1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need little help with BFD

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Shin Akuma, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    :confused: I have just recieved BFD but I don't know realy where to start, I don't have the SPL meter, will try to use my EARS but the problems is I don't know how to use this BFD with my pb10-isd. :lease: help.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's absolutely no chance of you even beginning to get by without an SPL meter I'm afraid.

Nimby's sticky at the top of this forum should have all the information you need otherwise. :)

3. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    alright lets say I have the spl meter but my problem is I don't know how to opraite the BFD. and I do have the MS CD of test tones.

4. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Let's say I want to select filters and change the setting to suit my room and then I want to store the those setting, that is what I don't Understand. And to be honest with you IF I could find little difference just by using ears then I would defentily go for an SPL but if I cann't find any difference with ears I don't know what help an SPL would offer.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For a more detailed explanation you'll want to go here:
    www.snapbug.ws/bfd

Using your ears is one thing for setting channel levels with noise but they simply aren't capable of accurately measuring the volume of individual frequencies. An SPL meter is made for this. With a BFD you're trying to flatten the frequency response of your subwoofer at your listening position. This involves adjusting filters so that the appropriate frequencies are boosted/reduced.

I'm a bit confused why you bought a BFD having not done any research at all on it? £30 for an SPL meter to setup your system would be a much better investment than £80 on a BFD that you can't use.

6. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    :thumbsup: cheers mate atleast I know now, after reading all that, where and how to start. BFD came first on these pages I bought it first, I hope you are not confused any more :D. I guess i better put the wanted ad for an spl :)
    regards.