Need new speakers for 3-400

kopite

Standard Member
Reaction score
RIght at the mom I am about to sell my front speakers.

Thing is it means I am gonna have to buy some new ones.

At the moment my set up is as follows

Yamaha dsp ax 630 amp/receiver

Arcam cd 72t cd player

Sony mds jb 980 md player

Dennon tu 260lII Tuner

My budget is about 300 although I could stretch to 400 if the difference is worth it.

I will be buying a new amp soon but the offer I`ve had for my front speakers is too good to pass up.

I've just picked up a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis3's for £250 form HiSpek and I think there a real bargain. Some places are still selling for £300+.

yeah definately outstanding.
If it's bookshelves your after Monitor audio S1 are well worth a listen.

Had a listen to the ae yesterday and they are really nice :d

Went to another shop and was reccomended jm labs 710`s

At the moment i`m thinking that I`ll demo

the ae 3`s b and w 603`s quad 11L`s.

What are the kef eggs like? also what is the model number of them(I hear ppl talking about kef eggs but havent got a clue what they are :D)

Originally posted by kopite
What are the kef eggs like? also what is the model number of them(I hear ppl talking about kef eggs but havent got a clue what they are :D)

They are small descrete speakers used mainly for a hc set up. Not as good for music as larger standmount/floorstanding speakers imo. Model no id KEF KHT2005.2

Attachments

• kht2005smallb.jpg
    kht2005smallb.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 186
Right although this is dragging up an old thread I want a bit more advice.

Been reading some other posts and peeps are saying That bookshelf speakers are better sounding that floorstanders at the budget I have. So my question is what should I look at for my audition.

I can get the money togehter pretty easy at the mom to buy these

Not thinking about a subwoofer at the mom although may consider one.

The walls are pretty thick in the house so naieghbours getting annoyed isnt a prob. more of a prob is the family getting annoyed

have you any preference as to standmounts or floorstanders??

I have no real preference.

I was looking at the aegis evo`s but after reading someother posts saying that book shelf speakers are better than the floorstanders I wanna know whats my best option

If you're considering standmounts *swallows pride, prepares to recommend another manufacturer* you should consider the Epos M5 as it poo's all over the Quad 11L in the opinion of this company and it is beautifully finished as well.

my limit would be 400 quid.

no as far as I can see in that range bookshelfs would be the quad 11L`s or b and w 602`s whilst in floorstanders the aegis evo`s are cheaper.

what would you guys reccomend Demoing then?

NO I think all of us would INSIST that you demo them :lesson:
I have just bought the evo 3's, just waiting for them to arrive :( Demo'd them playing LOTR:The 2 Towers and they where excellant :D

Dfour I know I`m gonna demo the speakers first what I asked was what speakers would you reccomend demoing.

I was thinking 603`s evo 3`s and quad 11L`s anything else to add to the list?

As I said above, the Epos M5 is IMO opinion superior to the 11L and £20 cheaper. It has picked up some excellent reviews of late and has to be worth at least a look.

They arrived in the building at the behest of the Cambridge Audio engineers who will be pairing their 640 bits with them in a WHF system test. We nabbed them for a brief test against our 906- which it outscored in the WHF test :)( ) and they were very impressive indeed. I have never been hugely keen on the 11L and I am a little bit perplexed as to WHF's love of them. All that is pure personal opinion though.

I believe ours came direct from Creek (who own Epos) but they should provide you with a dealer list :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom