Need parts for my cabinet


Established Member
Jul 9, 2002
Reaction score
I'm currently building some cabinets for my HC equipment. What I'm looking for is some adjustable runners for shelving. I've only ever seen them on the TV.

You made a dado inside your cabinet for them so they are flush, and you just put a clip in for the height of the shelf you want. I will be using glass shelves.

Not sure exactly what they are called. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where I could get them? I think they are made off brass.


Screwfix Direct refer to it as 'Book Case Strip'. Very reasonable at £19.99 for 10x1828mm strips, and £1.29 for 10xsupport clips.

If you spend more than £45 delivery is free, but below this it is £4 extra for delivery.

I have placed several orders with them, and would thoroughly recommend them to anyone, although I have never tried their online service which is

BTW, if you're using glass shelves, I would suggest adding self adhesive rubber pads to the support clips.

Hope this helps (and no, I don't work for Screwfix).


PS. I may be inviting a load of grief here, but you're not a fellow New Yankee Workshop fan are you ?

PPS. Just noticed that you are in Ireland. Not sure whether Screwfix deliver over there, but in any case, hope that the 'Book Case Strip' reference is useful. I know someone who got some from Jewsons, but it wasn't brass.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately screwfix don't deliver to Ireland. I'll try B&Q at the weekend. At least I know what I'm asking for.

Bit of a New Yankee fan. Norm is pretty much a genius at times. Everytime I see it, I get loads of new ideas.
It's good to find someone else who can appreciate the quality of Norm's handy work, although I think a vast workshop and £loads worth of power tools also make a big contribution.

Good luck with it, and may the Norm be with you !

Norm is one of my heros too . He is cool

I know he has a shed load of tools but he does'nt need em . He can do great things without . I used to love this old house. He used to do some cool stuff to get them houses back into shape .
.... and remember, there is no more important safety rule than the wear these ... [taps glasses] ... safety glasses !
Good news is that a friend in Northern Ireland is going to order them for me and Norm was using this exact hardware tonight. Picked up a few more tips ;)
This type of shelf support system is called tonk strip and the flush type that you mention should be availible from a good architectual ironmongers shop.

Good luck Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Lyngdorf MXA 8400 - Premium Power Amp Review Teaser #homecinema #poweramplifier #hometheater
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Top Bottom