1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need photo editing package to export to DVD & web!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Paul22888, May 8, 2005.

1. Paul22888

Paul22888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can help me find what I need asap. I need a photo-editing package that is ideally based on a storyboard editing platform, with audio editing too (import mp3 & .wav). I need good (at least basic range of ) transition effects (at least crossfade, dissolve, burn, zoom in/out).

Thing is, program has to export to both DVD and web - ideally a range of export options here, such as .avi & .mov). I may have to get onto the Flash learning curve. If I do, then I'd appreciate any comments/experience with this. Otherwise any other ideas please?

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Sounds like any video editing package would fit the bill. Considering you are asking I assume you have no previous experience, right?

If you don't already have Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, I would recommend the bundled version with Adobe Premiere Elements. The integrated just can't be matched by any other product in my opinion.

Alternatively perhaps something like Pinnacle Studio 9 will fit your needs...Or if you want more choice Ulead MediaStudio Pro...

Personally I use Sony MediaPicture Software Vegas plus DVD Architect, but that may be a bit overwhelming...Also the Adobe products forementioned are £99 and Vegas+DVD is £499....And you are a lot quicker with the Adobe products....

3. Paul22888

Paul22888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this Jean-Paul. I am actually testing Vegas at the moment. Not sure its ideal either. Storyboard editing would be better than timeline in this case for me. For speed and ease of use I find Nero Vision Express is pretty much ideal for what I need. Except it doesn't allow export to a common file format for website use such as .avi or .mov. Basically the full motion video editing packages are a bit top heavy for my purpose.

From what I've seen, its not correct to say that most video editing packages do fit the bill. Not at all, for one reason or another, either to do with speed, awkwardness, transition effects, tied in presentation themes or export limitations.

It seems to be a photo editing package is what I need, that has good if not sophisticated transition effects, while also allowing export to DVD and web. I find it difficult to understand why its not easy to find a solution. Maybe I'm just asking too much from one single solution, but there is a need for such a solution. The perfect one I haven't found yet. All the signs and advice I'm getting is Flash oriented.

Premier I'm familiar with, but again its not ideal. Must admit I haven't tried the Adobe Elements, which I'll take a look at as you've prompted me. Cheers.

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Hi Paul,

I think it may have to do with not fully understanding the power of a product like Vegas. The bit I especially like is that it's themes for DVD are fully XML compliant, so if you understand XLT/XML and built webpages you can make a seriously complete and totally personalised theme yourself.

Microsoft Movie and Pinnacle 9 Studio allow for storyboard editing I think. Alternatively if you don't mind a non-integrated solution you may want to give Microsoft PhotoStory a go and burn the generated movie to DVD using something like Nero which you seem to have already...

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Oops forgot to mentioned, the storyboard editing or photo slide-show part of Sony's Vegas+DVD is actually not in Vegas but in DVD Architect. I forgot as I tend to prefer NLE....

6. Paul22888

Paul22888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft Movie I ruled out after testing it. Pinnacle I have to recall as I think I may have looked at it. Interesting comment on the XML/XLT. I'll look into it again. Web production I have not done myself stupidly yet, but am just about to. Many thanks again for your tips.