1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need new telly and some advice.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lux, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK I looked around some shops today and I found a few Sony like the KV32FX68
    and....

do I even dare...

the Philips 32PW9527
    with pixelplus

I got so excited about it, really. I think I even convinced my parents. but after reading that thread about P+. I am really worried. now I saw thepixelplus next to regular TV and it just looks better.

I would use it only for DVD and some TV (news mostly) the rest of the family will watch general crap on TV but Football will not be watched very much so the problems with Philips and football don't interest me that much.

Can anyone give any more comments. To be honest the view on that thread are balanced with some people having probs and others not. and It looks like most have problems with earlier models (9308)
    I'll just go back to the shop and ask about their returns policy.
    if not I'll save myself 400€ and go for the sony.

But I have seen the two in comparison (for braodcast TV at least) and the P+ is just better.
    anyway thanks for any advice.
    cheers

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As you'll see by searching through my previous post, I'm a very happy Pixel+ owner. I have a 32" 9617.

Just for you to know, most problems were with the 9527 model.

The 9308 and the 9618 are the newest Pixel+ models and I can highly reccomend the 9618 as the direct succesor to my set.

Good luck with the purchase ;)

3. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    strange. see te salesman has told me that there were some problems with the 9617. buit there are no with the 9527 (at least not more than with any other set)
    Dou you think there might be a difference between UK and mainland europe sets??
    I have yet to hear from a single case of blackbars on mainland europe:confused:

The biggest problem is that I'm trying to convince my parents to shell out a grand and then reading stuff like this:(
    But I know exactly that if I go for the sony that I will have problems too only in that case the set will be 250quid cheaper.

going through the thread again it actually seems like most problems come from the 9617.
    whereas carl B's 9527 is fine. and like savage said:
    So I'm really stuck here. the pixelplus picture is great but my parents gonna kill me if there is a fault within a month.

And somehow I can't believe that philips are really selling stuff where two thirds are faulty...then again you never know.

OK I checked the catalogue again and I can only get the 36PW9767 (too big) and the 32PW9617 and 32PW9527 with pixelplus in Luxembourg. they don't sell 9308 at least they are no in the 2002-2003 catalogue and they are not int he shops either. actually the 9308 seems to be available after all and there is also some 9528:confused:
    this is getting very confusing:(

BTW onyl the 9527 is available now all the others ahev a waiting list and it will take 2 weeks by that time I'm back at uni.

4. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    unlike rc who was one of the lucky ones (git) :)
    I had 4 bad philips, I got the latest fix now, but Im still not happy with the tv, no bars but the pictures not as good as it could be, I havent seen the latest p+ models to see if they have got it any better, films with P+ look a bit to much like a documentry,
    sharp yes, but not like the movie experience, sound is great, the sound of the base is very good for a TV, its just that once you have had that bad taste in your mouth of all the problems alot of us had, or still have, you kind of never want to see another philips again LOL
    I would see what the stores return for stuff is like before you shell out the cash,
    P.S my Tv was a 32" 9617, I also had 2 36" before I dropped down to the 32.

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well as long as I have no problems wit the set I won't have any bad taste just the fear it might break..which I have with every equipment.

return might be difficult. but I have a 2year on site warranty extendable to 7 years.

looks to me like none of the big companies can make TV that everyone is happy with :(
    did you have black bars on the previous three then?

6. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    in fact I have had 6 sets, 2 36" and 4 32" I am on the 4th now,
    yes I had bars on all of then as well as the white bar on 3, bad pixelation, dirty patches on screen which the philips was also known for, they may have sorted it all out by now, or like rc, you could have been lucky and got a good one, you said you have read the p= thread, then you only need to see the Poll that was done, its at the top of the thread, to see the amount of people that had trouble, then look at how many people got it fixed.
    like I said philips may have got it sorted by now, ht e bars wernt only on the philips sets, they were on other makes as well, why did I still go for another set after mabe the 3rd ....well I think the set has a lot going for it IF you can get a good one, but thats was the big problem...GETTING a good one.

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    U-TURN!!!

:-( I have decided that due to the bad comments and the rather high price of 1750€ the Philips pixelplus was not appropraite as a TV for my parents home (where I wil stay only for 2 more years or so anyway)
    Fact of the matter is that I don't want to convince them to shell outthat much cash for a TV with that many known problems.

So I have changed my options. as it stands now I will either go for
    Philips 32PW8807
    Sony KV32FX68

and maybe KV32FQ80 if I can find one of them here

there may also be a sony **FX66 but I think that one won't change that much compared to its successor **FX68

These TV will all come around 500€ cheaper to my and my parents delight and do not feature what seems to me a inmature technology.
    So please could you comment on the above TVs. I've had philips before but wouldn't mind going for a sony. I'll go to the shop today with a few DVDs and test them.

any known problems with the above sets?

I know that some SOny have the buzzing problem but that seems to be a rather easily solved problem.

cheers ;-)

PS I went to the shop today and tried a few DVDs (LOTR FOTR, Bugs life)
    Sony has a sharper picture whereas the Philips is softer.
    But the LOTR looked a slighty greenish for the mines of moria but the Sony was too much contrast and too sharp. the philips to me kept an overall smoother picture with more filmlike attributes . the Sony looked to plastic for faces as well. this may all be corrected my playing wit the settings as is the green tint
    For bugs life they all looked the same though and there is no significant distortion on 4:3 modes. overall the Philips has less overscan as well.

The philips is 100€ cheaper, and can be delivered on saturday. the sony won't be availabnle til 29/09 by which time I'm abck at uni and then it would be xmas. but by then there will be 20more models to chose from and the whole stress starts again.

So I hink we'll be going for philips. not having had any bad experience yet with them I think we'll be fine. and at the end of the day once the TV is in our living room, I don't think anyone will notice that the Sony looked a bit sharper as you won't compare it.
    so thanks for the help everyone.
    ta ;)

8. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK got my new telly today..Philips 32PW8807
    looks absolutely great. great picture and at last widescreen but there are two problems:

1) the geometry is not right. it is only a small problem but the right side of the screen is slightly distorted. this can be easily proven by a setupdisc. That problem is not too bad though.

2) biggest problem: black bars :-| I have heard about it on some sets (esp pixelplus) but I have it too. 2 vertical black bars one on each side of the screen. they are mostly visible when the screen is just one colour. (like the opening on LOTR FOTR when galandrial talks. It can be reduced by reducing the brightness but it is still visible at times.

Now I'm going through some more testing and watching films to see if it is ignorable. if not I have 10 days to get a brand new set..
    Thinking about it that option is the best although I knopw that it will be from the same batch and have the same fault and maybe even more:(.
    isn't that easy after all

PS I also posted this in the pixelplus thread ;)