Need new laptop battery

Coz

Established Member
Reaction score
My Acer Aspire battery is not holding a full charge and I'm getting the warning message to replace it. Where is the best place online to get a new battery? Am I correct in thinking it is best to get a genuine Acer battery as opposed to a generic brand? Are the batteries genuine from acerdirect.co.uk/laptopsdirect.co.uk ?

Is this battery for an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop?

Laptops Direct - Search Results for CBI2072A Deals | Buy from Laptopsdirect:

Last edited:
The most important requirement is to buy a battery with a good branded type of cell, not cheap generic Chinese ones.

I bought an Aspire battery from Acer Aspire Laptop Charger | AC Adapter | Laptop Battery which had Panasonic cells, arguably the best available. It has proven to be better than the original.

Take care when ordering. You need the full model number, and note that some Aspire models use batteries of different voltages, make sure you get the right one.

The most important requirement is to buy a battery with a good branded type of cell, not cheap generic Chinese ones.

I bought an Aspire battery from Acer Aspire Laptop Charger | AC Adapter | Laptop Battery which had Panasonic cells, arguably the best available. It has proven to be better than the original.

Take care when ordering. You need the full model number, and note that some Aspire models use batteries of different voltages, make sure you get the right one.
Thanks for the reply. Are the batteries expensive from there? How much would I expect to pay for one for my Acer Aspire 5740 laptop? I can't see it listed on that website so I would have to contact them.

They don't have mine on that website, unfortunately.

On the link in my post, go to the 5000 Series, then the 5700 Series and select your particular version of the 5740.

On the link in my post, go to the 5000 Series, then the 5700 Series and select your particular version of the 5740.
Thanks, found it:
Acer Aspire 5740 Laptop Charger | AC Adapter | Laptop Battery
How do I know which one to get? There are a few different ones for my laptop. Do I just compare all the numbers with the ones on my battery? What if every single numbers don't match up eg watts and amps. Does it have to ne exact?
Do you think these are the best batteries to get from there? As opposed to the ones for around £30?

The options are just different capacities.

The genuine Acer battery appears to be 4800mAh. This indicates how much current the battery can theoretically supply for a given period of time, for example 4800mA for 1 hour. The other options are 4400mAh, 5200mAh, 6600mAh.

The option I would choose would be the 5200mAh, but in reality you would not notice much difference between them. My second choice would be the 4400mAh battery. All the batteries are 11.1V DC, and all have 6 cells except the 6600 which has 9 cells. All of them use branded cells from Panasonic, LG or Samsung. In my experience the higher capacities tend to be over-optimistic in a normal usage.

The much cheaper batteries use unknown/unbranded Chinese cells, which will not be of the same quality and probably have a shorter life. Frequently they do not deliver the stated capacity. Lithium cells can be very dangerous - don't take the risk use a well regarded brand. If you can, buy one that uses Panasonic cells, generally regarded as the best available.

The genuine Acer battery appears to be 4800mAh. This indicates how much current the battery can theoretically supply for a given period of time, for example 4800mA for 1 hour. The other options are 4400mAh, 5200mAh, 6600mAh.

The option I would choose would be the 5200mAh, but in reality you would not notice much difference between them. My second choice would be the 4400mAh battery. All the batteries are 11.1V DC, and all have 6 cells except the 6600 which has 9 cells. All of them use branded cells from Panasonic, LG or Samsung. In my experience the higher capacities tend to be over-optimistic in a normal usage.

The much cheaper batteries use unknown/unbranded Chinese cells, which will not be of the same quality and probably have a shorter life. Frequently they do not deliver the stated capacity. Lithium cells can be very dangerous - don't take the risk use a well regarded brand. If you can, buy one that uses Panasonic cells, generally regarded as the best available.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

My battery specs are:
10.8V
4400mAh
48Wh

Should I go for the 4600mAh out of all those on that page? They're all a different voltage and watt to mine. Does that matter?

Yes, the 4600mAh one would do fine. 10.8V and 11.1V are considered the same voltage as far as laptops are concerned. The internal voltage regulator of the laptop will adjust the voltages to the levels required by various parts of the system.

Yes, the 4600mAh one would do fine. 10.8V and 11.1V are considered the same voltage as far as laptops are concerned. The internal voltage regulator of the laptop will adjust the voltages to the levels required by various parts of the system.
Thank you. So it's not likely to damage my laptop in any way?

No 11.1V will be fine. Click on the question mark next to the voltage and it will say the same thing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom