Need new headphones but which ones

L

LJF-GTR

Hi Ive currently got some old ross headphones and they are crap now, have to tilt my head to get the two sides workin lol.

Anyways i would like some headphones with high quality sound, ive got a budget of around £50-£70 max and would like some headphones for listening to music and movies. With a good deep amount of bass and clear treble.

Cordless or Corded? I did want some cordless but from reading the forum im getting a negative feel on them so for the money are corded better.

Dolby? this is kind of a suprise to find dolby headphones but i think these are out of my price range for good ones lol.

Thanks for looking and helping Lee

mattski73

Novice Member
Anyways i would like some headphones with high quality sound, ive got a budget of around £50-£70 max and would like some headphones for listening to music and movies. With a good deep amount of bass and clear treble.
I notice a distinct lack of response, that's probably because there's no easy solution.

The Sennheiser range around £50-70 don't exactly have ground shaking bass, they just have good overall sound.

The Grado SR60 would be a good choice for clarity, but not for deep bass or comfort.

I’ve got a pair of Beyer dynamic 660's which are good but I have no idea about the Beyer’s in your price range.

As I see it you either have reasonable bass from headphones that are under your budget (you can make a saving), oooorrrrr good overall headphones, but you'd have to sacrifice a big chunk of your bass requirements.

For me there's no 1 ideal pair of headphones, that's why I have 10+ pairs!

WhyAyeMan

I've just recently bought a pair of Goldring DR150 headphones. These are a brand new headphone from a manufacturer who I previously had not heard of.

Anyone who knows me on here will be able to tell you that I have had a LOT of headphone experience, ranging all the way from cheapy £10 earbuds all the way up to £500 Stax headphones, and many in between.

I've not tried them for movies yet, and I have not had them long enough to write a good objective review just yet (that is in the pipeline).

I got them from hificables.co.uk for £62 so it fits in with the budget.

They dont appear to be difficult to drive.

I wont go into too much detail about these just yet, but suffice to say, for music, they are one of THE best headphones available at this price point without a shadow of a doubt IMO.

They have quality, comfort and good build quality all on their side. The sound is quite up front and dynamic, and these have excellent pace, rythym and timing, which conveys the emotion of music in a very convincing way. These make music fun. They are not out of their depth when partnered with the high quality electronics I am using them with IMO.

I would recommend them, but with one recommendation. I would say that if you like to hear your music laid back, then I would perhaps give them a wide berth and go for something with a more laid back sound, but if you like music served up in an exciting fashion, I am confident you wont find better at this, and possibly even double or treble the price.

WhyAyeMan

The bass on the goldrings is best described as punchy and fast, with decent depth. For my tastes they seem about spot on in the bass. Some headphones have not got enough, others too much. These hit the mark IMO.

I dont have Stax. I have heard them. They were just the basic Stax, however i was struggling to hear any improvements with them over a decent pair of dynamics TBH.

L

LJF-GTR

hi thanks for the replys im quite liking the sound of these goldring DR150 headphones also before spending that much on where abouts would you go to hear a pair because i dont want to spend all that much on them and they are not what i wanted thanks a lot Lee.

WhyAyeMan

Not sure where you would be able to demo them.

Must add though, that after some evaluation, while i still think they are good, i can say that they arent as good as my long term Beyers. I'd have to now say that after critical comparison, i might recommend them (particularly in low - mid range systems) but for a high end system i would look elsewhere.

They sound good from an ipod or similar for example, but if its ultimate sound quality you are after, i would perhaps look elsewhere.

I know this seems like a big change of mind from me, but i only did some critical comparisons only today and was surprised to find out what i did after all the hype, and it is my duty to correct myself.

However, dont take that as me saying they are bad headphones - they arent. Just not what i hoped.

Sorry for the confusion (and a review will follow in the coming days).

stewartbradford

Novice Member
This will sound a really daft suggestion considering the headphones original purpose as a gaming headset.

SteelSound 5H, I use it for pretty much everything, gaming, watching TV, listening to a LOT of music, watching movies. The bass is good (not overpowering), and overall the clarity is good, I think it's around £60 shipped from the manufacturer direct (I got the version with the USB headset it was about £70).

Or if you want a lot of bass Koss R80's are what I had before the 5H and they were bass monsters, but the build quality was awful, the left earcup connector snapped off within a month, bit of electrical tape and 10 minutes of work later and they lasted me a little over a year without any other problems.

Top Bottom