1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new 32" TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Piya, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My 2 year old Grundig tv just died 2 months ago. The local Grundig repair shop where I left the TV for repair for 6 weeks couldn't fix it saying parts were difficult to get as Grundig is now bankrupted. Another tv repair shop says they couldn't get a service manual so can't repair it either :( .

This Grundig 32" Xentia costs me £850 from a mail order shop in London and now it' a rubbish. The reason I bought it because it has a vga input that I can feed a 856x480 progressive signal from my HTPC. Very few tvs have this vga apart from Loewe that are a bit pricey for me at that time.

Now it seems I can get a Mimo, Nemo, Aventos at around £1000 and get the optional vga fitted at extra. Could anybody tell me the difference between these three Loewes?

Alternatively I could get other tvs that have progressive component inputs and use a vga-to-component adapter to connect to my HTPC. Models such as Panny TX32PD30, Tosh 32ZD36, or a new JVC HV-32p37, are in similar price as Loewe's.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Piya

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    The jvc tv you mention has just been given a best buy five star rateing in the october issue of home entertainment mag and the panasonic ones in there aswell why not have a look.

3. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks peahead. I'll have a look.

Piya

4. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you still need a service manual for this set let me know. GTS now look after all parts and service issues in the UK. Grundig still actively market in the rest of Europe so there should be no reason parts would be out of stock.

5. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I bought a Grundig set from Dixons about 18months ago ... apparantly they have little to do with Grundig, made by Orion or some other budget OEM manuf apparantly.

Is that the one with the big black cabinet? I almost bought one myself as the VGA input would have been kinda useful to me.

A

6. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also if you can't get it fixed the Consumer Rights Act states that the vendor is responsible if the TV does not last for a reasonable period of time, regardless of the length of the warranty. Normally if a product fails in less than 6 years then the act comes into play.

Did the shop you left it at for 6 weeks actually diagnose the problem? When TVs "die" it is very likely it is a very cheap component that has failed.

Stuart

7. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orion are ironically well known in Germany, also Italy. Not sure where they are based, but Mastercare actually assemble a lot of their stuff in the UK under licence to sell under the Grundig and Matsui brands. Littlewoods/Index also sell their stuff under a variety of brands, including Grundig, JMB and Orion itself.

8. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well whoever/whatever they are the set is crap :)

...geometry is all over the place (if you put a grid on screen it's hilarious) and in 4:3 mode the picture is a trapezium !

I had mastercouldn'tcareless out twice and the tech scratched his arse and told me all flat screen tellys were like it.

Lesson learnt, as with most things you really do get what you pay for.

A

9. redStone

redStone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the higher spec Finlux sets have VGA connection.
    I dunno if these support the resolution you're looking for but it could be worth checking out.
    Look for the Marimekko line or the 82X series. Finlux

10. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's absolutely no excuse for a service engineer not to be able to fix geometry, I managed it myself on a set I got with an accordion shaped 4:3 picture, all you need is the service code. Also they shouldn't lie to you:nono:

I would get them back out FoC on the basis the TV is not fit for the purpose as delivered, or get them to exchange the set for one with correct geometry FoC, they are obligated to put this right for you regardless of when the 12 month warranty ran out.