1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need New Speaks to match AVR300 & DV79

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by atm495, Dec 13, 2004.

1. atm495

atm495

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, new to the board (and to hifi really), spent a bunch of time looking at posts but didn't come across an answer, perhaps you would help.

I've been speaker hunting but ended up with a new system instead, my arcam set up. sounded so good with various speakers i took the system; a much easier decision that sfinding the right speakers. :)

Interested in hearing about the AE1 MK3 among others. Auditioned the JM Labs Electra 609, DeVore Gibbon 7.1, and Totem Acoustics Rainmaker. The DeVore won out so far but the search is not over. What I liked about the DeVore was its disappearing act, and its rich and real reproduction- seeking similar. Considering PMC, KEF XQ and Canton Karat but have not listened (PMC I've only read about recently but piqueing my interest).

Looking for a diminutive speaker that still delivers the goods while appeasing my lust for quality, clarity, transparency, musicality, and as reasonable amount of base as possible in a stand speaker.

Couple of details - my listening room is bright, can't be helped all that much, hard wood floors, plaster walls, area rug, a large couch - not a big room, 5m X 3m x 2.5m, windows at one end, open at the other to adjacent room (like I said, acoustically uncooperative). Plan to add some diffusers and play with speaker placement to help out, play 70% music / 30% movies, not doing home theatre, but I will mutil zone

Listening - rock, dance, jazz, lounge, classical, spoken word - everything and looking forward to expanding my collection greatly. Also I'll use these with the video, not setting up surround at this time.

I am looking forward to hearing the AE1 MK3's, but would like some feedback. If they are not appropriate for the room I'll save myself the extra expense.

Thanks for reading!

Jason

System: Arcam AVR300, Arcam DV79, no speakers yet.

2. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Look at the small speakers in the Dynaudio contour and confidence ranges. Look also at the replacement for B&W's 805, due on Jan 15th.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The AE1 MK3's are wonderful speakers, if I had £2k I'd buy them in a flash. They are probably the most transparent standmounts I have ever heard. But to get the best out of them you'd need a decent cd player, amp etc.

What's your total budget?

4. atm495

atm495

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tejstar/pat - thanks!

I will Check out the Dynadio lines and B&W, very interested to hear the new 805's.

My budget for speakers is tentatively $4K ceiling, but that is set by the MK3's, not considering any other pairs over $3K at the moment. In fact, because I plan to dual zone, I may go with a $1K pair (Totem Rainmakers) and then move those to the second room and continue the search for a more more perfect fit for the listening room.

Your comment about the source is well taken. My budget for the source is spent - Arcam DV79. I listened instore to their CD only models, and made a slight compromise for the dual purpose DV79. Did not test on speakers above the $3K level though. If the MKIII's require a better source that will be at least a year off. :( Your thoughts? If I'm not going to get $4K out of them, I can hardly justify the spend (who could!).

Planning on listening to them this week.

Thanks again!

Jason

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Jason - If your planning on listening to them again this week I really would do a comparison between the Arcam DV79 and a dedicated cd player (maybe Arcam CD73T?)

If your spending that much on speakers, imo you wouldn't be doing them an injustice by using a dvd player as a source for cd playback - even though the Arcam is very good.

6. atm495

atm495

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the guidance. i'll do the comparison.

have a great holiday!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You too, oh and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    PMC TB2's would certainly be worth a listen. Not too sure how well they would match Arcam equipment though. All in all a nice looking high performing neutral speaker.

9. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I've got PMC GB1s with an Arcam AVR200, and love the sound!

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are very lucky. At the big annual hifi and home cinema show held last February, three of us that did the rounds together picked the Rainmakers as the best speakers in the show, bearing in mind that show conditions are never ideal for listening. Unfortunately they cost much more than $1,000 per pair over here otherwise I would have bought some by now.

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ian,

I know a friendly dealer in Toronto who, with a little arm twisting, was kind enough to ship me a pair of Arros for less than half the UK list price. Drop me a PM if you want details.

Cheers, Carl.

12. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I am off to Sevenoaks (Peterborough) next week to hear a seven channel Kef Reference system hooked up to Arcam P1 monos & an Av8 processor. The sales guy Chris,says that the Arcam/Kef system is a fantastic match so you could do well to check out the XQ`s or even the 201`s (also stunning looking if you like contempory style).I will report back after the demonstration.

Regards Dan

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Sounds look an awesome combo - looking forward to your comments :)