Quantcast

Need power amp suggestions for atmos speakers

UKMach

Standard Member
Hi all,

Looking for some for some ideas of power amps for atmos speakers.

Current setup:

Anthem MRX720
Monitor Audio GX 5.2 setup
Dune HD 4k Max media streamer with NAS

For atmos speakers Im looking at Monitor audio C265-idc to stay sonically similar with rest of speakers

C265-IDC | In-Ceiling Speakers | Monitor Audio

I dont know what to use for the power amp as the MXR720 only has preouts for height speakers.

My room is of a size that I think I will only need a 5.2.2 setup although would like to future proof for a 5.2.4 setup years from now but will need to have a second power amp for this.

Power amps just for atmos from Anthem are way too expensive and the only idea ive had is Emotiva BASX-A300 2-Channel which could get from ebay for about £400.

A-300

Any suggestions of other options for power amps would be appreicated, max price range £400-£500

Thanks Darren

gav_sw20

I’d keep an eye out on eBay or classifieds for the BASX A500. Ironically one finished on eBay last night for just over £400!

I’ve just added the A700 into my setup and it’s well worth the money, if a little over budget for you.

The plan was to use it for .2 Atmos duties but I’m using it for 5 of my 7. base-layer speakers along with .2 Atmos. My remaining 2 base-layers are run off the AVR.

Was very very impressed with Black Hawk Down last night.

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
I also have an Anthem MRX720 and 4 x MA C265-IDCs for Atmos duties, which are driven superbly by an Emotiva BASX-A500.

Picked up a used one from a dealer with some warranty for under £500.

UKMach

Standard Member
Thank you all for your replies, I was thinking about it further last night and to future proof it would be a A500. I will look further into your suggestions Rambles. Adam-burnley I get the feeling that you must be happy with your setup and im on the right track with the MA C265-IDCS? Your cinema room looks fantastic, is it finished yet?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Adam-burnley I get the feeling that you must be happy with your setup and im on the right track with the MA C265-IDCS? Your cinema room looks fantastic, is it finished yet?
Thank you, and yes I'm really happy with the setup. Everything works really well together.

No not 100% finished, but mainly cosmetic stuff. Doesn't detract from the enjoyment of watching movies though, and we've spent many hours in the room since the kit was setup backend of February. I will get around to finishing it though in the near future!

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We use a Marantz MM8077 power amp with an Anthem AVM60 in our showroom media system. We opted for this amp to keep costs down for clients and it works extremely well. It will be staying in our rack for the foreseeable future.

A great amp and good value at £1500.

[email protected]

Last edited:

DodgeTheViper

We use a Marantz 8807 power amp with an Anthem AVM60 in our showroom media system. We opted for this amp to keep costs down for clients and it works extremely well. It will be staying in our rack for the foreseeable future.

A great amp and good value at £1500.

[email protected]
Would that be the MM8077 ;)

It’s probably really good for less demanding speakers and loads.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Would that be the MM8077 ;)

It’s probably really good for less demanding speakers and loads.
Thanks Kev. Exactly what I meant.:)
It runs our 150 system with ease.

DodgeTheViper

I like the fact that your showing a less esoteric product :smashin:

Leelo

Hmm, I've not tried. Maybe you could use it to switch on / off a power strip and have all the amps plugged into that?
That’s exactly what I’ve done. My rack of Delta 290p are all plugged into a power strip which has had the plug replaced with an IEC female plug and the is powered by the Audiophonics widget all works brilliant triggered by my Yamaha 3070 when it’s powered on by my TV which switches on when I start the Sky Q box up

Thanks to @Rambles for discovering this brilliant bit of kit and sharing it with us

Trending threads

Top Bottom