1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need input before making purchase!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tommyboy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. tommyboy

tommyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting ready to buy a new TV, and have done a thorough amount of research and have narrowed it down to the following three:

- Panasonic TH-42PX20U/P (42'' HDTV Plasma)
    - Sony XBR Grand WEGA KF-50XBR800 (50'' LCD rear projection)
    - Samsung HLN507W (50'' DLP rear projection)

First some background info: I'm based in the US, and I watch mainly DVD's, HBO, and whatever I find on cable (like the Simpson’s). I don't watch sports, which currently seems to dominate HDTV broadcasting. I'm a casual TV viewer. The seating is about 6 1/2 feet from the TV, with no light sources that could cause glare (all the light fixtures are at the sides of the entertainment center). However I don't want to be limited to my current viewing habits, and would like to be able to explore HDTV broadcasting down the road.

Price isn't really an issue, though I don't want to spend *too* much (~$5k/£2.9k). I've seen all three of the HDTV sets in action and was equally impressed with all of them. I was able to find the Panny plasma online for less then $5k, which is why it's included.

All three technologies seem to have their ups & downs. Plasma has a much shorter lifespan, LCD can get black pixels, and DLP is only on its second generation and probably not a very mature technology. I'm really at a loss for which one to go with! Any help would be most appreciated, and please go into more detail then just picking which you prefer!

Any past experience, pros/cons between the three technologies would be very helpful. I've read a few dozen threads here, and I'm confident the people here are more then knowledgeable enough to aid me.

Thanks in advance!

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1 posted in the wrong section
    2 posted the wrong web site
    3 posted in the wrong country

we over in raining UK don't have HDTV
    also afaik we dont have those model tv's
    so we can't be much help
    try the AVS forum based in the land of bush

its sad when the entire world thinks that the most powerfull man in the world is a tree

edit-oh welcome to our forum
    nice to meet you

3. tommyboy

tommyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone with no political commentary can help?

Even if you can't provide info on those three models, comments on the technologies would be helpful. Most of what I can find online is rather incomplete or doesn't compare them techs against one another.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ..... I would have interpretted the comments as gentle humour............... divided by a common language, perhaps ?

This a friendly and helpful place, and you're very welcome. The questions you pose are practically impossible to answer, I'm afraid...... most of us on this side of the forum are front-projection guys (and gals...), with proponents for DLP and LCD... we recognise that both technologies have their limitations and advantages, and friendly jibes are not unknown.....:blush:

Ther is a FAQ at the top of the forum with lots of pointers to further info, and extensive reading and searching of the forum here is recommended as a great starting point for anyone interested in projectors.

Normally newcomers would have a budget in mind, and a view as to whether they preferred DLP or LCD. While there is an extensive commonality between projector models available in Europe and the US, pricing and local availability is a different issue - there is little point in members here advising you of the availability of a projector in a certain dealer in the UK, and, equaklly we are not really in a position to say where in the US you might be able to get a demo of a particular mode of projector.

Aaaaah ! the magic word................. demo - - - this really is your starting point - until you've seen a number of projectors in your price range, you really are shooting in the dark. There's a forum for projectors under $3500 and over $3500 on www.avsforum.com - while you're welcome (and encouraged....) to surf here some more to help you form a better idea of what you might like, you will probably get further (and more culturally adept !!!) information which would help you narrow the area of interest for you. There is also a useful explanation of the difference between DLP and LCD technologies on www.projectorcentral.com, and lots of reviews and technical info on practically every digital projector.

For fear that anyone would think me politically inarticulate................. I thought that US foreign policy was based on speaking softly and carrying a big stick........ as opposed to a big stick speaking softly...;) If you have read this far, I have to assume that you will recognise friendly humor, and take it as part of our welcome.

Y'all come back now !

Sean G.

5. tommyboy

tommyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I greatly appreciate your reply theritz - as you can imagine, many American's are a bit sensitive when being mentioned in the same sentence as Bush, as he's not really a topic or pride or positive discussion these days :)

Thank you for pointing me to the AVS Forums!