Need jack of all trades

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ajg, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After a camcorder but not sure if there is anything that does what i am after.
    1, will be used for in car shots on a suckered mount
    2, needs to be small and portable
    3, would prefer SD/Pro Duo as i think HDD/Mini DV will jump
    4, will be used also for panoramic/landscape shots and be able to shoot things like fireworks would be nice
    5, not bothered about HD, prefer decent quality 4:3 over HD
    6, 400 quid MAX

I have had 2 Sammy VP-X220L cameras, both second hand, both died in 2 days. I thought the external cam and on/off switch was fantastic but the quality was very so so.
    I I liked the idea of the Sanyo HD2 but worry over quality and it is kinda on my size limits. The Panny 150 is a consideration
    I really like the idea of the new Sanyo HD1000, some great features. Able to download onto external hard drive without a pc, 1080i, big bright screen, but i kinda need something now.
    I cant afford a seperate incar and home use cam setup.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    If you want SD 4:3 then I think miniDV will be your best bet - and offer the widest choice & best quality for your budget. There have been several threads on here (it's worth doing a search for info) of miniDV cams being mounted in cars, and they do not generally jump.

Mark.

3. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I don't think that there is anything in your price range that will do everything you want. That is, if you want SD or Produo.

Up it to £600 and you can have the new Panasonic HDC-SD5, or an imported HDC-SD7. The Panasonic SDR-S150 is SD only.....

The New Sanyo may indeed be all things to all men but it's likely to be over your budget at least to start with (in the UK) and even Eastern Promise doesn't always pan out like you expect it to.

4. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies. I didnt think there would be anything that i could actually afford :)
    I could have gotten away with the Sammy VP-X220L (or the 300) even if the quality of picture was pretty poor as it had everything else i wanted. Shame the Sammy reliability was truely shocking for me :(
    I agreee that paper spec Sanyo is no guarantee of actual quality and i realise that it will also be in the 500-600 range as well when it finally comes here.
    I did look at some import Sony SD7 which i think i could get for 500 ish, but i dont understand if they would be US models and if the recorded media would play on any screen.
    The 4:3 comment was worded badly. I want 16:9 but would prefer the best picture i can get rather than choosing a screen size/format.
    Alot of friend s have found DV no good for cars/trackdays. For the occasional use i would do i think i could get away with one, but are there any good looking/small units about?

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    It depends what you mean by small. Best deal on a High-end MiniDV cam at the mo' is the Sony DCR-HC96 at £323 from www.ebuyer.com

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    If you get a decent MiniDV with AV-in( like the HC 96) with a bullet cam, You get a decent recording unit with a relatively rattle free recording... and you dont risk damaging ( or even breaking ) the camcorder itself.. and probably within the budget

Even if you could get an SD/Pro duo model it would be much harder to shock proof it than a bullet cam

Do a search on bullet cams or AV-in on here as suggested by rhubarbe

7. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know the owner of Fast Films and have seen the quality of the HC96. It is a good unit and they can be found cheap second hand, i just really had set myself on solid state.
    I REALLY fancy that Panny Rhubarbe has bought, the SD7 or something? Out of budget but looks exactly what i am after.

8. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    If you want solid state I'd go for the SDR-S150. I don't think that HD and fixing in a car will go together - video will just be a mess.

SDR-S150 has no av-in so you can't use with a bullet cam.

I think you need to prioritise.

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Apparently the JVC MG575 which is SD HDD also has AV-in Probably worth trying with a bullet cam

10. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Think the HDD of the camcorder will shut down in incar situations. If i went that way i would be inclined to go bulletcam and archos 605 or something similar.

11. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The Archos is a similar solution but you don't get a great camcorder to use later
    Why do you think the HDD camcorder will "shut down " in car?

12. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what i have been told by other Noble owners who have tried various devices. Unfortunately for me some of their suggestions i could not afford (all suggested solid state as the way forward)!!! Something to do with the shock sensors on them, maybe they dont like 1g of cornering force or pot holes, hehe.
    The archos was an idea as i am a bit of a traveller so mass movie storage would have been another handy gadget. I think tho that the compression the archos uses is pretty poor, although so was the Sammy VP-X220L
    Think i am just going to scrap the whole idea and just hire in car stull as and when i need it. The most expensive route but its obvious now i cant get something i would be truely happy with that could do the lot. I could have pushed the budget more i suppose but its still too compromised.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.