Need new DVD partner for my scaler - SDI or Component?

Jasonjo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My much loved, SDI modded, Denon 3800 player has started to die on me, so I am looking for a new DVD player to go with my HD+.

Ideally, I would like to stick with an SDI player, but the choice seems to limited in pre-modded form.

I need something black, and would kinda like to stick to Denon if possible. I have seen a Denon 1920 SDI, but not sure how good this would be? How about buying a 1930 and then getting a mod kit from PJ Hifi or similar (they did my 3800).

Should I ditch SDI and just get a good DVD player to output interlaced YUV? If so, as so many players seem to include their own scaling technology could I just go for an entry level model?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Cheers

JJ

Hi,

My much loved, SDI modded, Denon 3800 player has started to die on me, so I am looking for a new DVD player to go with my HD+.

Ideally, I would like to stick with an SDI player, but the choice seems to limited in pre-modded form.

I need something black, and would kinda like to stick to Denon if possible. I have seen a Denon 1920 SDI, but not sure how good this would be? How about buying a 1930 and then getting a mod kit from PJ Hifi or similar (they did my 3800).

Should I ditch SDI and just get a good DVD player to output interlaced YUV? If so, as so many players seem to include their own scaling technology could I just go for an entry level model?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Cheers

JJ

Personally I would try to find a basic player that will serve as a good transport if you are considering the SDI route again. Unless you wish to use post processing or other features in more expensive players if kinda defeats the object and ups the cost.

I owned a Denon 3910 some time ago and decided to go the SDI route. I sold the Denon and now use a Philips 963 SDI as a transport.

Must it be a new player or would you consider used ?

AVI

I would consider the SDI-modded Oppo 981. I haven't seen it, but reviews are good and Oppo useability and transport speed is second to none.

I think CRT do the SDI modded Oppo 981HD for a decent price (Can I mention that here?)

Thanks for the feedback, I was already considering the Oppo based upon other posts I have read from Liam and Nick. The SDI pre-modded 981 is looking around £450 from somewhere like CRT.

I may try and get another Denon high-end player second hand, as I still use the player for quite a bit of audio and fear the move to an entry level player would hit hard here. Hopefully I can then also port the SDI mod over from my dying 3800 to the new player to save a little dosh.

Cheers

JJ

Assume you've considered getting the 3800 repaired?

Also I hope you don't mind me asking, did the SDI make a huge difference compared to Component into the Iscan?

Reason is, I find my Denon 2900 via component into Iscan HD pretty impressive and as sharp as going direct into my PW7. Sound quality is also very satisfying with DVDs and SACDs - so I too wouldn't want to go SDI on a Panasonic or Philips machine.

No offence guys :rolleyes:

2900 with SDI is sublime.... SDI gives raw 4:2:0 YUV colourspace direct from the mpeg decoder and avoids the d-a and a-d steps. The 2900 is one of Denon's finest moments IMO, but with SDI it's just that little bit finer :D

Hi Chaps,

Managed to pickup a second-hand DVD2900 for £180, which ticks most of the boxes.

Hopefully I will try and get Elliot at PJ to swap over the SDI card from the 3800 to the 2900...should be back up and running with SDI then.

Nice to hear the 2900+SDI is a good option :thumbsup:

Thanks

JJ

Assume you've considered getting the 3800 repaired?

Also I hope you don't mind me asking, did the SDI make a huge difference compared to Component into the Iscan?

Reason is, I find my Denon 2900 via component into Iscan HD pretty impressive and as sharp as going direct into my PW7. Sound quality is also very satisfying with DVDs and SACDs - so I too wouldn't want to go SDI on a Panasonic or Philips machine.

No offence guys :rolleyes:

The player is pretty old and recently the front panel display has stopped working and this last week the digital ouptuts failed - having had the unit SDI moddified I very much doubt Denon would touch it for repair and no local people seem to know a lot about high-end players.

SDI was worth doing, I did it mainly as a stop gap to get the very best out of DVD until the HD DVD market settled down. It's not night and day on a plasma (may be more worhtwhile with a projector) but a worthwhile upgrade in terms or better colours and a sharper, clearer picture. It also free's up one of my component inputs on the HD+ which is handy.

Yeah I wanted to keep to a good Denon player and try to SDI...think it offers a good compromise in terms of picture, usability and nice aesthetics :D

Well there's a bargain DV27a SDI out there for somebody!! The last two I had to modify, involved upgrading the mpeg board in order to do the actual mod. Cost works out to £500-600 just for all the modifications...

Hi Chaps,

Managed to pickup a second-hand DVD2900 for £180, which ticks most of the boxes.

Hopefully I will try and get Elliot at PJ to swap over the SDI card from the 3800 to the 2900...should be back up and running with SDI then.

Nice to hear the 2900+SDI is a good option :thumbsup:

Thanks

JJ

Picked a good model there Jason :smashin:

How does it look over component through HD+ compared with the SDI on the 3800?

Note,I found 1:1 pixel maping at 75htz notably sharper then at 720p but still haven't managed to get the clock phase perfect so I need to retune (takes 5 secs and done on PW7 picture Adj screen) at least once per viewing but often twice.

I'm determined to get there and so far have reduced FRC down to 74.97 hoping that's the key :rolleyes:

I run my 2900 through a Iscan HD and into a 37" PW7 so as you say diferences will be less noticable than with the big screens. Use a pricey Nordorst 1m Component lead so that should also help with sharpness but frankly was not an obvious improvement with normal viewing although it may help more when I blow 2.35 movies up to fill my screen. Never really did that before so couldn't compared. Like the fact the lead was expensive though :rolleyes:

Funny I also had a DV88. I lost faith due to it's disc compatability problems and it's difficulty with producing smoke - looked very odd. Got the drive repaired by Arcam and it lost the picture sparkle so that was the final straw.

Strayed a bit here :D, hope you can answer my original question.

Picked a good model there Jason :smashin:

How does it look over component through HD+ compared with the SDI on the 3800?

Note,I found 1:1 pixel maping at 75htz notably sharper then at 720p but still haven't managed to get the clock phase perfect so I need to retune (takes 5 secs and done on PW7 picture Adj screen) at least once per viewing but often twice.

I'm determined to get there and so far have reduced FRC down to 74.97 hoping that's the key :rolleyes:

I run my 2900 through a Iscan HD and into a 37" PW7 so as you say diferences will be less noticable than with the big screens. Use a pricey Nordorst 1m Component lead so that should also help with sharpness but frankly was not an obvious improvement with normal viewing although it may help more when I blow 2.35 movies up to fill my screen. Never really did that before so couldn't compared. Like the fact the lead was expensive though :rolleyes:

Funny I also had a DV88. I lost faith due to it's disc compatability problems and it's difficulty with producing smoke - looked very odd. Got the drive repaired by Arcam and it lost the picture sparkle so that was the final straw.

Strayed a bit here :D, hope you can answer my original question.

Hi Roman - still waiting for the player to arrive so can't say yet :(

Will try to update the thread once it arrives...

Doubt there will be a massive difference compared to component, but always striving for the best possible connection and I need the YUV input for my xbox console ;)

Cheers

JJ

From research the 2900 isn't meant to be the sharpest pic ever so comparing against a 3800 with SDI might show up this point.

I also understand the MPEG decoder is better in the 3800 - CUE aside. Again from what I remember reading, Panning is meant to be a little smoother but due to cost issues - 3800 decoder being more expensive - and the CUE problem, Denon went the Mitsubishi route.

Look forward to your findings.

All the best :smashin:

GULP! GULP! GULP! :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Realised today that my 3800 IS NOT FAULTY, but had been accidently put into Pure Direct mode2 by my 2 year old daughter without me knowing!!!!

For those with certain Denons DVD players, they will know that there is a manual knob on the front of the player that engages Pure Direct mode1 and mode2. I had mode 2 configured to turn off the display and turn off the digital output for when I used to listen to DVD-Audio discs and this is what caused the player to appear to have stopped working. It has been so long since I have used this feature, I completely forgot it existed and assumed the player must be faulty after checking every other possible cause...DOH!!!!! :suicide:

Feel a complete TW*T! :rolleyes:

So, anyone want a DVD2900 for a good price???? :eek: :eek:

Cheers

JJ

Oh my god that's funny!!! I really shouldn't laugh, but I'm laughing mainly cos I know I've done exactly the same thing and I really should have thought to suggest it too!!!

Oh well, 2900 for the bedroom then?

I thought my SkyHD box's remote sensor was bust. After a week I figured out that I'd accidentally pressed the "TV" button on the remote. :suicide: :D

ROTFLMAO

What I really love about these things is that we always assume the most complicated, highly technical cause for the fault! I thought the engine management system on my old Alfa had brought about a problem that was somehow affecting the air intake mixture and causing my car to hiccup strangely. It was actually a loose spark plug (boxer engine so spark plugs face upwards from the floor - design flaw that means you have to remove the wheels to get access and that they get wet and come loose)

Congratulations. Has that just turned you "Veteran" or were you already past it? ;)

Oh my god that's funny!!! I really shouldn't laugh, but I'm laughing mainly cos I know I've done exactly the same thing and I really should have thought to suggest it too!!!

Oh well, 2900 for the bedroom then?

Nah, way too over the top for the bedroom and I already have an LCD with integrated DVD.

Back to the classifieds...:( :(

My old Lumagen HDQ and a Philips 963 SDI or an Arcam Movie Solo (576i HDMI) is heading into my new bedroom :devil: :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom