Need opinions for first gaming rig :)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by King0fGamez, Feb 14, 2014.

1. King0fGamez

King0fGamez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Approximate Purchase Date: To have all the parts by 3rd March
    Budget Range: Under £1000
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
    Overclocking: Not straight away, Maybe after a year or so
    SLI or Crossfire: Maybe SLI when the card becomes outdated
    Monitor Resolution: Using my 1080i television

Essentially I want to build my first gaming rig as I don't want to spend £400 on an Xbox One and then roughly £50 for a game after that, I believe PC gaming will save me money in the long run and will also have a superior gaming experience.

I have done quite a lot of research into what I want to get and where from etc however at the end of the day I'm still a n00b.

Here is a list accompanied with links of what I have put together so far:

#############################################

Case: Aerocool X-Predator X3 Red Devil Edition £80

CPU: Intel i5-4670k £175

Motherboard: MSI Z87 GD65-Gaming £135

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC £250

Memory: Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 8GB (2x4GB) £75

SSD(OS): Kingston 60GB SSD £40

HDD(Data): Western Digital 1TB Green £45

PSU: Corsair 600W Builder Seires £50

Case Cooling: 2x Corsair Air Series 120mm £15

CPU Cooling: ?

Operation System: Windows 8.1 Pro £50

#############################################

As you can see I've done a fair bit of research, What I'm looking to gain from this post is some opinions. Anything you would change? Anything you would add? Seen prices better elsewhere? Also I've seen very mixed reviews on the case and am having second thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

2. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Probably best to post this in the PC Gaming section. See this sticky in the gaming section for further advice. Spec me a gaming pc... updated 11/02/14 | AVForums There are plenty of very knowledgeable people who will be happy to answer any questions.

Just to get the ball rolling: Your chosen SSD is too small, 240/250GB SSDs are now considered the minimum size to go for and can be had for less than £100 these days (if you look around). Don't get me wrong your spec will work but it gives you very little headroom. Personally I would up your HDD to at least 2TB as well for £70 or 3TB for £90.

If you are planning to OC and SLI in the future you should go for at least a 750w PSU and preferably a 850 - 1000w, which would be more future proof.

CPU, GPU and motherboard are good to go. Cooler depends on the case and how much you want to spend.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    PCs don't output interlaced pictures, what's the highest progressive signal your TV will accept (or it's native resolution)?

If you're going for a full tower than the case is really personal preference, cooling won't be an issue at that size for the system you're after and the only thing that might be a problem mechanically is the noise of any included fans.

If you're after value for money I'd be dubious about the benefits of paying extra for all the clobber needed for overclocking and SLI. They're great if you're trying to make a high end system but performance gets cheaper over time so it can be better to wait until you need it before buying.

The western digital green line is great if you're trying to build a silent system but I'd swap it for a 7200rpm model on a non-silent gaming machine.

4. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Sorry @EndlessWaves but if you are using a SSD for a OS and your most commonly used games then a faster 7200rpm HDD for data is pointless. They are generally more expensive, less power efficient and noisier.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    99p more from the same place he's linked to the WD Green.

One or two watts more and quiet rather than silent. They're important concerns if you're trying to build a tiny, 60W system but completely unnoticeable besides an overclocked i5 and GTX 770.

While it makes less of an impact when you're using an SSD for non-games programs you will still be using it and there seems no good reason to give up the performance for the sake of saving 99p.

6. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Again a valid point because of the minimal price difference. Although greens are designed to have a higher MTBF rate because the components are less stressed.

Thanks for putting me right on this though it's amazing how much HDD price have dropped compared to even 6 months ago. :thumbsup:

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    It's more likely to have been a promotion, or perhaps the tail end of the hard drive motor factory disaster. Speaking generally 7,200rpm drives haven't carried any significant premium for years, I guess it must have been a decade since conventional 5,400rpm drives went extinct in 3.5" format (western digital later revived them for the ultra-quiet market).

There are other factors involved than just RPM so all you can tell from a single sample is that they can be noisy, not that they're all noisy. For example, see SilentPCReview's test of the 3TB version of the Seagate on sale at dabs for £42.99:
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB: 1TB Platter Behemoth | silentpcreview.com

8. Lewis Bennett

Lewis Bennett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep I would recommend getting a latger SSD. Pick up a 256gb one for about £90. This will give you enough space for your OS and most of your games. I recommend the Crucial M4 or the newer Samsung SSD's.

The rest of your system looks good. I would probably opt for a dedicated PC monitor though. In my experience TV's don't reproduce colours very accurately.

All the best!

9. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't really see the point of the 60GB sdd either. You will spend all your time emptying it even with it just running the os. 250GB disks are better value GB/£ and have much better performance too. Do you need to spend £135 on the motherboard? Won't a GTX 760 pretty much cover you for 1080 gaming for nearly £60 less?

I am going through the same process myself at the moment. I think I want to wait to see what difference broadwell and maxwell are going to make before I make the plunge, so I am making smaller upgrades to my current system in the meantime.

10. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Depends on games and settings, 760 is a great card for 1080P, but if he's often playing very demanding games and applying lots of AA etc, the 770 won't be wasted. Really depends how much FPS you're after in these sort of games etc. He has gone for a K series CPU, so I'd look to get a motherboard that has good over clocking capabilities as well as the features you want (at whatever price range suites), I certainly wouldn't skimp on the motherboard though, not if you're planning on over clocking.

11. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes OP has chosen a K series CPU but only says that he might overclock in a year or so, not a very firm intention. I guess buying a K series CPU leaves that possibility open but for a 1080 screen paired with a GTX 770 what real-world benefit is there in overclocking when the main use for the system is going to be gaming. A stock i5 CPU isn't going to be a bottleneck for the vast number of games since the 770 will hit 60 fps on very high settings most of the time.

I can definitely see your point on the GPU and benchmarks show a decent performance jump for the 770 for not much extra cost. I am dubious that having an overclocking CPU is going to make much difference. I guess the one thing is it might extend the lifespan of the system as you can overclock to keep up with new tech in a couple of years. You are probably better off selling 2nd hand and upgrading though, especially with the changes on the horizon.

Better to save £70 off processor and mb and get a 250GB ssd and keep within the same budget. Just my opinion.

12. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Yeah, performance gets ever cheaper so it doesn't make much sense to spend the money now for performance you won't be needing until the state of the art is two or three times as fast unless it's really cheap.