Need new DVD-player (I really need advice!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Blaz, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok first of all I'm not a video- audiophile, and I got a tight budget: 600£ max. I just want a good DVD player. Prog. scan, DVD-A is not importnant, all I want is good sound and good picture quality! I really need your help because I got limited time to send back my Denon DVD-900. Don't get me wrong I like this dvd player but I feel like I did the wrong purchase after I read all the negatives that comes with the DVD-900 and its built quality isn't the best either.

I was thinking about the DVD-1600. But I don't know anything about this player at all and since most of you guys probably got much more HT experience than me, would you recommend this player? What's the audio and video like? Especially compared with the DVD-900. Your advice is indeed needed, thnx in advance!

NOTE: I have a Denon AVR 1403 to go with my dvd player

2. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need to raise your hand to get help here or what? Maybe it's because I'm a new member....

3. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blaz

Just relax a little. You've got a fine player in the DVD 900. Reviews of it are just starting to appear in various magazines and the verdict seems to be very positive. Unless you've got a very large display 36" or bigger with component inputs and progressive scan, I doubt you'd see too much difference in picture quality between players. I know I've had five DVD players in total and can't honestly say there was a huge difference between them. All I know is that my wallet is quite a bit lighter from the experiance. I think everybody on this forum including myself is far too preoccupied with upgrading to the biggest and best equipment and losing sight of why we have a DVD player in the first place. To enjoy watching films! Why not spend some of that extra money you intend to throw at an upgrade on buying some of the latest blockbusters. I feel sure that will give you more lasting enjoyment. The Denon DVD 1600 is due to be replaced soon probably about March/April so look out for a new model then, hopefully with improved features at a cheaper price.

4. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thnx man, you have been very helpful. Sorry to sound desperate but I'm just confused, there's just so many players out on the market now. Dvd players in DK are rather expensive than some other countries in EU and US. Now I just spend aprox. 300£ on the DVD-900, and when I think of it, it's a bit expensive, especially when you look at the build quality. My father says that I should go for the DVD-1600 or the Marantz 6200 (or is it 6300?). And now with a new player coming in March/April I don't know if I should keep the DVD-900 or go for the new Denon...

5. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon DVD 900 weighs 2.1 kg and the DVD 1600 weighs 2.9 Kg. Not a lot of difference really. The DVD 1600 is based on a Panasonic chasis with Denon added tweaks to the audio stages. It can play DVD audio discs and has a built in Dolby digital decoder. It features a 10 bit 54mhz video dac and 192 khz / 24 bit audio dacs. The DVD 900 has 12 bit 54 mhz video dacs and 192 khz / 24 bit audio dacs. So if anything the DVD 900 should have a slightly better picture quality. There should be some news this week from Denon regarding their new range of DVD players as they are exhibiting at the CES 2003 show which is taking place at this moment.

6. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention that the DVD 1600 does not have a coaxial digital output but only an optical digital output which many people in this forum feel is inferior to the coaxial type. I bet you're even more confused now than before you started this thread!!

7. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Denon UK and Denon Germany, my DVD-900 has a 10Bit/27Mhz video DAC and not the 12Bit/54Mhz Faroudja DCDi. Although the US version of the dvd-900 player has a 12bit video dac (and prog. scan), the dvd-1600 has a better image quality than the dvd-900. According to HomeTheaterHiFi.

8. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn this is confusing :D

First I can't decide which dvd player to buy and now suddenly Coax. digital output is better than optical digital output? I don't understand. Man I'm a n00b

9. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard anything to suggest that the UK version only has a 10 bit / 27 mhz video dac. It sounds to me however that you are really not entirely happy with your DVD 900. I can understand how you feel. When you pay your hard earned money on something you want it to look like it was worth what you paid for it and the lightweight build quality and small case of the 900 doesn't do it any favours. Maybe you might be able to get a good deal on a 1600 now it's coming to the end of it's life cycle. www.hifijunkies.co.uk are selling them for £350 uk pounds at the moment.

10. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's just that here in Denmark all things are overpriced duo to the tax policies. A region free 2800 MK II costs about 750£ here. And trust me, the Denon DVD-900 doesn't have a 12Bit/54Mhz video DAC, it's only the US models. Check out www.Denon.de

11. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to confuse you Blaz. There are two forms of digital output connectors on DVD players that enable you to connect your player to an AV amplifier so that the DACS (digital to analogue convertors) inside the amplifier can decode the Dolby digital or DTS data stream coming from your DVD player to create what we know as surround sound. Signals for front left, front right, centre channel, rear surrounds and the subwoofer are encoded in this data stream. The optical digital output transmits this data signal using pulses of light instead of an electrical connection and the coaxial output uses an electrical signal similar to a standard analogue interconnect such as a phono to phono cable. Most people with experiance seem to feel that the coaxial method of sending the signal gives better sound quality.

12. minimoog

minimoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get to Banbury Overture Hifi might still be doing the Arcam DV88 for £500. Seems a fairly good quality machine to me :)

13. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn...looks like that 50£ digital cable was a waste of money, but I will not to worry about it, in fact I'm almost gettin used to throw away money now...

14. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing is a waste of money if you are happy with it!! Just bought a Kimber DV-30 digital interconnect £70 to replace my £25 IXOS 105 if I can't hear a difference then that's a waste of money! but at least it looks nicer than the IXOS!

15. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vc820 have you ever bought any products from Hi Fi Junkies? If so, then how's the service etc.? Im almost about to purchase the 2800 MKII from Hi Fi Junkies but it would be rather stupid because of the service issues. Do you know if I could use that dvd player in Denmark? We use 230 volts here, I don't know about UK...

16. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The voltage will be o.k. Denon products in the U.K. are rated at 230v but I would confirm this when you buy the product and check what the guarantee entitles you too. Yes, I've used Hifi Junkies before. I bought a Mission M70as subwoofer from them about six months ago. I placed my order and waited for about two weeks before finally ringing them and was told they were really sorry for taking so long but the person who took my order was away on holiday and had forgot to tell anybody else about my order. I wasn't very pleased as you can imagine. Finally got the item no problems with it. Hopefully you might have a slightly better experiance.

17. minimoog

minimoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denmark? Ooops - didn't see that...

Sorry for my useless suggestion Blaz :(

Good luck with finding a player you're happy with!

18. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm going to visit my local Hi Fi dealer this week. I want to try out the DVD-1600 and see if it's worth the extra money. Anyone here who has experience with the DVD-1600? Since I'm not familiar with Prog. Scan or the Chroma Bug I have to ask you guys a question: Is the chroma bug only noticable when using Prog. Scan/Component out or will it be visible in all video modes? Thnx in advance.

Blaz

19. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Hi Blaz,
    Before you do anything rash, ask yourself this...
    Are you happy with the picture quality on your 900
    or have you got it in your head that, after reading a
    few negative reports, you think you've got a useless
    player?
    If your happy, stick with it.
    There are better players around but unless you have
    a top notch T.V. and sound system then you probably won't
    see any difference.
    The same goes for the choice between optical or coax
    outputs. You won't notice any difference, believe me.

20. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Yes, I guess you're right, as long as I don't have a huge screen I won't be able to see any huge improvement in picure quality. I got one question though. How can people say that the RP82 is so much better than other players in picture quality? Are these people geared with state-of-the-art Hi Fi equipments and BIG screens or just a 28/32" television like me?

21. MJViney

MJViney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rewind a little!

How can a coax digital link be better than an optical digital link if they are both transmitting the same bit stream formats?

I've still got my L plates on when it comes to AV matters but I thought one of the biggest benefits of digital was that it was immune to interference.

I can see a difference if the coax and optical systems transmit different digital streams throught different encoders and decoders.

Just a thought

Mike