Need new all AIO system but which one?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by satchmobob, Feb 1, 2009.

1. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All:hiya:

Just had to return my Sammy ht-z310 as i've now had 2 faulty/incompatible units. For some reason the component out will not work with my tv(a sammy le26r51 if i remember rightly).Anyway Ive now been refunded my £200 and need to get a replacement.

I can stretch up to £300 if i must.
    Can be either 5.1, 3.1 or 2.1 not fussed. Its only for my bedroom which is pretty small so i only use front speakers and sub.
    Needs component out. TV only has one HDMI which my BDP-S300 uses.

I've been liking the JVC NX-F3, fits my needs nicely. What do you folks think? Is the JVC a decent unit? Any other suggestions?

Cheers Guys,
    Robbsie.

2. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Sony htddwg800 - 3 hdmi, 2 optical, digital coax, several rca phono and component, takes LPCM (uncompressed decoded audio) over hdmi, so combined with a blu ray player (such as ps3 or s550) which has onboard hd audio decoding you'll get dthd / dts hd ma too. :smashin:

3. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Checking it out now...

4. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, its a decent enough system. But, and call me picky, its just too big and ugly. I'm not particularly an audiophile so an all in one system is fine just not sure which one...

So any other ideas? Having a look at the JVC TH-D5 now. Any views on this one?

5. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
  6. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will check it out now... Though i did see a similar set in currys. I wasn't overly impressed with the speakers. They just felt really light and plasticky. But ill have a butchers...

Keep the suggestions comin'

7. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Well needing component connections limits your options. But if you can do without that, some that are less big-n-ugly are: sony htsf1300, htss1300, htsf1200. All take LPCM over hdmi.

edit- i see you have bdp-s300, so LPCM over hdmi isn't the best idea for you. That player outputs hd audio as bitstream, it can't decode it (i think - please correct me if i'm wrong).

Something that decodes hd audio would be better... Onkyo htx22hd perhaps? Comes as 2.1ch but you can buy the extra kit to make it 5.1ch.

Lastly, fyi - all the systems recommended so far take audio over hdmi. So your connection would be from blu ray player to surround amp with hdmi, then surround amp to tv with hdmi.

Systems such as htddwg800, htsf1300, htss1300, htsf1200 all take decoded audio (LPCM) over hdmi, meaning hd audio from players that can decode it. This doesn't apply to you though (i think). You'd get dd and dts from these.

Something like the htx22hd will decode hd audio so with that you'd get dd, dts, dthd, and dts hd ma. :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Colspark! You're right of course, BDP-S300 does not decode.

So i do need something like the Onkyo htx22hd. But i'd really like the decoder separate from the sub. I'm probably going to end up with a horrible ugly box like the Sony htddwg800. But i'm really, really not keen:(

Ideally i want something dvd player in size, with separate sub and 2 hdmi in and 1 out. So is there anything like that?

9. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Well the htsf1300 and htsf1200 meet those criteria - but they don't decode hd audio. So you'd still connect your blu ray player to them with hdmi, then hdmi to tv, however you'll only get dd and dts as that's all they can decode.

Incidentally the htddwg800 does not decode hd audio either, so with that you'd be in the same situation as above.

So ideally you want something like the htsf1300 or htsf1200, but which also decodes hd audio.

Bit of a tough one mate - the onkyo htx22hd is the only all in one i know of which can decode hd audio. Hopefully someone will chip in with a suggestion for you.

Unless of course you're not fussed about hd audio, in which case htsf1300, htss1300, or htsf1200 would seem to meet your criteria best.

Either that, or sell your s300, buy an s550 or a ps3 (which can decode hd audio), then you'll get hd audio with the htsf1300 / htsf1200!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Colspark. I didn't have hd with my ht-z310 and i was completely happy with the audio out of that so i'm gonna go with the sony 1300.

Thanks very much for all your help:thumbsup: Much appreciated. I have literally spent all day in this damn chair with my lappy trying to find something suitable and an improvement over tha sammy. Hope the sony does the trick.

Now another hour or so to finnd the cheapest on line!

Thanks Again,
    Rob.

11. satchmobob

satchmobob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as usual i changed me mind!

Happened across the Onkyo HT-S5105. It was shiny so i ordered it:thumbsup: