers?

Polk audio signature series looks priced ok, how are those ones. They have a small center speakers which wouldnt take much space. Or should i look into the likes of Jamo?

They are low depth on-wall speakers for the effect channels and differs in design to normal direct radiating speakers so you get more dispersed soundfield which spreads the sounds more and be less directional due to two tweeters firing both directions. I feel this is important if you going to have speakers close to you which is far from ideal and here the bipole design can help. These are on sale as soon discontinued and normally 499£/pair so great deal! Full specs here:

If you can push the speakers forward 20-30cm then some slimmer floorstanders like Silver 200 would work. So moving the tv/av-unit more to left same as the couch so you can spread the main speakers more apart, but i wouldn´t want to keep the left main speaker directly in corner so push it forward some.

The Polk Signature range is budget range from US. You can get better system for 2500£. Let`s put one example that will be good step up from Polks and you get real wood veneer finish also (walnut, rosenut) or gloss black (cost bit more) or satin white. This would include compact size center channel, however that doesn´t mean you should put it inside the unit. Buy the floor tv stand i linked in post #7, the one without the middle glass base, so it goes behind and under your av-unit and offers height adjustable tv stand. That allows you to place the center channel on top of the unit at front below tv.

1187£ speakers and 1150£ receiver = 2337£. Now if you contact PT and ask them to make you "package deal" from these products you will likely see better pricing. It´s going to be quite tight to get good subwoofer within your budget so this might still be too much. For subwoofer example UK made BK as new grade-b satin black for 440£ shipped. Read the AVForums review for it if intrested.

Or if you want something little better with longer warranty and more modern design then Monoprice 10 THX which is best performing sub in 500£ region.

The way to lower price of speakers to have high quality subwoofers within 2500£ while keeping the better Denon model would be to go with Silver 50 or Silver 100 bookshelf speakers for front mains. However you require speaker stands so roughly 60-100£ for those.

Tell me what you think of these and also tell me can you visit your local store to go listen speakers before buying?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
They are low depth on-wall speakers for the effect channels and differs in design to normal direct radiating speakers so you get more dispersed soundfield which spreads the sounds more and be less directional due to two tweeters firing both directions. I feel this is important if you going to have speakers close to you which is far from ideal and here the bipole design can help. These are on sale as soon discontinued and normally 499£/pair so great deal! Full specs here:

If you can push the speakers forward 20-30cm then some slimmer floorstanders like Silver 200 would work. So moving the tv/av-unit more to left same as the couch so you can spread the main speakers more apart, but i wouldn´t want to keep the left main speaker directly in corner so push it forward some.

The Polk Signature range is budget range from US. You can get better system for 2500£. Let`s put one example that will be good step up from Polks and you get real wood veneer finish also (walnut, rosenut) or gloss black (cost bit more) or satin white. This would include compact size center channel, however that doesn´t mean you should put it inside the unit. Buy the floor tv stand i linked in post #7, the one without the middle glass base, so it goes behind and under your av-unit and offers height adjustable tv stand. That allows you to place the center channel on top of the unit at front below tv.

1187£ speakers and 1150£ receiver = 2337£. Now if you contact PT and ask them to make you "package deal" from these products you will likely see better pricing. It´s going to be quite tight to get good subwoofer within your budget so this might still be too much. For subwoofer example UK made BK as new grade-b satin black for 440£ shipped. Read the AVForums review for it if intrested.

Or if you want something little better with longer warranty and more modern design then Monoprice 10 THX which is best performing sub in 500£ region.

The way to lower price of speakers to have high quality subwoofers within 2500£ while keeping the better Denon model would be to go with Silver 50 or Silver 100 bookshelf speakers for front mains. However you require speaker stands so roughly 60-100£ for those.

Tell me what you think of these and also tell me can you visit your local store to go listen speakers before buying?
Thanks a lot for those suggestions. Yeah after reading few bit, even im inclined to get a good reciever first to build it upon, X3700 is top on that list.
i will defnitely check them out, i have got richer sounds near by let me check i they will be able to set me up with a demo,
One quick question Though, on the from two speakers, given the size of the room should i go for towers or is that a bit over kill? shall i look into bookshelves?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
This stand will allow you to adjust height of TV and the center. There are two versions of the backplate. Long is suitable for Pioneer plasma with bolt holes mid way. Short for TV where the bolt holes are nearer the bottom

I wouldn't go crazy big speakers, something like Kef Q35 size. Certainly not whopping great towers

For the side/rears try demoing bipoles, typically when you're close to the speakers these work better in my experience. Try tripoles.

Also prob

Thanks a lot for those suggestions. Yeah after reading few bit, even im inclined to get a good reciever first to build it upon, X3700 is top on that list.
i will defnitely check them out, i have got richer sounds near by let me check i they will be able to set me up with a demo,
One quick question Though, on the from two speakers, given the size of the room should i go for towers or is that a bit over kill? shall i look into bookshelves?

You can listen Silver 7G 200 at Richer Sounds it`s the latest model, but the 6G won´t be far back and just compare the massive price difference to understand why it´s such a good deal now. You don´t usually get such good speakers for so low prices and when they are sold out then you are out of luck. Some finishes are running low.

You can go with the slimmer towers (S200) in that room, they have small 5,25" drivers and really are very compact when you see them live, but just like with most speakers push them little bit out to the room. It really comes down also do you like the floorstander look more or S50/S100 with stands. Never buy something you are not sure will you like the looks/finish as it can back fire later..

I think @Jester1066 has fairly small room and maybe he could show the picture of room with Silver 100s on stands? There is other member here who has even smaller dedicated cinema room and he has S100 with C350, but i can´t remember he´s name or thread.

I think @Jester1066 has fairly small room and maybe he could show the picture of room with Silver 100s on stands? There is other member here who has even smaller dedicated cinema room and he has S100 with C350, but i can´t remember he´s name or thread.
@TJOY - I only had my Silver 100 6g Bookshelves set up in my room (4.57m long x 3m wide) for a very short period. I've since upgraded them and gone with Silver 300's 6g. I got a great price on the 300's new when the 7g's were released.

Anyway, the Silver 100's in no way dominated the room imo - although they are a little "fatter" than most bookshelf speakers. For the price they are now, they offer phenomenal vfm & that 8 inch bass driver packs a punch but in a lovely controlled manner. So much so, I actually repurposed mine to my bedroom system 🤣

Not ideal positioning (I've since changed the cabinet & layout). But here's a old pic of them - on Atacama Mosseco 6 stands, to give you an idea:

20210820_211403.jpg

Again, an older picture, (Centre speaker is higher now). Here's the replacement 300's in the same room:

received_1035176903910584.jpeg

Hope this helps!

P.S: Both the Silver 300's (and smaller 200's) - although tower speakers are actually thinner in width - cabinet size wise - and similar in depth, compared to the bookshelf 100's. What makes the towers wider (only marginally though) is the 4 outrigger feet at the bottom.

Edit: To give you an idea of size and perspective, my front stage (LCR) is placed on the short 3m wall

Last edited:
@TJOY - I only had my Silver 100 6g Bookshelves set up in my room (4.57m long x 3m wide) for a very short period. I've since upgraded them and gone with Silver 300's 6g. I got a great price on the 300's new when the 7g's were released.

Anyway, the Silver 100's in no way dominated the room imo - although they are a little "fatter" than most bookshelf speakers. For the price they are now, they offer phenomenal vfm & that 8 inch bass driver packs a punch but in a lovely controlled manner. So much so, I actually repurposed mine to my bedroom system 🤣

Not ideal positioning (I've since changed the cabinet & layout). But here's a old pic of them - on Atacama Mosseco 6 stands, to give you an idea:

View attachment 1644353

Again, an older picture, (Centre speaker is higher now). Here's the replacement 300's in the same room:

View attachment 1644354

Hope this helps!

P.S: Both the Silver 300's (and smaller 200's) - although tower speakers are actually thinner in width - cabinet size wise - and similar in depth, compared to the bookshelf 100's. What makes the towers wider (only marginally though) is the 4 outrigger feet at the bottom.

Edit: To give you an idea of size and perspective, my front stage (LCR) is placed on the short 3m wall
wow thanks for the inputs & pictures.

Whats your take on Keff Q550's they retail relatively cheaper,
Keff Q550, Kef Q350, Kef Q 650C & Kef Q50A
What do you think this about this? it will push my budget a bit but sevenoaks giving interest free option so thought why not if they are good

The KEF Q range are going to be a much harder load on the X2700 than the Klipsch because they all have a sensitivity of 87dB compared to the Klipsch having a senstivity of 96dB. Size of your room and listening position may make a difference here.

Are the KEFs better than the Klipschs, well certainly different and they won't be so far forward (bright) as the Klipsch and certainly have a wider dispersion because of their very good UniQ arrays. The Q50a will also give you two possibilities with Atmos placement, either on top of the Q550s or indeed fitted to the front wall high against the ceiling.

What I can say for certain is that KEFs do marry very well with Denon AV amps, I run the old R Series with a Denon and use the R50s for Atmos.

wow thanks for the inputs & pictures.

Whats your take on Keff Q550's they retail relatively cheaper,
Keff Q550, Kef Q350, Kef Q 650C & Kef Q50A
What do you think this about this? it will push my budget a bit but sevenoaks giving interest free option so thought why not if they are good
I demo'd the Q350's as a stereo pair (alongside the MA 100's). I preferred the overall sound signature - and particularly bass extension) of the MA'S. Speaker taste is so subjective though. If possible, can you not do a side by side demo of them in store. I was fortunate enough to be able to then home demo the MA's, which made the decision to go with them over the kefs an easy one for me.

Edit: further to what @gibbsy says: The Monitor Audio speakers mentioned are also an easy drive speaker vs the Kef's.

Whats the difference between MA Bronze range & Silver range, i can see bronze series in all shops but not silver series Do they sound any different? please educated me

Whats the difference between MA Bronze range & Silver range, i can see bronze series in all shops but not silver series Do they sound any different? please educated me

Yes they do sound better as they (Silver) are higher range. Thicker cabinets with real wood veneer finish vs. vinyl wrap (Bronze), drivers are step up C-CAM RST and naturally they can use higher quality audio crossover parts which has been confirmed too. I haven`t heard the latest Bronze which are really good what member has told me (+reviews) and he owns both serie speakers, but the Silver is still good step up as it should be due to higher RRP.. The pricing now is so damn good that you would be crazy not to buy Silver over Bronze if you like the MA sound!! The 7G Silver should be in shops already. However the links i gave you are for 6G generation. There isn`t going to be night and day difference sound wise, but huge difference in price!

Check if you have Richer Sounds, Audio T, Hifix or similar shop that would have the Silver 7G and Kef Q in demo room. Then book demo time and ask that you can listen Q550 and Silver 200 side by side! You can ask them to use X3700H/SR6015 so it will be close to what you will have at home.

Finally went for to hear those speakers, to be honest if i havent heard those in person before purchase i would have made a mistake, When i listened Kef was the most disappointing given its price, Monitor audio was ok but what impressed me was the Dali's.
I have finally ordered the AV reciever Denon X3700H today. i got some used Dali zensor 7, Zensor 3 & Zensor Vokal form a member of this forum. Left the atmost speakers for a later buy.
i need to sort a sub now to match these. I hope i havent gone in the wrong direction.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom