Need PSU Advice

Springveldt

Standard Member
Hi all
I've had a Hiper media centre case for a couple of years now (the one that's only 53mm high) and last night the power supply gave up on me.

Does anyone know were I can get a similar sized PSU, or do I need to buy a new case? With Hiper being no more I can seem to find a replacement PSU anywhere and most of the ones I've looked at are too tall to fit in the case.

Thanks in advance.

the_beast

Get a PicoPSU. There aren't many other options that will fit in the Hiper case (I know because I have one also - lovely little thing, nothing else sits under the TV so unnoticeably).

What hardware are you trying to power?

the_beast

I think hyper only do the M300 PSU now, which may be too big?
That PSU is about 8 times too large... ;)

Bloody nice case though, may have to invest in one of those myself.
Sadly Hiper is no more - so the cases are hard to get. They crop up on eBay every now and again though, but really sell for more than they're worth (often full of crap outdated hardware that noone wants anymore. The PSUs are also junk, and are often faulty.

The case also offers some challenges with hardware - such a small chassis is hard to keep cool and quiet. New 45W cpus and decent HD-capable integrated chipsets make things easier though.

Springveldt

Standard Member
Get a PicoPSU. There aren't many other options that will fit in the Hiper case (I know because I have one also - lovely little thing, nothing else sits under the TV so unnoticeably).

What hardware are you trying to power?
Thanks. I'll try and hunt one of them down. I don't want to give up on this case since it was the only one that passed the Mrs "eyeball test" and it really is whisper quiet.

It's been powering a Gigabyte 780G mainboard, AMD 4050e CPU, 250GB HDD and a slim dvdrw. Nothing else, I run everything of my Windows Home Server machine so the HTPC basically just streams media for the server.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Standard Member
Just thought I would update for anyone else that this happens to.

In the end I went for this psu...

1U PSU 220W 80Plus

It fits inside the case with a little bit of jiggery pokery but it is noisier than the Hyper PSU. I now turn the media centre off at night instead of leaving it in sleep mode. Since it takes around 30 seconds to boot up it's not that big of a deal.

Only downside is that to fit inside the case I had to turn the PSU around so now it blows the air out towards the motherboard instead of out the side. The case to touch is still much cooler that with the Hyper PSU as that thing would have melted the skin off the fingers.

If I need to replace the motherboard, cpu or memory due to overheating I'll let everyone know. :D

the_beast

can you open the psu case without voiding the warranty, and turn both fans round so it exhausts air instead? I fear you're gonna cook something with it throwing air into the case...

TheHipe

Standard Member
Wow, this is such a coincidence. The exact same thing happened to me with my Hiper Media Center case at pretty much the same date as your original posting - I too tried searching everywhere, eBay, Amazon, various hardware resellers, but nowhere sells the original power supply (HPU-2M200) or the M300 anymore.

I started doing a lot of research into alternative small power supplies and the PicoPSU was pretty much top of my list, when I Googled 'picopsu hiper' to see if anyone else had any experience putting the PicoPSU into the Hiper case. This post was top result!

Thanks so much for your recommendation of a working power supply. A few weeks on now, how have you found the new PSU you have put in to work? Based on your experience would you recommend or would you suggest the PicoPSU?

Any chance of any photos of your fitted PSU? Just to see how you managed to squeeze it in there. :smashin:

TheHipe

Standard Member
Hi - just wanted to update anyone else who comes across this thread - the power supply recommended above doesn't fit - it's way too long, especially when the mains cable is connected. Also the 24pin ATX connector is way too short, although this could be resolved by an ATX extension cable, the PSU physically won't fit in the case alongside the standard MSI mainboard that comes with the Hiper Media Chassis.

I'm going to try to exchange it for a 150W PicoPSU. If this works I'll update this thread to let anyone who is interested know.

TheHipe

Standard Member
Hi anyone reading. Just to let you know - I bought and fitted the PicoPSU - 150W version. It works perfectly, and so quiet!

I've read other threads about the fan on the transformer kicking in and being loud at over 90W but I haven't encountered this problem.

The only other thing you will need with the PicoPSU is a molex extension cable to link to the front LCD panel and an additional cable to add a floppy power connector which is used by the internal laptop DVD-RW drive.

Peak output power with a standard PSU of the Hiper unit (using the stock AMD 3800+ CPU and a PCI TV card) was 136W. Not sure what this is with the PicoPSU as haven't measured it yet, but its likely to be lower with the PicoPSU having higher efficiency.

Hope this information helps someone else out there! :)