1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new speakers for new 7.1 av receiver Tomorrow morning!!! Please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nero0410, Dec 27, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Hi,

Please help and advise me yet again (cos I need to get this stuff tomorrow as my sisters are paying for it all for me, woohoo!)

I need to get another pair of speakers for my SONY STR DE697 AV Receiver

I have a Mission 77c front centre
    mission 772 main (front L R)

and

mordaunt short msb 20 bi pole (rears)

Should I just get a rear centre?? for a rear back channel
    OR
    Two rear centre's (2 centre speakers for the rear) for the rear back channels
    OR
    A pair of stand mount speakers for the two rear back channels
    OR
    Another pair of bi pole surrounds for the rear back channels (which I would have thought would be best, but I'm not too sure)

What option would be and or sound the best??

I have a few 6.1 channel dvd's (and know that 7.1 doesnt exist properly yet)

Should it also be time to add an active sub to complete the speaker setup??

Please help and advise me as I am planning on getting all the stuff to complete my set up tomorrow morning from richer sounds

Cheers :smashin:

tris

2. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    okay general advice is that for 6.1/7.1 is that 7.1 is better than 6.1 as with only 1 channel directly behind you it is very difficult for your brain to distinguish between the front and back centre. However 7.1 only really works if the two rear speakers are at about a 30 degree arc or so i believe (ie not right next to each other, but more spaced out giving a stereo rear image.) This allows your brain to distinguish between the rear back channels and the centre. I would also recommend if you have bipole rears then go for monopole rear channels.

Only running 5.1 myself and this is information i have read in many previous 6.1 vs 7.1 threads. Hope you get everything sorted, try and demo if you can to see if you can tell the difference

"wow this was my 100th post" :D

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Congratulations on your 100th post, I never really notice mine :)

Thank you for your advice. I guess having monopole speakers may make sense, although I would have thought bi pole would create a greater rear sound stage. Hmmmm........

Everyone please keep it coming until 9am please, as I'm off out to get them in the morning and I need to make a good decision.

Unfortunately although they have the facilities the shops that I go to dont demo for me, thats why I try to make a decision before I go.

EDIT: Any particular make of rear back speaker that would be tonally balanced by my others would help too, around the £80-100 mark (I usually shop at richer sounds which is where I'll be going tomorrow, which could give you a basic idea of what is in that price range)

Cheers

tris

4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Any more help/advise?? Keep it coming please :)

thanks

tris

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not sure what the implications of havng Bi-pole rears are when it comes to adding 6 or 6 & 7 channel see www.dolby.com for some help and MS website....Also would a better DVD player be a better way to spend the upgrade money? OR a SUB?

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Already looked at the dolby site and the ms site they dont really say what I need to know.

A step ahead , Need advice on a new dvd player in over on my thread in the dvd player part of these forums, please feel free to take a look and advise there again before 9am and was just about to ask for advise on a sub too as well as the rear back

Thanks very much

Need more information and advice before 9am please. g'night

cheers

tris

7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Ok then guys, thanks for all the advise.

I'll let you know what I have gone for when I get back later.

I'll try to get richer sounds to demo some speakers for me and go from there.

Thanks again

tris

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Looking forward to your findings :thumbsup:

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Where did you get that from? :confused:

10. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    read it many moons ago on the forum, when the 6.1 vs 7.1 argument was first introduced. seemed to follow common sense at the time, that with one speaker directly behind you and a speaker in front of you equal distance that the location of the sound can appear very similar where as a stereo rear image is more distinguishable. shall have a search for the post in the archive and see if i can find it

Have never tried it myself as i said earlier, but seemed to make sense. What do you reckon?

11. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Doesn't sound logical to me, if a speaker's behind you how you'd ever confuse it with the front centre, where the signal being output is completely different, is a mystery to me:confused:

12. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    okay your starting to make me doubt myself here but from what i remember even though the signal is completly different when there is sound coming from the rear centre and the centre channel they can sound like they are from a similar position. Somebody reported the sound differentiation was improved when following the dolby recomendations of having the rear centre elevated and firing downwards.

The only way i can think about explaining it is through relating it to dopler effect although im not sure its completly fair. As a police car is further away from you the siren sounds longer and further apart but as it gets closer to you the sirens gets closer together. However as the police car passes you you notice the sound that siren makes sounds very similar as when it was the same distance behind you. Am i making sense

13. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Doppler Effect explaination doesn't really work. The reason is because human hearings primary method of determining where a sound is from relys on phasing which can't distinguish between something ahead of you and something behind you. However the shape of the ear lobes allow you to do this pretty well. I don't personally think its a major issue.

However I'd advise 7.1 over 6.1 because then you can use EX/ES decoding on ye olde 5.1 films without having to worry so much about erroneous monoisation of some surround effects. Definitely go for 7.1 if you are sitting close to the back of the room and sometimes a off to one side.

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Ok, what'd I miss :rolleyes: :)

Any way, I got a gale storm 8 80w active sub to add to my set up (plenty powerful enough for me, sounds quite good anyway) and finally added a sub to my setup.£60

As for the rear back L&R for 7.1, I just got and added a pair of 'wharfedale diamond 8.1's' 100w a piece to match the rest of my speakers. IMHO I think they do the job in hand pretty well, quite punchy and very accurate on sale for £89.99

Thanks for all your help

Cheers tris

I got a new dvd player too at a bargain price, check out my thread on the dvd section of the dvd forum

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Ok then, I need to change these already. Luckly when I got home I checked the ohmage of these puppies (they are 6ohms) and the amp I have has to have 8-16ohms speakers (no impedence selector switch like my old yammy)

Have to tell you what I got later : sob :

tris

16. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Panic over, I got some wharfedale rubiance rb-25 floorstanders.

They have great clear sound and rather punchy bass, I now use them for my main speakers and my mission 772's for the rear back L&R

Quite a varied combination on the sony str-de697, but seems to work quite nicely and gives out a good solid effect for all types of surround.

tris