1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new graphics card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Lux, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello there, at the moment I'm running a 1GHz Athlon with 256MB SDram and a 32MB Nividia geforce2 MX400.
    I plan to upgrade my PC to a 2.0+GHz (either Pentium or athlon) to 512DDram (with the possibility to 1024DDram). At the moment I have only enough money for a new hard disc and a new graphics card. Now having had Nvidia for ages I'd like to keep it that way. but I must say I'm very confused with all the different cards that are offered by Nividia.
    They have like 500 different models. I basically just need one to watch DVDs, as I don't play any games. I was going for a 64MB or 128, not sure yet.
    so which would be the most appropriate card for my system (that still runs on the older setup but gives best results with the new upgrade)?
    I came across the Geforce 4Ti and FX but they seem way to advanced for my needs.
    what about the likes of Geforce3 or Geforce 4 MX??
    Any advice is appreciated, cheers;)

OOPPS just realised that Nvidia does not produce all of those cards do they?? what is the difference then if I chose MSI or ABIT??
    sorry I really haven't got a clue about the whole thing:(

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Peace

Peace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all the cards you talking about are Nvidia chip set ones and they come from different companies.

if you want a good card for around a £100 then go for a geforce4 4200 or a geforce Fx 5200 (Dx 9) or Ati 9500 pro.
    the Ati will be better with AA and AF truned on but otherwise they about the same quality.

AA and AF means Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering which makes the picture much smoother (very good for games).

good luck

Peace

4. mumu

mumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you dont mind me asking, why bother upgrading at all if you are only wanting to watch dvd's on it???

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    THANK YOU; PEACE ;)

well It's a bit slow when working on it, and esp doesn't work well with QT (quicktime) stuff. And as I'm upgrading HD and processor and memory it wouldn't be too wise to leave the videocard out.
    With "only watching DVDs on it" actually meant I don't play games on it. not that the PC is ONLY used for DVDs, I mean I use it for net and all the working as well.
    cheers

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    In that case you are better off with an ATI, they are much better PQ for 2D stuff (net and work and DVD).

Your apps are running slow, because you have a slow processor and slow memory, nothing to do with your graphics card.

Upgrading from an MX200 to MX400 is a waste of time IMO, and a silly use of money. Get an ATI 9000 (non pro) if you even want to consider upgrading your graphics card.

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I agree, a new video card will not speed up the pc at all with the situation you describe. If you're running Windows XP, the main source of your PC being slow is probably going to be the 256Mb of ram more than anything else. I have an athlon 1Ghz, but it has 640Mb Ram, and runs much quicker than on XP than when it had 256Mb.

8. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lux, my fellow 'debater of dvds' ;) - didn't I say that Ati was the way for video quality to performance.

Ati used to make really duff drivers, but have improved over the years and the radeon 9000 non-pro should run better than a a geforce mx 200 or 400.

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ....and it does. much better infact. ati trounces nvidia on P.Q and raw speed anywhere this side of £200. ATI cant be beaten right now.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,362
    I would be careful of putting a powerful graphics card in with a under powered CPU I put a Ge-Force 3 in with a 500 AMD and I was getting allsorts of problems, it even affected my soundcard on some games.

11. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    thats an isolated case i believe, garrett. i put my softmodded r9500 in my via c3 933 system and it works perfectly fine (just a little slow though lol)

12. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I put a Geforce ti 4200 in a piii 800mhz and it works fine. Takes the strain off the cpu.