1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need LCD TV - to fit 560mm X 510mm gap!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dealmaker, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I have a specific furniture unit in the kitchen which cuurently holds a 17" CRT TV - I have an apperture of 560mm wide X 510mm High (depth not an issue)

I'd like to purchase the largest WIDESCREEN - LCD TV possible to fit this unit - with, our without built in freeview (I have a Sony Set top Box at present).

Seems many of the 22" and 23" sets around at the moment are just too big (mainly on the width).

Anyone help me with advice on perhaps a suitable 21" unit, or a 22" with a thin bezel and underslung speakers?? :confused:

Thanks

2. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?

:lease:

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't know about the sizes, but you also need to be careful of adhering to the ventillation requirements for each set. It is likely that this will be in the instructions so you won't know until you get it out of the box. Although I think the distances given by the manufacturers are a bit conservative, do not under estimate how much heat an LCD panel can disipate. Whilst it is not an issue for you, but for an example, my 32" panel raises the temperature around my central heating thermister such that it needs to be nocked up a couple of degrees when the TV is on. The thermister is about a foot above the panel, set back and with a large bookshelf in between so it is not as if it is being directly influenced. And that is just the panel, you could fry eggs on top of the media box.

-Ian

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. Yes I've also notice that my 20" LCD PC monitors put out quite a bit of heat (no where near as much as my 50" plasma though!).

Luckily there's quite a bit of depth in this particular cabinet - and by definition the door will always be open when it is on.

Your point is very pertinent though - in that I should consider allowing for an air movement gap around the panel - so the air behind can convect.

Still need to find a suitable panel though! - At this rate I think I'll be confined to a 17" widescreen version.

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Found this:-

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10278432&pid=206

which is a nice TFT monitor - but no speakers - don't know how I could get a signal from my freeview box into it though as it only has DVI and VGA inputs!

So I'd need to buy and configure a shuttle PC with a Digital TV card just to watch TV - bit of a chew on!

Why don't Sony make a version of this monitor with a media box & speakers? (no doubt they probably do somewhere!)

Anyone else aware of an alternative solution?

6. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?? :lease: