1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need matching speakers for my Tannoy Fronts...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrubber, Jun 23, 2004.

1. scrubber

scrubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks, need your help and guidance!
    I have just picked up a pair of Tannoy Definition D700 speakers, mostly based on their stereo performance.
    They now totally outperform the rest of my speaker kit.
    There is little chance that I wil be able to get hold of a D750 for the centre, and to be honest the thing is far too big anyway.

Can you recommend a good match for these front speakers for a 5.1 / DTS set-up? Ideally rear speakers need to be wall mounted, no space for floorstanders. I also have a small rear sub running at speaker level input if necessary, so speaker size isn't a major issue. Centre channel - no idea - am open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have never heard the Tannoy Definitions so can't help with tonal matching but why not contact Tannoy and ask them if any of their other speakers (current or obsolete) are similar enough to use as a centre.

I don't think that the matching of rears to fronts is anywhere near as critical as it is mainly effects and not voicing so the range of possibilities is much greater for you. many people here seem to use the Mission bipole speakers at the rear and I used to use the Mission M7DS rears with M&K fronts which are as tonally different as is possible to be

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The Tannoy Saturn range uses the same Dual Concentric drivers as the Definition range, albeit in much simpler cabinets. Try sourcing an S8C centre speaker which, though it only has an 8" cone, would be the closest match to your definitions after a D750. I must say that your D700's would still sound different to the S8c, though.

Russell

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tannoy D700's remain one of my favourite speakers of all time. A friends father uses them for stereo listening and they are great.

Can I ask how much you bought them for? I'm guessing around £1500-2000?

You lucky git :rotfl:

5. scrubber

scrubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. scrubber

scrubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's actually a very good idea.... Don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess through they may not be open to recommending other peoples gear.

Funnily enough, I am using the M77Ds at the rear myself, and a Paradigm CC350 for the centre - that has got to go.

Thanks
    Steve

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good price.

Another speaker from Tannoy which I consider to perhaps be the best in the world are the Tannoy Red's. Its a 20+ year old 12" coaxial design with out of this world dynamics and detail.

You never see them for sale anymore though!